Denale Shuttle vs. Tundra Tour

My Lady Sydney

My Lady: There are six of us going to Alaska in May 2005. I have been researching Denali and we are planning to do the shuttle. The only difference appears to be that there is no tour guide on the shuttle. You can get off and on the shuttle also. (Space permitting). There is quite a difference in the price. The shuttle is about $18.50 while the Tundra Tour is about $75. They both go to mile 53. We are going to pack a lunch and stop for a picnic. Also, you can by two tickets on the shuttle and get one for free. Now I haven't actually done this yet so I also would like to hear other opinions on this option.

I take the shuttles into Denali every trip and have been on many. I have YET to encounter a driver who was not informative and knowing Denali Park extensively. The TOUR buses have a guide on board, and a lunch. Most lodgings will pack for you, or consider what I do- bring a loaf of bread, peanut butter and jelly (knife would be good too :) ) drinks, chips etc. Probably at the most $15.

The savings are significant 1/3 the cost PLUS the ability to schedule your own bus time into the Park. There is NO WAY I would recommend anyone going independent to take the tour buses. Certainly on cruisetours with one tour included- you never want to consider the Natural History tour and always get the Tundra Wilderness tour. But independents- SHUTTLE!!!!!!!!!

Pricing and schedule - http://www.nps.gov/dena

To understand the headings, keep in mind that all tours and shuttles are operating on a single road (both in and out of the park). So, the headings mark distances along this road, which translates to more scenery and wildlife opportunity. Kantishna is very far and offers great activities if you are actually overnighting in Kantishna...otherwise, the marginal utility is probably not worth the time. We did Tundra Wilderness Tour and pushed on to Stony Hill because Mt McKinnley was out. From this, I'd say the Tolkat (where the tour normally ends) is not deep enough. So you'll probably be happy with something in between those extremes. Wonder Lake is beautiful, but can have a mosquito issue if you go too early (I believe people say its better after mid-August). Fish Creek, I take it, is the substitute for Eilson this year.

Is Eielson visitor center closed for 2005? I seem to remember them telling us something about renovation? I see references to Fish Creek which I have not seen before or remember from the map. It looks like it is close to Eielson?

Eilson is scheduled to reopen in summer '07. Fish Creek is 3 miles before Eilson. Per the park's site:

Eielson Visitor Center Construction

The summer of 2004 was the last season of operation for the Eielson Visitor Center, which opened in 1961. Replacement of the overcrowded and deteriorating facility is scheduled to commence in spring 2005 and continue through 2006, provided the $7.42 million project is funded with the 2005 federal budget.

The new visitor center is scheduled to open in 2007. although it will be larger, it has been designed to be less intrusive on the landscape and more effectively meet the needs of visitors. Improvements will include additional indoor and outdoor viewing areas, new exhibits, an interior eating space, informal seating for interpretive programs, and administrative support areas for staff. As part of a National Park Service sustainability initiative, the building design meets the Gold LEED accreditation, which includes the use of recycled materials and renewable resources, low water usage and the utilization of renewable energy sources. The new building was identified as a high priority need in the 1997 entrance Area and Road Corridor Development Concept Plan.

During the two-year construction period, a route near the construction zone will provide safe access to trails and backcountry units for hikers and an interim Shuttle Bus turnaround point at Fish Creek (Mile 63) will be utilized instead of the Eielson Visitor Center (Mile 66). The roundtrip travel time will remain the same (8 hours) Wonder Lake and camper buses will continue to their destinations further west.

Buses will stop at Toklat Rest Stop, where temporary structures will provide visitor services during the two-year construction period. New restrooms are being constructed as part of planned improvements to the rest stop in 2005, but there will be no running water. Bottled water will be available for sale.

We took the shuttle last summer at the suggestion of many on the board. I will admit that in some ways I was dreading 8 hours on a school bus type vehicle. But let me tell you, it was spectacular. The time really went by quickly because you are so busy looking around for animals. Our driver was great - I can't imagine a 'guide' being any better. We stopped at the Subway and got sandwiches. We bought chips, drinks, and other snacks at Wal-Mart in Anchorage, but we could have bought everything we needed at Subway. We first stopped at a convenience store/gas station right across from the hotels near Denali but a half of a sandwich (plain bread) was $7.50! Subway was much better.

Mscloyd

We did the same. Subway was great. Even put our cold,wet stuff on baggies so we could keep the bread from getting wet overnight. Last time we did this, we bought box lunch at one of the large hotels and by the next morning it was soggy and almost unedible. For $8.50!!!

Jrask

Thanks for info on eielson. I remember something from our trip but didn't see anything on denali site when I went there. Maybe I needed to go back to 04 press releases.

