Experience in using a Kindle on a cruise.

askmyforum

• 2 years later...

I see this is an old post, but I've been researching this question myself as I prep for my first cruise! I found this article which I found to be really helpful and answered most of my questions. Thought I'd post for others who are also trying to figure it out. Happy Sailing all! http://www.cheapestcruise.info/2012/11/15/kindle-the-perfect-cruise-companion/

I always think it is funny to hear about people who are worried about the ability to download during a cruise. How long will they be away? I have about 500 good books on my reader.

Try this site, which tells you about free or very inexpensive books on Amazon (and other sources if you wish). You pick out the genre and they will send you a daily email with a few choices. Unlike Kobo's freebies which are mainly very old classics, Amazon will often offer you one book of a popular series to get you hooked on the author. There is some good stuff to be had for free.

Do you have a smartphone? I keep a lot of kindle books on my iphone, so that I can read in bed while my DH is sleeping. As my iphone is always with me, I read on it while waiting for doctors, food in restaurants, etc, and you can easily pick up the same book later on your kindle. Until you try it, you would not believe how easy and comfortable it is to read on a 4 in screen. Pages flip easily with your thumb.

If you do like to read while waiting for your meal, I definitely recommend the stand-up covers.

At home I enjoy a reader because I never lose my page and I can make the font as large as I wish.

When I first bought my reader, I downloaded books that I already had out from the public library (my wonderful free source, demonoid, is now gone. :( ), just to see which I picked up first. I quickly discovered that I found the the reader to provide a much more comfortable experience. Light, portable, touch the screen and you are automatically on the correct page.

I still pack one paperback when I travel, for beach days when I don't want to have my reader lost or stolen.

Try this site, which tells you about free or very inexpensive books on Amazon (and other sources if you wish). You pick out the genre and they will send you a daily email with a few choices. Unlike Kobo's freebies which are mainly very old classics, Amazon will often offer you one book of a popular series to get you hooked on the author. There is some good stuff to be had for free.

Sorry, the link disappeared:

http://www.bookbub.com/home/

Burm, thanks so much for the link! I just got Kindle app for iPhone and bought a bargain book!

You are welcome. :)

My big disappointment with Kindle is that it seldom allows me to download free cookbooks. Free to Americans, full price of $10 or whatever to Canadians. I keep trying though, and have gotten a few.

You are welcome. :)

My big disappointment with Kindle is that it seldom allows me to download free cookbooks. Free to Americans, full price of $10 or whatever to Canadians. I keep trying though, and have gotten a few.

My Cara Black novel was $1.99 Canadian. Would have been $1.39 if I lived in the US. It is not a currency issue - right now we are fairly flat. Ah, well!

I am on my 6th Kindle (don't ask). I have the 2d generation Kindle with WI FI as well as 3G because you need 3G in order to download newspapers, periodicals, as well as books from archives, of which I have hundreds, when you are out of the US. I download dozens of books from my archives before I go on a trip so I don't have to fret about that. Some of the new Kindles, like the Fire, don't have 3G. As previously noted in other posts in this thread there is a small additional weekly charge for overseas subscriptions for newspapers and periodicals and Kindle will send you a message once you are overseas notifying you of that and you simply accept. I got my first Kindle as a gift because I was taking a long cruise, four years ago. i have actually gotten my daily NYT and Washington Post on my Kindle everywhere I have cruised except off the coast of West Africa. I even got them when in Antarctica and on the Amazon. Basically anyplace you are cruising past that has ATT, you can get a connection while at sea. I got my cover on Amazon: it is a Cole Haan leather one. It has saved me many times when I have dropped my Kindle.

I can't imagine haul physical books around for a cruise anymore, doubly so if it involves air travel. My wife has the 3g kindle and never had much luck downloading over 3g. Wifi works almost everywhere though. However that works on my plain old wifi kindle as well. As for covers, I'd reccomend a the type that folds back over the top instead of opening to the side like a book. Its far easier to hold in either hand with the top flip than the side open. My wife has the book style and its fine on the spine side, but harder to grip on the other side.

Many of us have had a Kindle (or two or three) for a long time, but for the first timers, get several books before you go. It is easiest to get books while you are in the U.S., or wherever your home is, as you might or might not be able to get them when you are away depending on where you are going. The first time we were leaving, I had forgotten to do that, but remembered while waiting for our plane, and downloaded about six or seven books while I sat there.

They are great to travel with, or just use at home. I do second the motion about a good cover just in case you drop it.

I have the latest edition 8.6 (HD) that Kindle makes and I take it with me on all our trips. I don't want to use the ship's internet package to download books, so I download before we leave all the books and samples I may be interested in, usually about 6 or 7 items.

Don't put them in the Cloud but keep them on the Device, that way you can bring them up at any time without resorting to the internet on board. When I fly, I turn off the wi-fi for longer battery life, but my new Kindle HD 8.6 has an airplane mode, so I have to find out what that does.

Archived