Tips for cruising with 12-month-old?

amcVA

My husband and I are thinking of a semi-last-minute cruise on Carnival with our son who will be 12 months at the time. It's a six-night cruise to the Bahamas. My husband and I have cruised twice before, so we know the general cruise drill. This will be our first cruise with the babe in tow, however.

Any words of wisdom or tips? We know Carnival has cribs, and our son will be transitioned over to whole milk by then, which should make life a bit easier.

Thanks for any insight!

As long as you know it's not going to be like your previous "couples" cruises....this will be a family affair! Still nice, but different!

I'd book a balcony, so you and hubby will have somewhere "to be" while the little one is napping or in for the night!

If you can,

- bring a lightweight stroller.

- Do dinner earlier than later.

- If your child is watching TV, bring a portable DVD player to keep them entertained during meal times.

- Bring extra of everything.

- Bring a small dish soap bottle and sponge to clean the bottles/cups

Otherwise have a blast

Disposable sippy cups. :) Use them and then pitch them at the end of the day. Bring enough diapers and wipes for the entire trip! Don't worry about bringing extra "oops" clothes since Carnival tends to have washing machines on the ship. :)

I second the lightweight stroller. Be kind, fold it up and store it under your bed at night. (Plus you don't have to worry about anything happening to it outside your door at night!)

Bring whatever meds your child might need. (Tylenol, ibuprofen, cough meds, etc) You never know when something might happen and you might need them.

Relax and have fun!! Don't flip out if your child starts crying at dinner. Ask the waiter for your meal to go and go out on deck and eat it! Life will go on! :)

We sailed with our 12 month-old a few months ago.

* blow up bathtub for the shower and to use on deck since he/she wont be allowed in the pool

* carnival offers "under 2 time" babysitting from 12p-2pm on sea days for $6/hr and nightly from 10p-2am. Its a nice break during the day to just enjoy some alone time for a few hours with hubby.

* bring a stroller that reclines or naps on the go.

* get a balcony if possible so when baby sleeps you can enjoy some time together and actually have a converstaion without waking the baby.

* bring disposable sippy cups, bibs, utensils and a colapsible softside small cooler(lunch type tote for keeping milk on ice handy) any favorite snacks (you can get boxed cereal off the buffet)

* take turns so you each get some free time to relax and enjoy.

Archived