Okay, taking everyones advice and going to do the shuttle. Since we are ariving from Fairbanks, via Princess, I am being told it should be around noon. Does anyone know how often the shuttle goes to the visitors center? Also has anyone done this tour with Princess (14N) and arrived earlier at Denali?

Are you on Princess cruisetour 14N? Our advice was presuming that you are traveling independent...you mentioned in a recent post that you would be "at the Princess Lodge" but not that you'd be on a cruisetour. If so, the natural history tour is included in the price that you are already paying for the cruisetour and in that case, and you might want to see if you do better by upgrading to the Tundra Wilderness as opposed to going the shuttle route. [You'd have to call Princess to check price and to see whether you are in Denali long enough for this]

One other difficulty with the cruisetour is that you only have 1 afternoon and 1 morning in Denali. Wildlife viewing will be far better in the morning hours and I'm not sure that you can get your touring done before you have to leave as part of your cruisetour.

As to your exact question, I'm also unclear. You reference a shuttle "to" the visitor center. There is a shuttle from the Princess Lodge to the visitor center that you can use for hiking, etc. and to catch the shuttle that then leaves from the visitor center to tour the park. I'm not sure how often that Princess-Visitor Center shuttle runs. As to shuttles into the park, you can check the schedule and make reservations by going to the Denali web site and hitting the link that has a picture of a bus on the left side of the screen (or by calling the number they provide there).

The subway is in Glitter Gulch. :) As for the above- this will NOT work with any cruisetour- you will be on a very fixed schedule with little option for changes, a big negative will be no independent transportation. I have been getting reports that the Tundra Wilderness tour is seldom available for upgrading from the Natural History tour. With just that factor- I would cancel this cruisetour and book either independently or book one that includes the right tour. You are making a big mistake with the useless tour. If you are looking to skip the natural history tour and try and get on a shuttle- they need advance reservations and likley little or no walk up space in season. Seats open up 2 days before - IF you can get the exact specifics from princess?? Are you arriving from Fairbanks via train?? Then EASY- the train gets in at noon. Yes there are pm shuttles to Fish Creek at 2pm. BUT you need to be very organized and get back and forth from your hotel buy your lunch for the shuttle and get back to the visitor center. VERIFY the shuttle schedule.

Where is the "Subway" located??

How often do the shuttles run in each direction?? Is there any problem finding seats after getting off and on in different locations?? If no room on one bus, then how long till the next one??

Do you mean the park shuttles?? There is a schedule http://www.nps.gov/dena I recommend you bus out to your turn around point then get off the bus if you wish on the way back. You essentially stand on the side of the road and wait. Buses pass by at least every half hour and yes buses can be full, but usually you can get a seat within a bus or two. If looking to take a different bus back from Fish Creek - then there probably will be a ranger with a list (like there was at Eielson). They assign the buses to you. Most people just go in and out on the same bus- the majority.

The shuttle that runs from Princess does a loop including several hotels and the park entrance. I think it ran on the half hour during peak times, on the hour the rest. I think the loop took nearly an hour round trip. We had a VERY early morning shuttle into the park (early enough the shuttle to the park wasn't running yet) so we scheduled a time and they made a special trip for us. No problem.

OK, here are two questions for someone. How early do the Mosquitos come out in the Spring at Wonder Lake? and if we are staying at the Princess Lodge in Denali and we are going on the Tundra tour, your advice would be to do the Subway Sandwich in a bag thing, rather than other options and what are other options? Don't get me wrong, I like Subway. I'm looking for a little guidance here. Thanks.

OK, here are two questions for someone. How early do the Mosquitos come out in the Spring at Wonder Lake? and if we are staying at the Princess Lodge in Denali and we are going on the Tundra tour, your advice would be to do the Subway Sandwich in a bag thing, rather than other options and what are other options? Don't get me wrong, I like Subway. I'm looking for a little guidance here. Thanks.

The Tundra Tour doesn't go to Wonder Lake- only able to get there via the Park SHUTTLE buses. For clairfication Wonder Lake is mile 85 on the Park Road, the Tundra Wilderness tour bus goes to mile 53. There is Bubb's subs and most hotels can pack a bag lunch for you. The "option" that is included with your tour- is less desirable and almost always is so so at best. :) So it pays to take your own.

Tundra tour includes a basically inedible selection of items that amount to a snack. You'll certainly want to take something else into the park. Subway is just across the street (although I don't know what time it opens...perhaps early b/c of this issue). Princess hotel also has a place that can pack up sandwiches and drinks for you. But, there is no food once you're actually on the tour and you'll likely want something.

Archived