Carnival Roatan Excursion

SpaceCoast

I think that I have settled on an excursion for every port but Roatan. I have been to the Port board, but many of my same questions are posted by others and left unanswered.

What Carnival excursion have others booked and enjoyed? I'm debating between springing for the expensive Dolphin Encounter and Tabyana Beach excursion and a less pricey snorkle or kayak.

I did not see an excursion that offered the zipline, but I am interested in that as well. There will be four of us (a teen and a 9 year old).

Thank you in advance.

I think that I have settled on an excursion for every port but Roatan. I have been to the Port board, but many of my same questions are posted by others and left unanswered.

What Carnival excursion have others booked and enjoyed? I'm debating between springing for the expensive Dolphin Encounter and Tabyana Beach excursion and a less pricey snorkle or kayak.

I did not see an excursion that offered the zipline, but I am interested in that as well. There will be four of us (a teen and a 9 year old).

Thank you in advance.

From what I understand, there is a zip-line close to the new Mahogany Bay where Carnival docks. I think it is called Zip-n-Clip or something like that. Do a search on Mahogany Bay and you might see it.

Hi Spacecoast;

Two years ago I did the Dolphin Encounter/Tabayana Beach Break excursion and it's my favorite one of ALL the ones I've taken. Anthony's Key is really nice, and it's a nice ride getting there too. We were put in groups of six plus a trainer and waded into the lagoon to meet our dolphine (Bailey). We had about 40 minutes with the dolphin, which gave us plenty of time to interact with her - petted her, she swam around us, through us, we petted her, lifted her, posed for photos with her, we even had time to get our own cameras and take our own shots. There's a gift shop (where you get the "professional" shots) that's pretty nice, then it's on a bus and off to the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. White sands, crystal clear blue water, there's a reef very close you can snorkel at, there's a bar and snack bar/restaurant, gift shop, changing rooms, outdoor shower... I really recommend this one highly.

Thank you in advance.

There is a zip line right near the pier. I myself just walked around and looked things over. I wish I had snorkeled, later in the day I walked over to the far end of Mahogany Bay beach and watched people snorkeling. The water was clear and I could see fish and small squid from the pier there. It looked fun, next time I go that's what I am going to do.

The taxis are not set fares, you negotiate the price with the drivers or their boss. So I saw a few people go to town for $15 a piece eachway and saw a young woman pay $40 one way. Rediculouse.

Also, it is very hot down there.

Jon

I was just in Roatan 2 weeks ago and you don't need to book an excursion here!! IT IS GORGEOUS now that Carnival spent millions on the port. Just spend your day on Mahogany Bay and enjoy paradise!

$8 to take the chair lift back and forth all day or you can walk

the beach chairs are free except if you want a cabana that covers the chairs which is $20

The best zip lining is at the South Shore Canopy. Go to the ports of call section to get tour operator recommendations. I don't think the cruise line will let you 9 year old zip line, but the private operators will.

Hi Spacecoast;

Two years ago I did the Dolphin Encounter/Tabayana Beach Break excursion and it's my favorite one of ALL the ones I've taken. Anthony's Key is really nice, and it's a nice ride getting there too. We were put in groups of six plus a trainer and waded into the lagoon to meet our dolphine (Bailey). We had about 40 minutes with the dolphin, which gave us plenty of time to interact with her - petted her, she swam around us, through us, we petted her, lifted her, posed for photos with her, we even had time to get our own cameras and take our own shots. There's a gift shop (where you get the "professional" shots) that's pretty nice, then it's on a bus and off to the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. White sands, crystal clear blue water, there's a reef very close you can snorkel at, there's a bar and snack bar/restaurant, gift shop, changing rooms, outdoor shower... I really recommend this one highly.

Did you book privately and if so, who did you book thru?

TIA!

Gina

I just returned from Roatan last week. Clip and Zip is right outside the front gate at Mahogany bay, past the taxis. $40 pp with 13 stages. Great guides and professional, safe tour. The longest slide is 1000 feet at 40 + feet above the ground. We even saw a Boa Constrictor in the wild. You will be done in one hour and you can enjoy the beach for the rest of the day. Enjoy.

Thank you in advance.

We've booked through Victor Bodden for our excursion in Roatan. He provides you with a personal driver for the day to take you where ever you would like to go. He also has zip lining on his own property and a small animal park with monkey, which we plan to do as well!

