Sting Ray sandbar with Kids?

Kidsx5

We recently went to the Stingray sandbar this past November.

My daughter was 6, and the youngest member of our group was 5.

My six year old snorkeled a bit, but both kids clung to the adults while seeing the stingrays.

We didn't go on a cruise excursion, instead we booked through stingraysailing.com

We found out about Stingray Sailing from my sister, who booked them last spring... it's a catamaran, and they don't take more than 25 people at a time... it worked for her because my nephew suffers from something in the autism spectrum.

Great trip... super affordable... and there were around 20 people total on our tour.

pics

The 5 year old

11434_1246171083554_1507726387_30674415_4815312_n.jpg

My 6 year old daughter clinging to my wife

11434_1246171203557_1507726387_30674418_1135252_n.jpg

One of the two underwater stingray shots that came out.

11434_1246171163556_1507726387_30674417_5803407_n.jpg

What was nice was the one guy, Chip (I believe) dove off the front of the catamaran while we were sailing back, picking up stuff from the seafloor, and climbing back up the back of the boat for the kids to touch and see. Conch, starfish... stuff like that.

edit:

I would go with this company again...

We did the snorkel sting ray excursion in Grand Cayman with Captain Marvins. We booked this excursion on our own it was fantastic when we did it. I really enjoyed it but was a bit freaked out when I tried to feed a sting ray. It felt like a vacuume cleaner sucking on my had. I did not think that my kids would be comfortable with this trip if they were young. My kids would be afraid because they are really big and will swim right up to you, rub against your legs and even swim betyween your legs. Happened to my husband. Maybe your kids are more adventurous than mine are. I personally would be OK bringing an older child say 10 or 12. Just my 2 cents.

I would, but then it totally depends on the child. My DD, almost 2yo, loves water and liked her trip. She wasn't keen on petting the rays, but really liked looking at them. We also had a little blow up raft with a window in it so she could perch safely out of the water, but still got to see the action.

This trip would be torture to water adverse children that are afraid of new things.

We went on a private tour via the Bucaneer catamaran that also stopped at 2 other snorkling sites.

I have a 2 1/2 and 4 yr old and we did the tour that included Stingray City, Hell and the Turtle Farm. My 2 yr old is terrified of water (ocean, pool, etc) so she didn't want to go into the water but she LOVED the boatride out to the sandbar. My 4 yr old had no fear of going in the water with her daddy. They even had lifevests to put on, if you want. There was another family there wtih a not-quite 2 yr old who they took in the water as well. That little one seemed happy, too.

We took DD who is 5 to swim with the Stingrays and she loved it. We did prep her for it in advance so she knew what she was going to see and experience and I think that really helped. We referred to it as going to swim with the "big fishies" We did it through a private tour since the cruise line had an age limit (6 I think) The private tour was cheaper and much better. Like 2preschoolers, we also toured Hell and the turtle farm afterwards. Turtle Farm was really nice as well.

I did the Sting Ray excursion through Carnival, but I was an adult. (Still am, I think!). Our cruise was the second week of December, so there were very few young kids there. The ones I did see were probably 8-12 years old and loving it. We could scoop out chopped squid from a bucket to feed them, and it was definitely a "Hoovering" experience! My two 20's kids also loved it, but their 20's friend who was cruising with us, wouldn't even get off the boat. I also saw a number of other adults who wouldn't go in the water, which is about waist-high for an adult. We had to wear life vests, like the ones in the picture. My 3-year old grandchild would hate this! My one-year old grandchild would probably leap into the water unassisted and throw a fit if she were pulled out. It really does depend on the comfortability of anyone (child or adult). I thought it was one of the best excursions I ever did, but it's not for everyone. Now, 7-Mile Beach on GC is huge, and has soft sand and calm, beautiful "walk-in" water. I've been there several times, and have seen plenty of young toddlers and kids having a wonderful time! It's a public beach with a minimal admission fee, and easy to get to by taxi.

heather looks like you got your answer but I'd say yes all the way, you can always hold you 4 yr old:)

Facebook me if you need any help planning you know I love this stuff;)

heather looks like you got your answer but I'd say yes all the way, you can always hold you 4 yr old:)

Facebook me if you need any help planning you know I love this stuff;)

Hey Missy! :) Thanks for the input-I'm sure I am going to have lots more questions so I'll be messaging you soon!

We are booked with Moby Dick's, and they assured be that they have had infants on their tour before. We have a 7 year old, and a 10 month old. The 7 year old is planning on getting in the water, Daddy and our 10 month old will just watch from the boat. Wish us luck!

We'd been before when the older kids were little and went back last year with a 3yo, 4yo, 3-10yos, a 12yo and the rest were older. The 3 and 4 year old did great....we carried them cause is was a little deep for them but they had a great time. The only one that refused to get in the water was one of the 10 year olds....but I could have guessed that before we ever booked the tour....and it was ok....he just watched from the boat.

You need to know your kids......are they water bugs? Adventurous?

r/Judy

We've NEVER paid an admission fee" for 7 Mile Beach! It's public! No fee!

You're right. What I meant to say was that we paid a minimal amount to rent beach chairs. Sorry for the confusion! (The area we were dropped off at had a guy standing right there to rent us a beach chair).

Archived