For anyone who has been to Labadee since the earthquake

bluegirlum

I have no interest in re-hashing the debate about whether or not RCI should've gone back to Labadee after the earthquake, as we had plenty of threads about that. But I'm curious to hear how things are on Labadee almost 2 months out. Is RCI still taking supplies and collecting donations? Are things pretty much back to normal? I'm really just curious because I haven't heard much lately.

We were there 2/14-We dropped off 5 tons of supplies,and financial support from the passengers-I do not recall the amount-We actually saw the boxes taken from the dock and on its way to be delivered to places in need. There was also a bin that was placed at the towel exchange desk that was for clothing donations-by the end of the cruise it was full.

The day we were there it rained constantly. We did not complain,knowing there were thousands of people homeless and sleeping in tents. We did get off the ship and shopped at the local markets and spent as much as we could. I am not a shopper but I did here. I was not sure what it was going to be like in Haiti but I am glad Royal is stopping and giving the people the chance to sell thier beutiful arts and crafts to the outside world.

Totally agree with Harryo. We were on the 2/6 Independence cruise and had wonderful weather on our stop. Supplies were unloaded from the ship and transfered to trucks on the pier all day long. We saw numerous very large containers marked "generators,"and lots of crates marked "blankets." The pier adjacent to the ship was jammed with supplies of various kinds. When filled the trucks drove away from the pier into the interior. This went on all day and continued after the ship pulled away. Without exception, every Haitian employee we met on Labadee thanked us for our help. We were very happy that we stopped at Labadee & got off the ship.

I have no interest in re-hashing the debate about whether or not RCI should've gone back to Labadee after the earthquake, as we had plenty of threads about that. But I'm curious to hear how things are on Labadee almost 2 months out. Is RCI still taking supplies and collecting donations? Are things pretty much back to normal? I'm really just curious because I haven't heard much lately.

We are just off the Independence 2/20 sailing. not only are they still providing aid but they were unloading supplies and then loading large trucks with items the entire time we were there. The volume of items was remarkable. When we finally set sail they were still loading large trucks with beans, oatmeal, bottled water and even stacks of slightly worn sun loungers as well. There were large stickers on the bundles that said Haiti Relief and Operation Blessing.

My 13 DD has to do service hours for her confirmation, and really wants to help kids in Haiti. Her idea is to do a "clothing drive" at her school, and bring the clothing with us for our spring break cruise. Does this sound even remotely possible?

I would contact Royal but I think they would have no problem with it-Are you driving to port? The cost of paying for the extra baggage on a flight could be costly-but then again you could ask the airline to pick-up the tab. Great idea!

My 13 DD has to do service hours for her confirmation, and really wants to help kids in Haiti. Her idea is to do a "clothing drive" at her school, and bring the clothing with us for our spring break cruise. Does this sound even remotely possible?

YOU are allowed up to (IIRC) 270lbs of luggage per person on the ship.

The reason I know this is that I (we) did a shoe drive last year for Jamaica. We flew southwest so we had extra baggage for free, and I called RCCL to make sure there would be no issues with RCCL in terms of what we were carrying on board.

We did the shoe drive independently of RCCL. We just used the ship to transport the items. We arranged with guest relations to use a luggage cart and employee to help us get the shoes, etc off the ship and into Jamaica (don't forget to tip the employee)

It sounds to me like you really don't have to coordinate anything with RCCL. If your ship stops in Labadee then there will be a place to donate the clothing on board (by the towel exchange). Even if there is not a place to drop clothing, you can always leave it at the market with the vendors whom will be very happy to receive it. Just remember that you tender into Labadee (still?) so you may have to make multiple trips to get all the clothing. AND if they dont have a drop bin then you are going to have to store it in your room (on your balcony?) until you get to the port of call.

I cant think of anything else. We had to deal with customs but you wont have to.....

We were just in Labadee on Friday (March 5) on Celebrity Solstice. Watched them load 4 large trucks with relief supplies. All profits from any activities that guests do while at Labadee is donated by Celebrity to their relief agency. There were also slips that we could indicate a donation to be added to our seapass account...an easy way to help.

The construction which was evident last year has been completed. It was a rainy day so we didn't stay onshore long, but it looks lovely. The pushy vendors are now in outside covered stalls and have pretty much the same stuff to sell. We bought a few things and they told us how GLAD they are that the ships are still coming. They have family from Port au Prince who are now living with them...so more mouths to feed. WE assured them that folks everywhere are praying for the people of Haiti.

Virginia

Fortunately the dock at Labadee is done, so we won't have to tender the clothing over. Labadee is one of DD's favorite stops (along with Jamaica) and she's been torn up about their well being since the earthquake. I thought her idea was a great one, but unlike in Jamaica, we don't have that much interaction in Labadee with the locals.

Unfortunately, it's a pretty sizeable task to take on, when we leave in 23 days, but, fingers crossed, she can get it done.

YOU are allowed up to (IIRC) 270lbs of luggage per person on the ship.

The reason I know this is that I (we) did a shoe drive last year for Jamaica. We flew southwest so we had extra baggage for free, and I called RCCL to make sure there would be no issues with RCCL in terms of what we were carrying on board.

We did the shoe drive independently of RCCL. We just used the ship to transport the items. We arranged with guest relations to use a luggage cart and employee to help us get the shoes, etc off the ship and into Jamaica (don't forget to tip the employee)

It sounds to me like you really don't have to coordinate anything with RCCL. If your ship stops in Labadee then there will be a place to donate the clothing on board (by the towel exchange). Even if there is not a place to drop clothing, you can always leave it at the market with the vendors whom will be very happy to receive it. Just remember that you tender into Labadee (still?) so you may have to make multiple trips to get all the clothing. AND if they dont have a drop bin then you are going to have to store it in your room (on your balcony?) until you get to the port of call.

I cant think of anything else. We had to deal with customs but you wont have to.....

We just got back from sailing on the Freedom of the Seas from 02/21-02/28 and yes they are still bringing in relief funds. From our balcony we could watch them load all the supplies from the docks in FL and then as we docked you could watch the trucks backing in and out transporting the supplies to the island:)

We were there thursday and RCCL dropped off at least 20 pallets, maybe more, plus clothes and canned goods collected from crew and guests...and an oxygen machine for a hospital (IIRC) that was paid for at least in part by RCCL (and i think some groups in NY/NJ) to the tune of $250K or more...(i heard a number as high as a half million dollars..) This machine was in 3 wooden crates that were off loaded...

I also heard that some political types in NY and/or NJ had sent several pallets of supplies.....

Ex was collecting things at Guest relations and there were forms you could use to donate money via your seapass......

I was on the same cruise as Harry O on the Jewel and they actually had a clothes drop off box for Haiti over by the Towel exchange on the jewel so I cannot imagine RCL would not accept the clothing. Of checking with RCCL would be the wise thing to do before lugging all that stuff to the port.

Archived