Go with Victor Bodden tours!! The island is beautiful and they will take you wherever you want to go. There are so many beautiful areas there, and they will stop at differant beaches and restaurants or where ever you want them to take you. Check out the Cruise Critic area for the port at Roatan and you can find things that others do in detail. Also - google Victor Bodden and you can see the price. We toured the island by van, stopped to see the monkeys and animals, stopped to snorkle at West Bay, and had lunch at another sea-side restaurant.

We used Victor as our private tour operator and found this port to be our favorite (mostly because of the variety of activities we were able to enjoy at a reasonable cost). Saw the whole island, zip lined, visited his house, snorkeled, and enjoyed a dos equis at the highest point. Awesome and memorable day!

I would also say use Victor Bodden. We were part of the Monkeyheads that book with him in January and he was awesome. Like others said you get your own private driver for the day and can do whatever you would like. The group we were with had kids that were in the 7-8 year old bracket and they zip lined by themselves. Got a nice tour of the island and took us to a beach to eat and snorkle. Check out his website.

Went to Fins and Flippers on our own 2 years ago and it was great snorkeling and beach. Just walked a block or two and took the boat over. Very easy, great service, no need for an excursion.

Carnival no longer docks near Fins and Flippers, so it is not an easy walk any longer.

The best excursion on Roatan, if you want a beach is Tabayana. The reef is incredible.

You may want to check to see how many ships are in port at Mahogany Bay on your day. If more than one ship is there, I would definitely get a tour of some type away from the Mahogany Bay area. We got a private driver to take us to Half Moon Bay, West End Village and West Bay. We loved seeing a little bit of the island and meeting some of the people.

From what I understand the Mahogany Bay is part of Carnival and I am just wondering why any one would just want to stay by the pier and not see the island. I read that the island is beautiful and very safe to do on your own.

We are renting a car for the day and plan to help the local economy a bit more then paying Carnival to use the Bay area.

Don't be afraid to do tours from independent operators, just read the boards for the recommendations. Carnival some times uses the same tours and then charges twice as much.

What ever you pick I hope you have a great time.

We were in Roatan last February (Legend) and we did a horseback riding excursion on our own. It was fairly inexpensive, we chose to add the "swim" package, were brought to Fosters and spent the rest of our day swimming and relaxing. It was an awesome experience, the kids still talk about it.

I have the link if you are interested...

From what I understand the Mahogany Bay is part of Carnival and I am just wondering why any one would just want to stay by the pier and not see the island. I read that the island is beautiful and very safe to do on your own.

We are renting a car for the day and plan to help the local economy a bit more then paying Carnival to use the Bay area.

Don't be afraid to do tours from independent operators, just read the boards for the recommendations. Carnival some times uses the same tours and then charges twice as much.

What ever you pick I hope you have a great time.

Good for you for renting a car! I'm glad to hear it was no trouble. We almost did, but settled on a driver. We really enjoyed our tour and saw things we probably would have missed on our own, but we normally love to get our own car and explore. Next time we visit Roatan we will do that.

SAVE SOME MONEY!

What we did in Roatan:

1) First, didn't buy the ship tours. Uber expensive. (And, can often feel like cattle calls.)

2) As soon as you get off the ship walk your way to the taxi area. Sidestep all the tour seller kiosks and ask for a taxi for the day. Ours cost $80 for the DAY.

3) Told driver we wanted to ZIP-LINE and he drove us up the mountain to the ZIP operations. (Think there are 3 different companies.)

4) Did the Zip tour. Was exciting, beautiful, had Macaws, Toucans and a great view of the ocean. Tipped two guides, tickets for 4, and a couple of beers total ~ $200. Carnival price for four, around $400 or more.

5) Told the cabby to take us to a nice beach. He drove us (not far from the zipline place) to a VERY nice beach (can't recall the name) at the Western most end of Roatan. He suggested a "special beach" for $10 more but we said, "no thanks, just the regular beach please." LOL, good thing, saved $10 cause it was just one beach anyway. (Can't blame him for trying to make a buck.)

6) Found a shady spot under some palms and started enjoying the beach. There were beach vendors selling beers for $1 (woot!) and resturants and more just a short walk away. We're bigtime snorklers (always bring our own stuff) and we had the BEST snorkling we'd ever seen. Outstanding!

7) With about an hour to return we headed back to our cabby, who was waiting right were he dropped us off.

8) Got back to the dock with plenty of time, tipped the good caddy $20.

I calulated we saved about $300 that day, avoided all the group processing, and had an outstanding day!

GL!

Archived