Carnival Victory Smugglers Report

newt98

Just got back, will be doing a review shortly.

the good: we packed two bottles of malibu rum in our luggage, one bottle in each suitcase, and it made it to the room. also packed one rum runner that made it. in st lucia i bought one bottle of banana rum cream, and put it in my backpack, and brought it onto the ship with no problem. oh, and in st maarten i brought back rum cream and coconut rum cream.

the bad: they will tag it at the san juan port if it is in your carry-on. i know that has been said before, but i'm just verifying what i had read previously. also, in st maarten, the last day of the cruise, i bought a small bottle of jack daniels for our room steward, and security told me to check it at the desk, which is kind of silly because it was the last day anyways. so when i took it to the table, it told the girl it was for my room steward, and that i hate the stuff, which is actually true, and she kind of pushed it back towards me and let me slip it into my pocket.

the conclusion: while i was able to bring a bottle on the ship in st lucia, i saw another group turning theirs over to the booze table. so i think it's fairly safe to pack it in the luggage, but maybe 50/50 to bring it on from a port. and btw, the rum runner vodka was never even touched, it's still in my luggage completely full. and only one of the bottles of malibu rum was even opened, and it's still half full.:confused:

I have been curious after recent reports, and think we will stop on the way to the port & put a small bottle in our packed luggage...Leaving in 7 days, for the Victory so no pressure to hurry your review along! :D

We will still buy PLENTY on board, as DH loves his beer! So please no anti-smuggling flaming. Just for use on our balcony for sailaways before dinner!

We smuggle a bottle of Old Charter every cruise. It is not sold on board, so I do not think there is anything wrong with it.

I love Malibu rum and plan to buy some in Barbados. Hopefully I can sneak it into my cabin.

OP--thanks for the update.

I have been curious after recent reports, and think we will stop on the way to the port & put a small bottle in our packed luggage...Leaving in 7 days, for the Victory so no pressure to hurry your review along! :D

We will still buy PLENTY on board, as DH loves his beer! So please no anti-smuggling flaming. Just for use on our balcony for sailaways before dinner!

actually starting it as we speak.

the good: we packed two bottles of malibu rum in our luggage, one bottle in each suitcase, and it made it to the room. also packed one rum runner that made it. in st lucia i bought one bottle of banana rum cream, and put it in my backpack, and brought it onto the ship with no problem. oh, and in st maarten i brought back rum cream and coconut rum cream.

the bad: they will tag it at the san juan port if it is in your carry-on. i know that has been said before, but i'm just verifying what i had read previously. also, in st maarten, the last day of the cruise, i bought a small bottle of jack daniels for our room steward, and security told me to check it at the desk, which is kind of silly because it was the last day anyways. so when i took it to the table, it told the girl it was for my room steward, and that i hate the stuff, which is actually true, and she kind of pushed it back towards me and let me slip it into my pocket.

the conclusion: while i was able to bring a bottle on the ship in st lucia, i saw another group turning theirs over to the booze table. so i think it's fairly safe to pack it in the luggage, but maybe 50/50 to bring it on from a port. and btw, the rum runner vodka was never even touched, it's still in my luggage completely full. and only one of the bottles of malibu rum was even opened, and it's still half full.:confused:

What a shame that you feel the need to brag about breaking rules. Do you brag about other rules that you chose to ignore away from a ship? Oh, that 's right, it's my vacation and I will do what I want.

What a shame that you feel the need to brag about breaking rules. Do you brag about other rules that you chose to ignore away from a ship? Oh, that 's right, it's my vacation and I will do what I want.

since when is sharing information bragging?

:confused:

Isn't it sad that you want to "shame" someone else for their own actions? Don't you have anything else to do than follow people around wagging your self righteous finger in their face.

