Where do the locals hang?

mbisson

We've done several Alaska cruises and we always try to find taverns where the locals hang out. In Juneau, we usually go to the Triangle (my wife is from Juneau and that's where her mom & sisters would often go--BTW-wife worked at the Red Dog before it was in its present location. Make that long ago a couple locations ago LOL)

So I'm wondering if Yukon or the others from in that area, might suggest a place in Skagway and/or Ketchikan.

Ketchikan, Arctic Bar, home of the happy bears!!!

never liked the arctic, being social seemed to get in the way of drinking. i have a hat, though.

take off your nametag and go hang out with the fishermen at the potlatch. they're all liars and bs artists but they're friendly liars and bs artists.

and yes, in jnu, the triangle is the place to be. a hotdog is part of the experience.

never liked the arctic, being social seemed to get in the way of drinking. i have a hat, though.

take off your nametag and go hang out with the fishermen at the potlatch. they're all liars and bs artists but they're friendly liars and bs artists.

and yes, in jnu, the triangle is the place to be. a hotdog is part of the experience.

Yes, but some tourists will complain that it's too far to walk over to the Potlatch. Maybe if they could ride the WalMart shuttle bus over there.

I've watched some foreign tourists actually take pictures of that hd machine at the triangle LOL

But I'm curious, what nametag is that you think I'll be wearing? ;)

Skagway no longer has a year-round public bar :(

probably understandable with the population much of the year

Thanks for the replies everyone...at least now I've got a couple more ideas :D

Skagway no longer has a year-round public bar :(

Moe's is now gone is it?....I have kind of a history with it going back to 1963. I was happy as heck to have an "Amber" there standing up at the bar in August 2007 and knew that it was on life support then...but nothing had changed in the 44 years when I had been there last.:(

Well thats it...I'm cancelling our Alaska cruise for this year.:mad:

there are towns other than ktn, jnu, sit, or sgy................

yxy has a two story log cabin and (or did) have a most excelant summer theater. and tahini hotsprings after hiking the chilcoot or kluane

there are towns other than ktn, jnu, sit, or sgy................

yxy has a two story log cabin and (or did) have a most excelant summer theater. and tahini hotsprings after hiking the chilcoot or kluane

YXY even has 3 and 4-storey log cabins, The Guild Hall now does theatre year-round, and Takhini Hot Springs has just been through a major renovation so is an even better place to soak :)

We've done several Alaska cruises and we always try to find taverns where the locals hang out.

HMMMM. The town I live in is called the "Gateway to Yosemite." I am trying to visualize why a tourist would want to hang out in any of our local bars, sleazy or upscale, instead of continuing up the road to see Half Dome, El Capitan, Mirror Lake, Bridal Veil Falls and the Wawona Tree.

Yosemite -- buncha drunks -- great views -- liquor smell abounding -- world famous sights -- stupid chatter about almond farming ---

Gee, which would that tourist like better?

I guess everybody has their own thing.

Yosemite -- buncha drunks -- great views -- liquor smell abounding -- world famous sights -- stupid chatter about almond farming ---

Gee, which would that tourist like better?

I'm a local-colour kinda guy, Mike - bars can be a wonderful place to find out what a community is really like. Certainly a whole lot better than wandering around gift shops! Over the years I've made some rather poor choices of bars, but also some very good ones :D

YXY even has 3 and 4-storey log cabins, The Guild Hall now does theatre year-round, and Takhini Hot Springs has just been through a major renovation so is an even better place to soak :)

I have a painting of the YXY log cabin highrises that was comissioned by my company and presented to me when we finished the development of Qwanlin Mall in the spring of 1972. I have forgotten the name of the artist and of course the painting is up in Sechelt and we are presently in AZ.

I have a painting of the YXY log cabin highrises that was comissioned by my company and presented to me when we finished the development of Qwanlin Mall in the spring of 1972. I have forgotten the name of the artist and of course the painting is up in Sechelt and we are presently in AZ.

It's probably a Jim Robb painting - he did most of that sort of work through the 1970s and '80s in particular.

OK, I wasn't going to post "my" odd hang out, (way too many posters already feel I'm over the edge anyway :) ) but I've had some fantastic conversations in laundry mats, along with some very informative traveling tips. :)

Over the years I've made some rather poor choices of bars

ah, so you admit going to the red dawg!!??

there used to be a place in psg called 'the bucket of blood'. i don't think they had a family night. they'd check at the door to see if you were carrying a weapon, and if you weren't they give you one.

ah, so you admit going to the red dawg!!??

Only off-season (when getting service was a possibility), and once was enough.

there used to be a place in psg called 'the bucket of blood'. i don't think they had a family night. they'd check at the door to see if you were carrying a weapon, and if you weren't they give you one.

We had one of those in YXY as well - my memorable visit to The Sluicebox was one of the reasons I moved here :) "The 98" of today only has the vaguest resemblance to the character of the sluice.

good luck with that ;) but why 'sleazy'?

You don't need to go to no sleazy bar to rub elbows with the locals! I'm gonna hang out at the local jewelry stores...but that's just me.

Archived