NCL or RCL

rhinomike

RCL or NCL  

55 members have voted

1. 1. RCL or NCL

• Rhapsody of the Sea
    • NCL - Pearl
    • NCL - Star

I want to take my family on an Alskan Cruise. We have cruised many times but never to Alaska. We want to depart from Seattle. We want to go sometime in June maybe July. It will be me and my wife an our 4 boys (ages 10 - 15). We have been doing some research and the only ships that we can find connecting rooms or a family suite is on NCL and RCL (unless we want to spend $15k for a suite). We would like to stay under $10k. We need to get 2 connecting rooms or a suite that will hold 6 people. Unless someone knows something we dont there are only 3 ships that offer this... NCL Pearl, NCL Star or RCL Rhapsody of the sea. I have read good and bad reviews about both. I dont think we will like the freestyle dining on NCL but I am not sure. I like to get to know our waiter and have fun with them.... Any opinions on what will be the best choice?

3 choices are..... (Rhapsody of the Sea, Peal, Star)

Pros and cons?

Thank you to everyone.

Your poll results will be of little value if people respond without thinking through your situation.

But, to add my two cents. I would find a ship that has a 4 person inside and put all the boys in there. You guys take a balcony across the hall. Though you technically have to book an adult in each room, actually sleeping arrangements can vary.

If you want connecting rooms, book very very soon. These are always hard to get.

Open your mind a bit. Consider a one way sailing to or from anchorage. You will see much more on a one way, and you should consider seeing part of the interior of Alaska; it is too fabulous to miss. Yes, you will need passports. You will have far more options. You cleaqrly don't want freestyle, so you have eliminated 2 of your three cruises. That leave one of RCI's older ships. She might be fine, but were you brimming with enthusiasm, you would not be posting a poll. Explore a bit more.

Open your mind a bit. Consider a one way sailing to or from anchorage. You will see much more on a one way, and you should consider seeing part of the interior of Alaska; it is too fabulous to miss. Yes, you will need passports. You will have far more options. You cleaqrly don't want freestyle, so you have eliminated 2 of your three cruises. That leave one of RCI's older ships. She might be fine, but were you brimming with enthusiasm, you would not be posting a poll. Explore a bit more.

Why would you clearly not want Freestyle? With a family the age of the children freestyle is ideal. The boys do not have to eat every meal with mommy and daddy. this is one of the advantages to freestyle with older kids. They can choose to eat at a different time. We have seen this on Princess and NCL quite often..

As for a one way sailing, that might sound like an awesome idea to you but the cost flying back or flying to Anchorage usually makes the expense shoot up, especially for a family of 6 plus the added cost to explore the interior. You also need to consider if the parents and kids can take off more time than one week. I am sure the OP has considered all the choices.

Nita

I already replied to this post on another board.

But of your three choices, NCL may offer you more with Glacier Bay and NCL's add on Tracy Arm boat tour.

I do NOT agree that a one way cruise is "better" IF you do not have extended time for interior Alaska touring.

I voted for the PEARL!

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on the Pearl in June 2007. We absolutely loved everything about the ship and of course, the Alaskan scenery. We spent 3 days in Seattle prior to sailing.

Karen

... We spent 3 days in Seattle prior to sailing.

Karen

Probably the best advice anyone can give. We did 3-4 days on both of our Alaska trips in Seattle first. We actually sailed out of Vancouver, but either way, spend time in Seattle. Great city to visit.

My vote is for the Pearl. It is my favorite ship to date and it also goes to Glacier Bay.

We also enjoy the Freedom Class Ships on RCI, so we don't mind traditional dining but prefer Freestyle dining. Who knows, you may end up loving it. I can tell you on a port intensive cruise like Alaska, where you are in ports during the evenings on 3 nights, freestyle dining is perfect!

You also mentioned your budget. For a family of 4, you might want to check out a A3 courtyard villa or AB suite. The VIP perks on NCL are amazing!!!

We also enjoy the Freedom Class Ships on RCI, so we don't mind traditional dining but prefer Freestyle dining. Who knows, you may end up loving it. I can tell you on a port intensive cruise like Alaska, where you are in ports during the evenings on 3 nights, freestyle dining is perfect!

QUOTE]

I was just sailing RCI and they had an anytime dining option as well. Was told it was going fleet wide. You do have to prepay your tips and have to "sign up".

We went on the Radiance of the Seas several years ago to do the Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver. It was great, but on the subject of Freestyle dining keep an open mind about being able to eat when you want, we took late dining because we did not want to be rushed to get ready after long excursions and we felt like we were eating at 11:30 at night with the time difference. On our last cruise with NCL we asked for our same waiter each night and never had a wait, we tipped him each night a little bit and we got wonderful service, it was the best of both worlds, it was like the traditional dining, but when we felt like eating. My point is you can request the same waiter if you have a good one that you like and they will try to accomodate you, it just won't be at the same table each night. I think RCCL and NCL both offer a good product and you can't go wrong, choose the one that is best for your family needs.

Archived