I'm taking my second cruise in May and on the first I never thought about smuggling because my husband & I are mostly wine drinkers (which we bought in port and carried onboard with no problem). This next cruise is a girls-only trip and we aren't really fans of hanging out at the bar. I'd love to have some rum/vodka and mixers for our room so we can hang out on the balcony and make our own drinks. If we don't smuggle, can you buy a bottle onboard? If you can, are the prices really that high to make it worthwhile to smuggle? I'm considering doing it if you can't buy it onboard. I don't have the moral objection to it that some people seem to have (it seems like a silly rule just designed to maximize profits) but I would be very, very embarrased to be "caught" in front of a bunch of people!

Isn't it sad that you want to "shame" someone else for their own actions? Don't you have anything else to do than follow people around wagging your self righteous finger in their face.

I agree. It doesn't harm anyone that he brought liquor on so why act high and mighty?! So sad...

I'm taking my second cruise in May and on the first I never thought about smuggling because my husband & I are mostly wine drinkers (which we bought in port and carried onboard with no problem). This next cruise is a girls-only trip and we aren't really fans of hanging out at the bar. I'd love to have some rum/vodka and mixers for our room so we can hang out on the balcony and make our own drinks. If we don't smuggle, can you buy a bottle onboard? If you can, are the prices really that high to make it worthwhile to smuggle? I'm considering doing it if you can't buy it onboard. I don't have the moral objection to it that some people seem to have (it seems like a silly rule just designed to maximize profits) but I would be very, very embarrased to be "caught" in front of a bunch of people!

Carnival does sell different liquors that they will deliver to your room and yes, they are very expensive. From the Bon Voyage dept. That why we smuggle a little banana rum when we cruise

I don't know why people get sooo upset when others ask about bringing alcohol on board. There is so much misinformation out there.

We just came from a cruise on the Princess. Before we left, we researched about bringing alcohol, water and soda on board. Many posters on cruise critic were chastising people for even bringing the topic up.

The reality:

Brought several bottles of wine on board, a 12 pack of water and a 6 pack of soda. Drank the wine on deck at a quiet table near the adult pool with the wine glasses provided in our stateroom. Towards the end of the week we were told we could bring the whole bottle to the table.

When we were in port we asked the security at the disembarkation to set us straight on the alcohol policy. He said we could purchase wine and beer in port and bring it onto the ship with no problem. We ended up buying 1 bottle of wine and a 12 pack of beer in St. Thomas, no problems.

I say everything in moderation. Don't go crazy, like checking on several cases of beer at embarkation in full view. I believe they want you to be discrete and don't go into a drunken booze frenzy.

sorry you feel that way about me. i was glad i did bring it on, especially after i paid $8 for a non alcoholic drink on deck.;)

Quick question for you. Where did you buy prior to embarkation in San Juan? Can you buy at the airport upon arrival or can you still get it at the pier and pack in checked luggage?

what do you mix with banana rum? that sounds DELISH!

ice. it can be difficult to find banana rum at times. i have found it at cayman, jamaica, and st. lucia. coconut rum cream was easier to find on our last trip. it was good too, but not as good as the banana rum cream. every port i go to i am looking for the banana rum cream.

Quick question for you. Where did you buy prior to embarkation in San Juan? Can you buy at the airport upon arrival or can you still get it at the pier and pack in checked luggage?

you can get it at the pier, but at that point your luggage is checked. there is a walgreens in town near the fountain that has a liquor section. there are two fountains in old san juan, one at the edge of town near the taxis, and one in the center of town. they are both within walking distance from the ship. i think you can buy it at the airport, but when we got in it was late and they were closed.

Why does that bother you so much? Did you ever drive 56 in a 55 zone???

G'ma.... where are you to get on your soapbox and preach the wrongs of smuggling liquor !!!:D

Did anyone ask for your opinion?? I am really tired of people who feel the need to post on a thread that has nothing to do with them. Please, if it's about smuggeling don't bother to read because you know you wont be happy and we dont need your opinions. It's getting really really old..

Damn right!

Newt...thanks for the intel!

i just put this up to let people know what they are enforcing. if carnival was that upset about smuggling they would just take it out of the luggage. if you don't like it, then move on. like others have said, i'm not asking opinions, i'm just giving a report. thank you to those that see it for what it is.:)

Archived