Egypt money question

doemichael

Hi

We are going to Egypt on cruise and although trips and lunch is paid in USD can anyone who has been recently tell me how much otehr items cost.

Examples are drink with meals, soft drinks, water. We are nto sure how much to take in egyptian pounds.

thanks

Your tour guide will probably provide bottled water and bottled soda. Most do.

When we went to restaurants, the meal was covered but we had to pay for drinks. The bill was in Egyptian pounds, but they accepted US dollars. Just divide by 5 to get the USD amount. We went to a cotton store, a perfume store, and the Khan el Khalil Bazaar. All places accepted USD as payment. The cotton store even had a glass covered counter displaying all the different currencies that they accepted. I've never seen so many different types. My advice is to double check with your tour provider, but I think USD is pretty widely accepted. Although now that i write this, I neglected to see where you are from on your signature. good luck.

I'll throw in the fact that even the street vendors took US dollars from us.

The only place I couldn't use my dollars was at the Egyptian Museum. We wanted to tour the Royal Hall of Mummies and they would only accept Egyptian Pounds. :( (We had strayed from our tour with permission from the tour leader while we were at the museum. )

Doemichael- I see that you're from N.I. The British £ is very acceptable in Egypt; the £1 coins are not as useful to them, but make a good tip. In a Sharm el Sheikh hotel recently, the room steward would bring a bag of £10 in coins and ask guests to change them for him into £ notes or £Egyptian. We take quite a few pound coins for mini-tips. A gardener leant over my balcony, and gave me a beautiful flower, and talked for a while- told me about his new baby....I gave him a baby gift of a couple of coins- that sort of thing.

Remember that most Egyptians can handle any currency, so a few euros are handy, too! Even the smallest booths in Sharm had currency converter machines, and could usually guess your nationality.....including the many Russians with their roubles. No Problems, they'd say, Asda prices here!

jocap.

Doemichael- I see that you're from N.I. The British £ is very acceptable in Egypt; the £1 coins are not as useful to them, but make a good tip. In a Sharm el Sheikh hotel recently, the room steward would bring a bag of £10 in coins and ask guests to change them for him into £ notes or £Egyptian. We take quite a few pound coins for mini-tips. A gardener leant over my balcony, and gave me a beautiful flower, and talked for a while- told me about his new baby....I gave him a baby gift of a couple of coins- that sort of thing.

Remember that most Egyptians can handle any currency, so a few euros are handy, too! Even the smallest booths in Sharm had currency converter machines, and could usually guess your nationality.....including the many Russians with their roubles. No Problems, they'd say, Asda prices here!

jocap.

Thanks, sounds a bit like Tunisia when we went a few years ago.

Archived