Looking into Barcelona to Rome Sept 2011

mitchpam

As far as the pricing goes... hmmmm I may have to look again at the numbers.... ouchie

But bear in mind that with few exceptions (all optional, I might add) that the price you see is the total cost of your cruise. No upcharges for dining, no tips, no water, soda or juice packages, etc. There are optional shore excursions and several extra cost items (premium wine tastings, etc.) that can add to the price if you so desire, but you don't have to pay for any of these as you would on a mass market cruise.

When my wife and I were originally searching out cruise lines, we also thought that Regent seemed quite a bit more expensive than the other lines, but when you factor in everything that Regent includes that you have to pay elsewhere, the cost is much more palatable. When I'm on vacation, I don't want to be nickel-and-dimed to death, nor do I want any big surprises at the end of my cruise; just let me write one big check up front instead of a bunch of little ones that add up to about the same amount.

Just my two cents on that.

:)

Thank you UUNetBill... I have had no time to check into how many "two cents" we will have to put together, but I think that this Regent cruise may be more pennies than we had hoped to spend... but as you said, we need to look at the whole... and so I am still hopeful that it *might* work out. We will be sending our oldest daughter off to college, and will have one more graduationg in another two years, so we have to be slightly cautious. I am having an excellent time researching and reading though!! Perhaps "someday" if not for our 25th...

If you wait to celebrate until the Caribbean itineraries begin, the cost is almost half -- and you still get the extreme luxury experience. Here is an example http://www.rssc.com/cruises/VOY101123/Itinerary.aspx . The Voyager (our favorite ship) is also all balconies -- has a separate shower and tub. The Western Caribbean cruise is exotic and is a good place to be in the cold months.

Just a thought. . . . .

P.S. I know that the itinerary I gave you a link for is in 2010 -- just wanted to give an example. Alaska cruises are similarly priced.

TravelCat, I *love* the Carribean, but we have never been to Europe. We have friends who are in Rome and would love to be able to see them... and Rome. They would be able to show us around and be our tour guides while in Rome.... the cruise would take care of "the rest" of what we would like to see and do...not to mention that we would be in Marseille France on our anniversary if we do get to do this. That is the thinking at this point. It is another year and a half away, and ANYTHING is possible, so...

This segment seems to have disappeared from the RSSC site.

I'm not sure to which segment you're referring. I see both the cruise mentioned by the OP and the cruise mentioned by TC on the website. Were you checking for the cruise mentioned by TC in 2011 instead of 2010?

Dave

I spoke with a Regent person and he gave me the quote for an H guarantee. It is exactly the same as what I figured out from the website(once I was informed by my CC friends as to how to read it).He also informed me that there are only 8 cabins at that rate and that I should book asap. I am wondering what time frame I should be looking to book. It seems VERY early and we are really NOT sure about affording such an extravagance just yet. I am also looking at a 7 day Celebrity cruise, but their prices are not up yet for 2011. How early do cruises like this fill up?

I spoke with a Regent person and he gave me the quote for an H guarantee. It is exactly the same as what I figured out from the website(once I was informed by my CC friends as to how to read it).He also informed me that there are only 8 cabins at that rate and that I should book asap. I am wondering what time frame I should be looking to book. It seems VERY early and we are really NOT sure about affording such an extravagance just yet. I am also looking at a 7 day Celebrity cruise, but their prices are not up yet for 2011. How early do cruises like this fill up?

Pam,

Since they only have eight H suites, I don't think they sell very many H guarantees. Once the H guarantees sell out, you would have to move up to a G which is probably $200 to $300 more pp. If you're very intrested in this cruise, I'd suggest booking the H guarantee now and putting down a deposit. If you book and then cancel before 120 days from the date of the cruise, you would lose $200 from your total deposit (i.e., the deposit for you and your husband) as an administrative cancellation fee. However, if within 12 months of the date you canceled you book a Regent cruise for travel anytime, the $200 fee would be returned to you as a cruise credit against your new cruise fare.

Dave

Thank you Dave, I guess we will take our chances that the H's might fill up. I mean, if we are truly thinking about spending $18,000 on this cruise, what is $500 more if the H's are sold out... I have a feeling that we will have to pass on Regent though... we just received financial info from colleges, and it is EXPENSIVE! I now have a new dream of someday going to sail with Regent... and perhaps *someday*...

Mitchpam - we're in a similar boat, no pun intended - we have a junior and a freshman in HS, both looking into colleges - the oldest is leaving next week with mom for a college discovery tour of the east coast. . .big $$ indeed!!

Luckily, our oldest is looking at an ROTC scholarship, otherwise, well, it's local schools for her!!

I'm afraid we've already booked 3 of the H Gty cabins on this sailing - taking us, the young 'uns, and DW's parents. It's still a long way off, though, so I think that other posters have given you good advice, i.e. if there's any chance at all you'll be able to go, lay in a deposit. . .that way you're on the list. . .again, just my two cents. :)

Thank UUNetBill We still have one college visit to go and it is in Indiana, we are in Maine. Best of luck with your visits. Our youngest is starting the search process in a few weeks. Lord knows I would *love* a cruise vacation, but we may just have to settle for a visit to Rome and seeing friends... which is certainly nothing to sneeze at! Thanks for your two cents... it always helps with sanity to know you are not sailing alone and that others are in the same boat... pun intended. (although it sounds like you *actually * get to be in a boat!! Have fun!!)

Archived