TOO MANY things to Pack

TexasLadyBug

I have been reading over the different "dress codes" for our cruise as well as what is appropriate during the day and I am getting overwhelmed by the number of clothing items my family will have to take. What is the charge on ships (we are on RCI Rhapsody) for laundry service? I think that would be much better than taking 12 changes of clothes for everyone!

Don't take to heart everything you read here about what to pack, take only what you need. You can wear some items twice, no one will notice or care. Both my husband and I take pants for evening that can be worn with several tops or shirts, plus wear the same shoes for all except formal evenings. You definitely do not need a different outfit for every day, sea days we rarely get out of our bathing suits.

Typically, we wear the same outfit the first and last nights dinners, they are both casual. We like to go out for a brisk walk first thing in the morning, we take along one outfit for that. I tend to pack more bathing suits than clothes, simple sundresses rather than shorts/ts and one pair of sandals to go with all.

The laundry prices aren't cheap, but certainly less than buying additional new clothing. I don't know what ship you're going on, some of them have self service laundry rooms. Whenever I have checked them out, the wait is long, so if you choose this way to go, make sure you get up real early or stay up real late. Laundry is not my choice of activity on a cruise, but if you have kids it might be a necessity.

A suggestion I read somewhere on the boards on this topic is to bring neutral colored clothing that goes well together. Someone suggested they bring all beige, black and white shorts, tops, pants. You can mix and match all the pieces and get many different looks from a few articles of clothing. I plan on trying this on my next cruise......not sure if I"ll like it, but we're flying to the port of embarkation this time around (first cruise we drove to the port) so I have to keep the luggage light.

I can tell you that I tried following the suggestions on my first cruise (pack everything you think you'll need then take half out) and we STILL didn't wear everything we brought! You really do spend a lot of time in swimsuits if you're going to a beachy type location.

TexasLadyBug....

Because what you will wear to dinner...is only worn for a few hours, you will likely hang up what you wore. This outfit, or parts of it anyway....can be worn again.

I have learned to send off to the laundry....the outfit(s) my family has worn post cruise. With a family of four...this is a lot of clothing for 1-2 days post.

We wear them while on the cruise...they are clean....and nobody has seen them before.

The "what we will wear home" outfits are typically an outfit we have worn at some point during the cruise vacation. If dirty, I will have sent it for cleaning.

Also, keep in mind that there will be many opportunities to purchase t-shirts/sweatshirts, etc... at the ship's stores and in ports. Pack accordingly, knowing that you will be purchasing these shirts and can wear them while on the cruise.

It is easy to be overwhelmed by the packing issue. Try not to worry. Most people pack way too much. I don't know if I ever heard of anyone packing too little.

Hint: Try bringing an empty (or near empty) suitcase with you! You will be acquiring all sorts of goodies on your trip....and you can alleviate any stress of cramming the goodies into already stuffed suitcases...if you have a suitcase all ready for it.

ps. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Bring more than one swimsuit apiece since you will want a dry one to change into. The above poster is correct in that some items you will only wear for a few hours so you can wear them on more than one day. Be sure to bring a sweater or other cover up (or two). We found the public areas to be heavily air conditioned for our tropical wear. Bring sun cover ups as well. I had to buy a surf shirt to protect my burning self in port.

Hi. Do the mix and match, white, red, blue, tops and red bottom, blue bottom, black bottoms. One good formal outfit with two shawls. Rent tux for the guys. A bathing suit with cover up. Two pairs of black pants for evening wear. Wear your first outfit first and last day.

We took too much on our 1st cruise in Oct. I had 2 or 3 swimsuits, 8 sets of shorts & tops, 2 khakis, 2 pants outfits, 1 formal dress and a couple extra tops that blended with the khakis and neutral shorts and a pair of jeans. Never wore the jeans. Mostly wore shorts all day. Rotated the khakis & toips & pants outfits (they are tee-shirt material, handpainted tops & elastic pants. I got them at a local craft show. They are great to pack! Usually just hang them and any wrinkles go away!) (Oh, and lots of undies)

I was sick the 1st formal night but i figured i'd wear the same dress or skip one of them anyway.

I took a pair of beige keds, sandals, dressy sandals and flip flops.

Even with my minimal packing we still had too much stuff. Never wore the jeans (but if i went ice skating i would have) Remember you will probably buy stuff too so leave some space.

Many people say take twice as much money and half the clothes. Or pack, then take out some stuff. (I took out 2 pairs of shorts!)

We spent 2 nights in SJ pre-cruise so I did the laundry in a nearby hotel since ours didn't have facilities. And I think I did 1 load on the way home.

Our last trip we packed one bag with water bottles, gatorade, snorkel stuff, sunscreen, bathroom stuff. On the trip home it was invaluable for souvenirs and the dirty clothes that could not be stuffed back where it came from! LOL!!

My hubby always packs a duffle bag and sits it on top of the rolling extra one. I carry my bag and the garment bag with the suits and formals. We always end up buying lots of things to remind us of places we saw. We also wrap the breakables in the t-shirts and put in our carry-on.

I tried to be good on my last trip (Explorer two weeks ago). I even pulled out about 1/3 of the stuff that I originally packed.

But I still ended up bringing home more clean things than dirty. I made a list of what I actually wore...

Evening Wear

2 formal dresses (shared one pair of shoes)

2 casual sundresses (each had a pair of shoes but could've easily shared one)

1 pair black capris with 2 dressy tops (worn with shoes above)

1 casual capri set for first night

Day Wear (this is where I WAY overpacked

4 swimsuits (one of these was an old one I used for cavetubing in Belize)

3 coverups (purchased one of them in Cozumel)

2 pairs of shorts

4 tees

2 tank tops

1 pair casual sandals

Yes, that's it (well, plus undies, pjs, etc). Next time I'm packing way lighter! I may even condense my evening clothes more but I'm not sure. I enjoy getting dressed up - I don't get to do it much at home.

HTH -

Lori

I'm certain I'll still overpack. I'm one of those people who feel it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Heck, the ship provides shampoo and a blow dryer, but I still bring my own

• 1 month later...

We leave the 29th of May from Galveston! We can't wait. The information you provided here has been a great help! The souvenier t-shirt idea was a really good one... I know we will buy those. And, I wouldn't have thought to take more than 1 swimsuit (we will NOW)! :p

Thanks again... And Happy Cruising!!:D

Mizzcard, You are right to take along your own shampoo. I pay a lot of money for my haircolor and I don't want it wiped out by using mystery shampoo. Of course, it works fine as a shower gel or handsoap or I'll use it to wash out underwear. The hairdryers onboard are fine if it only take a couple of minutes to dry your hair. If you have to style your hair while drying it, take your own.

Archived