What's up with the air-related fees?

sj cruiser

I just found out that our travel companions (who booked with a different agent 3 weeks after we booked our cruise) paid 25% less for their air-related fees than we did. We're on the same cruise with the same gateway city and the exact same flights. When my agent called Oceania to find out why, he was told that air taxes were subject to change and that was why our fees were different. We booked the cruise 14 months before sail date and received our flight assignments at the same time 2 months before sail date. Could it really have varied that much within such a short period of time? Any thoughts?

Could it really have varied that much within such a short period of time

Don't forget that there are several variables at work here:

Something about the taxes may have increased at the government level, or, the airline fare may have increased.

Did you ever try calling an airline three weeks apart and getting them to match a fare? It simply doesn't happen.

By the way, I used to rip out my hair over inconsistencies like this, but in the end you can never win. The economics of the travel industry just don't allow for an apples to apples comparison of this type. Too many hands make the arrangements and too many things change at the drop of a hat.

Just chalk it up to the luck of the draw, maybe next time you'll be the ones who are 25% ahead. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to whine because they also got double the OBC and a complimentary upgrade to boot. And, it was a TA I found for them (after consulting with others on this board)! The difference in OBC was obvious but I just assumed everyone paid the same port charges and the same air fees if flying out of the same gateway city. Now, I know there are more variables to take into account.

Ok, I'm done complaining. ;)

It is no longer a problem; airline fees and taxes are now included in the cruise fare, not broken out separately. Everyone who uses the included air now pays the same amount, unless they are not in a gateway city.

I believe this change took place in August of '09, and at the time, it was announced that it was specifically to avoid confusion in the pricing. The government fees, security and handling charges that are commonly (but erroneously) thought of as port charges are also now included in the basic fare.

Thanks, Don (or Betsy), for the info! We booked in 1/09. Is that why the base fares are so much higher now? So, does that mean that when you see the price, the only thing you need to add are port charges (or is that included as well)?

Thanks, Don (or Betsy), for the info! We booked in 1/09. Is that why the base fares are so much higher now? So, does that mean that when you see the price, the only thing you need to add are port charges (or is that included as well)?

The government fees, security and handling charges that are commonly (but erroneously) thought of as port charges are also now included in the basic fare.

Before 1997, many cruise lines charged for "port fees", but charged more than the actual fees that are assessed by the ports. Bob Butterworth, the Attorney General of Florida at that time, took action against them and made them issue refunds. (Obviously, this did not include Oceania, as they were not in business at that time.) since then, no cruise line charges for "port fees", instead, you will see something like "Government fees, Security and Handling" on your invoice if the fees are not included in the fare.

Part of the reasons for this, which the Florida AG didn't know or ignored, was that cruise lines typically do not know how much the actual port fees will be. Especially in smaller ports in less developed countries, the fees might actually be whatever the local authorities decide they are, that day. They also might vary if a ship suddenly has to change to a different port because of weather. In that case, some of the ports assess the same or a lower fee even though the ship did not make that port -- like a hotel charging for the first night if you don't show up.

In any event, Oceania decided to roll it all up into the basic fare. Yes, the fares were increased at that point to cover the fees.

Could it really have varied that much within such a short period of time? Any thoughts?

Did you book the same cabin Cat?

Is the bottom line the same?

Some TA's just list taxes differently but it all comes out the same in the end

I would ask your TA to compare invoices

Lyn

Hi Lyn:

My friends booked the next category cabin but the TA they booked with would have given me double the OBC offered by my TA for my category as well. I knew she was a much higher volume TA with Oceania and received special incentives. I could've switched TA but I felt badly about switching (not that my TA did anything more than place the booking--I had already researched everything and told him what I wanted).

I was just surprised that the air-related fees were so much higher for me than for my friends, especially since their base fare was just slightly higher than mine. In the end, they paid $5 more for a higher category cabin. Oh well...I guess it's a thing of the past and won't be an issue in the future.

Hi Lyn:

I was just surprised that the air-related fees were so much higher for me than for my friends, especially since their base fare was just slightly higher than mine. In the end, they paid $5 more for a higher category cabin. Oh well...I guess it's a thing of the past and won't be an issue in the future.

I would have thought the air fees/ port taxes would be the same.

Nothing to do with OBC

Maybe it was the higher Cat had more tax related fees.:confused:

Like I said some TA's just break the extra fees down differently but the bottom line is the same

We usually take the air credit & book our own air or drive so not sure of the fees charged

Have a great cruise anyway

Lyn

Hi Lyn:

To answer your question, it was the lower-priced (and lower category) cabin that had the higher air-related fees. That's why it didn't make sense to me. In the end, they paid $5 more for a cabin one category higher. If I had known it was just $5 difference, I would have booked the higher category, especially since they got upgraded from an inside cabin to an outside cabin for free!:eek:

Hi Lyn:

To answer your question, it was the lower-priced (and lower category) cabin that had the higher air-related fees. That's why it didn't make sense to me. In the end, they paid $5 more for a cabin one category higher. If I had known it was just $5 difference, I would have booked the higher category, especially since they got upgraded from an inside cabin to an outside cabin for free!:eek:

Like I said before talk to your TA ;)

Archived