Bug spray or sun lotion on first????

jtsbusiness

I know this possibly sounds a daft question, but which do you put on first, and does one prevent the other working effectively :confused::confused:

What do other people do, and can all the seasoned cruisers advise on the best ones to get for a happy uneventfuly cruise :)

Great question - my guess was suntan lotion first - and apparently I was right... BUT there are some warnings about suntan lotion and bug sprays with DEET.

Also, there are combination products which are sounding good to me right now.

Here's what I found:

"Health Canada says parents should not be alarmed by the study, but should apply suntan lotion at least 20 minutes before spraying on mosquito repellent. Officials say new research shows DEET is safe when used properly."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2003/07/22/wnv_spf030722.html#ixzz0gweFFGTk

And:

"Apply a separate sunscreen and insect repellent. The FDA says this is OK to do. Apply the sunscreen first.:

The whole article: http://www.ehow.com/how_5691104_apply-bug-repellent-same-time.html

We put on bug spray last since the smell is what keeps the bugs away.

and dates!!! On a serious note that was a good question. I'll have to pass on to my girlfriend who is doing a medical mission trip to Haiti this weekend.

Sunblock first, because to really work effectively you should apply 30 min before sun exposure. You should also use an ounce per application (approx a shot glass, or 1/8 of an 8 oz bottle). I'm a family doctor so this is part of my routine advice.

Good question!

Not sure about putting a brand name on here but being on a bike alot we use Bull Frog which has a combination of both. We're used it with great success.

I'm sure other companies have this too but this is the only that I have actually used.

Not sure about putting a brand name on here but being on a bike alot we use Bull Frog which has a combination of both. We're used it with great success.

I'm sure other companies have this too but this is the only that I have actually used.

I used to really like that brand also, but then my pediatrician mentioned that those types of 2 in 1 are not good for you, since you should really reapply sunscreen more often than bug spray- and too much bug spray (esp. with Deet) is not good.

To be honest though, here in my area the main problem is with mosquitos and since they come out around dusk the sunscreen really isn't needed then...but I can see how we may need both when we head out to tropical locales.

:)Thanks everyone. I knew if I asked here, somebody would tell me.

Living in the UK it is not that much of an issue, but flying to the 'tropics' I am sure we will need to consider high factor sunscreen and high factor bug spray. :eek:

We are touring in land in St Maartens, Tortola and Dominica to visit plantations and gorges. Would we need bug sprays for these? Other islands we are planning to go snorkling so should be back on the ship before sunset. Do the ships spray to eradicate mossys as they are leaving port?

We are with Princess, do they make recommendations on their newsheets as to what precautions you should take?

Being British, we know we should cover up, but we do love to get a tan also. It is how to be safe, yet tanned! :o

• 3 weeks later...
I know this possibly sounds a daft question, but which do you put on first, and does one prevent the other working effectively :confused::confused:

What do other people do, and can all the seasoned cruisers advise on the best ones to get for a happy uneventfuly cruise :)

Just a word of caution.... If you are planning any water activities in the caribbean, some sun lotion is hazardous to the fish and environment. They sale one locally that is environmently friendly which is really expensive. Just be sure to check in advance (sea turtle snorkle in Cozumel for instance) if you need it. :D

Since lotion is applied by hand whereas the bug stuff is sprayed on, I'd apply the lotion first, then spray the bug stuff. Also, that way the bug deterrent is on top. Try to use sunscreen with as little scent as possible, otherwise you'll be attracting the very critters you're trying to discourage.

Great ideas guys.

I hate sunscreen. My wife and I had to wear it everyday on our 9 day disney trip last year. Its sticky, gross adn makes us feel dirty. We call it SOMESCREAM! YUK! I hate gooey stuff on me. bugspray doesnt bother me.

:)Thanks everyone. I knew if I asked here, somebody would tell me.

Living in the UK it is not that much of an issue, but flying to the 'tropics' I am sure we will need to consider high factor sunscreen and high factor bug spray. :eek:

We are touring in land in St Maartens, Tortola and Dominica to visit plantations and gorges. Would we need bug sprays for these? Other islands we are planning to go snorkling so should be back on the ship before sunset. Do the ships spray to eradicate mossys as they are leaving port?

We are with Princess, do they make recommendations on their newsheets as to what precautions you should take?

Being British, we know we should cover up, but we do love to get a tan also. It is how to be safe, yet tanned! :o

I am from UK too and I have seen that Boots own brand had an insect repellant version of Suntan Lotion Spray. Saw it had a picture of an insect on front.

Will have to look out for some too, thanks for the reminder.

Archived