Flying in to FLL on the day of cruise?

We are cruising on the Freedom out of FLL and are looking at booking flights.

We can get a direct flight that gets into FLL at 10:20 am. the day of the cruise.

We would rather not have to get a hotel, etc. the day before.

Have others done this and how long does it usually take to leave the plane, get luggage, a cab, etc.? We are coming from Toronto so would have to clear customs, too.

We know that there is a small risk of delays, etc. but think we would be pretty safe doing this.

Anyone with experiences in this???

Thanks!

We can get a direct flight that gets into FLL at 10:20 am. the day of the cruise.

Have others done this and how long does it usually take to leave the plane, get luggage, a cab, etc.? We are coming from Toronto so would have to clear customs, too.

We know that there is a small risk of delays, etc. but think we would be pretty safe doing this.

Thanks!

I just did a cruise out of FLL this January. We flew in the night before, so we were not as worried about getting there on time, but I can tell you the airport is very close to the cruise terminal, maybe a 10 minute cab ride.

We were on Airtran, and it took about 45 minutes for our luggage to come out. That was our only delay. I don't believe that is typical by any means, but it was frustrating.

we also always fly in the day OF the cruise, i know this is a no-no but usually there is a reason we cant go the day before, wether work or family related...usually if the luggage carosels are quick we are out the door and grabbing a taxi to the ship withing 15 min of landing.. takes about 12 min to get to the ship by taxi which is 20.00 w tip and we usually get to the port around 11am and are on the ship by 11:30 noon at the latest

Thanks!

If the plane is near on time you won't have a problem as the port is 10 minutes cab ride from the airport. However if the flight has mechanical problems, weather delays etc. you could have a large problem. The ship will not wait for you if you get delayed.

I strongly suggest flying in the day before especially since you are coming from the great white north where weather can impact flights big time.

Yes. We flew to FLL two years ago (March '08) for a cruise. What could be easier than leaving DC at 10.30 for a 5 pm departure? It was a gorgeous day, no delays leaving DC.

There was a storm blowing through FLL which diverted us to West Palm Beach. We were held on the ground there, then held longer when the storm went to West Palm.

We got to the Fort Lauderdale airport and picked up our luggage at 4 pm. It was the day before the cruise, so we went to our hotel and relaxed with a drink and a nice dinner. If it had been the DAY of the cruise the scenario would have been VERY different.

...........Anyone with experiences in this???

Thanks!

That's plenty of time in normal conditions. It is a little chancey in the winter due to weather. However I do it. You will clear US Customs with US agents at Toronto airport.

Thanks!

Ontario Traveller,

If there are no unforseen delays you should be boarding Freedom by 1130.

I see you are cruising in February 2011. I would HIGHLY recommend that you fly in the day before to avoid potential weather delays. You can book a nice hotel via Priceline's name your own price in Fort Lauderdale for under $50. To use the name your own price feature you should wait until January 1, 2011 to book the room.

As an aside, just in case it helps, there are several hotels in FLL that provide free shuttles from the airport and to the ship, and they are not too expensive. I was at the Hyatt Place.

The only concern I would have is a weather delay depending upon time of year (snow). The good thing is you are on the first flight of the day so you stand an excellent chance getting to FLL on time. A huge bonus is that you are looking at a 15 minute commute to the Port depending upon traffic. You'll be getting there on the early side (early for boarding anyway) so you should breeze right in and be on the ship in no time.

Looking for limo transportation for under 180 (including gratuities) round trip - any luck anyone?

From where to where? If you are looking to get from FLL to Port of Miami or vice versa, try Holland Limousine. You can get a Lincoln Town Car for $80 each way including gratuity. A 10 pax stretch limo will run you closer to around $230 RT.

Here's the link:

http://www.hollandlimousine.com/

We've used them several times and they are very reliable and professional.

Jo-Ann

Thanks!

Getting up at the crack of dawn to make an early flight, fret over whether or not there will be delays, and arriving to the ship exhausted (did this for our very first cruise) convinced us we would never fly in the same day as a cruise again.

We now ALWAYS go at least one (sometimes two, depending on budget constraints) day early. We arrive at the hotel, relax at the pool with a cocktail, pick up last minute items at a nearby grocery/drugstore, and arrive at the ship the next day nice and rested.

BTW, weather delays aren't the only concern...mechanical problems can be just as problematic.

By going a day early, you get to start your vacation one day sooner. All is good...

Jo-Ann

Weather delays are very real even when you come from the South. My sister and I flew in day before in Spring 2005. Thankfully, we had made that decision as there was a storm with heavy rains in northern Florida that grounded all the planes and had them parked in southern Florida. Those of us trying to get there were stuck on the tarmac, Me in Houston and my sister in Milwaukee. Ever since then, I make sure I fly in the day before. Had we tried to fly in day of, we would have missed the ship as we did not get in until after 10p.m.

Jen

Unless the Freedom is moving next year she does not sail out of FLL...she sails out of Port Canaveral..about 200 miles north of FLL...you need to fly into Orlando and then arrange either a shuttle or car rental over to PC..about 45 mins to an hour away...

OR I'm totally cluesless & you mean Carnival Freedom...duh...wish they wouldn't name the ships the same!:o

I'm facing the exact same problem. Leaving on Freedom in August, but we're flying in from Long Island. What to do? What to do??

Let me just state that we get horrendous thunderstorms almost daily in the southeast.

A good one will shut down CLT (USAir hub), ATL (Delta hub) and MIA (American hub).

I would be almost as hesitant about flying in August as February.

If you do fly in the day of, make sure you are early enough that you will land before noon. The majority of storms happen after noon.

Archived