RCL or NCL

rhinomike

RCL or NCL  

10 members have voted

1. 1. RCL or NCL

• Rhapsody of the Sea
    • NCL - Pearl
    • NCL - Star

I want to take my family on an Alskan Cruise. We have cruised many times but never to Alaska. We want to depart from Seattle. We want to go sometime in June maybe July. It will be me and my wife an our 4 boys (ages 10 - 15). We have been doing some research and the only ships that we can find connecting rooms or a family suite is on NCL and RCL (unless we want to spend $15k for a suite). We would like to stay under $10k. We need to get 2 connecting rooms or a suite that will hold 6 people. Unless someone knows something we dont there are only 3 ships that offer this... NCL Pearl, NCL Star or RCL Rhapsody of the sea. I have read good and bad reviews about both. I dont think we will like the freestyle dining on NCL but I am not sure. I like to get to know our waiter and have fun with them.... Any opinions on what will be the best choice?

3 choices are..... (Rhapsody of the Sea, Peal, Star)

Pros and cons?

Thank you to everyone.

I want to take my family on an Alskan Cruise. We have cruised many times but never to Alaska. We want to depart from Seattle. We want to go sometime in June maybe July. It will be me and my wife an our 4 boys (ages 10 - 15). We have been doing some research and the only ships that we can find connecting rooms or a family suite is on NCL and RCL (unless we want to spend $15k for a suite). We would like to stay under $10k. We need to get 2 connecting rooms or a suite that will hold 6 people. Unless someone knows something we dont there are only 3 ships that offer this... NCL Pearl, NCL Star or RCL Rhapsody of the sea. I have read good and bad reviews about both. I dont think we will like the freestyle dining on NCL but I am not sure. I like to get to know our waiter and have fun with them.... Any opinions on what will be the best choice?

3 choices are..... (Rhapsody of the Sea, Peal, Star)

Pros and cons?

Thank you to everyone.

We are booked on the NCL Pearl to Alaska this year. This will be our 8th NCL. I guess it is not for everyone but we have enjoyed cruising as a family on NCL.

The family suites on NCL are excellent. We have been in the AB suite on NCL that can fit a family your size. The Pearl and Star have these suites. It has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living and dining area, balcony, and ther services of a butler and concierge. You will also have access to breakfast and lunch in Cagneys at no extra charge. This dining room is reserved for the suite guests and VIPs during those meals. It is a steak house in the evening and open to all for a cover charge. The service and meals are excellent. My kids loved going to breakfast at Cagneys. The staff treated them so well and they felt really special. The concierge will make all of you dining reservations for you so waiting for dinner will not be a problem. We think that the NCL suite perks are the best. The resort casual attire is also a plus with my family.

It has been years since I have been on RCCL. This ship is not a new one from what I can see so there is no ice skating rink or flow Rider. I have always enjoyed my cruises with them but we have just found NCL to have more perks and better accomodations for less money. I am sure we will go back on RCCL in the future.

Good luck with your decisions. We looked at Princess, RCCL, Carnival, HAL, and NCL for our cruise to Alaska this year. NCL seemed to be the best fit for us given our travel requirements and budget.

The 3 HAL ships as well as the Carnival Spirit and Celebrity Infinity all have connecting staterooms. The 2 Princess ships have family suites, but not sure about much else in the way of connecting rooms. Another option to consider is getting balcony rooms next to each other and opening the balcony divider between the rooms (not an option on all ships and cabins).

Of the three you mentioned I would definitely go with the Pearl. Newest of the three plus it goes to Glacier Bay.

I have sailed all three of these ships to Alaska. You may want to make your selection based on itinerary, since it appears they all have your cabin requirements.

Look at ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price.

Each port is unique, I suggest you find out WHAT it would offer your group for touring. In my opinion, touring is 1/2 the trip. What Alaska is all about. :)

Glacier- Glacier Bay is a definate highlight. But NCL offers an excellent add on Tracy Arm boat tour- would really add up- however with a group of 6. In my opinion, it's a "necessary" tour if you really want the best sailing of Tracy Arm. If the Rhapsody goes to Hubbard- it indeed is also spectacular.

Again, do your homework, and find out what would be of the most interest for your group. Then find the ship that offers this.

Archived