RCL or NCL or Celebrity

rhinomike

Which cruise line - RCL, NCL or Celebrity?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise line - RCL, NCL or Celebrity?

• Rhapsody of the Sea
    • NCL - Pearl
    • Celebrity - Mercury

OK sorry to bother you guys again with another poll.... LOL.

But I took the advice on the first poll and did some research. We have narrowed it dwon to 3 choices and we are ready to make a decision..... Please vote and help me out with some pros and cons.

1. Star - Departs from Seattle. Has 4 port stops. Total for our 2 connecting room with a window = $5650.00

2. RCL Rhapsody of the sea. Departs from Seattle. Has 3 port stops. Older Ship. Price for 1 big room with 1 bathroom = $ 6295.00

3. Celebrity Mercury - Departs from Vancouver. Has 3 ports stops. Price for 2 connecting inside rooms = $4650.00 This is the cheapest route but the airfare will be $ 400.00 extra to fly to Vancouver.

Here is a little info from my original post....

I want to take my family on an Alskan Cruise. We have cruised many times but never to Alaska. We want to go sometime in June maybe July. It will be me and my wife an our 4 boys (ages 10 - 15).

Just fly into Seattle the day before and you can take Amtrak or a bus to Vancouver to board the ship. Amtrak is $43 and the bus is about the same. Are you looking for a one way cruise or a round trip?

Which ship(s) has the best port times? Do any of them go to Glacier Bay? When you are counting ports, don't count Victoria, IMHO, because you don't get much time there and it is included so the cruise lines have met the requirement of going to a foreign port.

With 4 kids, I'd want 2 bathrooms :) YMMV

Well, I voted for the NCL Star, but I don't think I would really put any of those 3 amongst my top choices for Alaska. Are those your best three options given the need for connecting rooms? I would opt for two connecting rooms over one large room, if for no other reason than having a 2nd bathroom.

Rhapsody has arguably the worst Alaska itinerary out there. Really only goes to two Alaska ports (Juneau, Skayway) and then spends all day in Victoria which is a great city, but most go on an Alaska cruise to see Alaska. Goes to Tracy Arm which is beautiful, but isn't great for Glacier viewing. Plus as you mentioned it is not one of their newer ships.

Mercury has a better itinerary (Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Hubbard). Been on the Mercury and although we loved X we were not really impressed with this particular ship (older, smaller, screwy layout). Did you look for connecting cabins on the Infinity out of Seattle. Nicer ship, good itinerary, plus if you believe the map on their website it will sail the inside of Vancouver Island on the way South to Victoria.

NCL Star is a newer ship with a decent itinerary (although I think the Pearl's is better). Short day in Juneau, but decent amount of time in Skagway and Ketchikan. Does Tracy Arm which again isn't great for Glaciers unless you take their optional Tracy Arm excursion. Never been to Prince Rupert, but only a short time their in the evening anyway. Star also sails the inside of Vancouver Island heading North (again, if you believe their itinerary map).

Well, I voted for the NCL Star, but I don't think I would really put any of those 3 amongst my top choices for Alaska. Are those your best three options given the need for connecting rooms? I would opt for two connecting rooms over one large room, if for no other reason than having a 2nd bathroom.

Rhapsody has arguably the worst Alaska itinerary out there. Really only goes to two Alaska ports (Juneau, Skayway) and then spends all day in Victoria which is a great city, but most go on an Alaska cruise to see Alaska. Goes to Tracy Arm which is beautiful, but isn't great for Glacier viewing. Plus as you mentioned it is not one of their newer ships.

Mercury has a better itinerary (Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Hubbard). Been on the Mercury and although we loved X we were not really impressed with this particular ship (older, smaller, screwy layout). Did you look for connecting cabins on the Infinity out of Seattle. Nicer ship, good itinerary, plus if you believe the map on their website it will sail the inside of Vancouver Island on the way South to Victoria.

NCL Star is a newer ship with a decent itinerary (although I think the Pearl's is better). Short day in Juneau, but decent amount of time in Skagway and Ketchikan. Does Tracy Arm which again isn't great for Glaciers unless you take their optional Tracy Arm excursion. Never been to Prince Rupert, but only a short time their in the evening anyway. Star also sails the inside of Vancouver Island heading North (again, if you believe their itinerary map).

Wow great info..... Thank you so much for taking the time to post. Lots to think about.... I will take a look at the Infinity but my wife may have already checked. She said these are our only options (connecting rooms) for June early July....

Wow great info..... Thank you so much for taking the time to post. Lots to think about.... I will take a look at the Infinity but my wife may have already checked. She said these are our only options (connecting rooms) for June early July....

Sure no problem. Don't mean to discourage you though if those really are you best or only options for getting connecting rooms, but just think there are better ships and/or itineraries for round trip Alaska cruises. The NCL Star wouldn't be a bad option at all. Freestyle cruising would probably work out well for you with 4 kids! I haven't been on NCL since we have had kids, but they supposedly have a really good kids/teens program to keep the boys busy. I don't believe the Star has covered pool (other than the Spa) so swimming and using the water slides might not be an option, but you never know what the weather will be like in Alaska.

Sure no problem. Don't mean to discourage you though if those really are you best or only options for getting connecting rooms, but just think there are better ships and/or itineraries for round trip Alaska cruises. The NCL Star wouldn't be a bad option at all. Freestyle cruising would probably work out well for you with 4 kids! I haven't been on NCL since we have had kids, but they supposedly have a really good kids/teens program to keep the boys busy. I don't believe the Star has covered pool (other than the Spa) so swimming and using the water slides might not be an option, but you never know what the weather will be like in Alaska.

You didnt discourage me at all.... I want to look at all moy options...

It looks like we are going with the Star..... thanks for the help.

You didnt discourage me at all.... I want to look at all moy options...

It looks like we are going with the Star..... thanks for the help.

As only an additional comment on NCL Star. I find it absolutely "necessary" to purchase the NCL add on Tracy Arm boat tour. WAY way superior to anything seen from the cruiseship. I don't recommend this itinerary without it. :)

I put together a photo sample that shows some differences. Of particular note, the cruiseship photo shows the closest the ship got to the glacier. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Wow great pictures..... thank you for sharing.

So the Star stops in Tracy Arm and you can board a smaller ship for a better tour.... Is that correct? Does the ship just sit idel while the others are on the tour? I looked on the excursion for the Star but I cant find it.... can you book it ahead of time? Is space limited? Thank You.

Wow great pictures..... thank you for sharing.

So the Star stops in Tracy Arm and you can board a smaller ship for a better tour.... Is that correct? Does the ship just sit idel while the others are on the tour? I looked on the excursion for the Star but I cant find it.... can you book it ahead of time? Is space limited? Thank You.

This tour leaves from Juneau, about 1/2 an hour prior to the ship departure. Call NCL directly and inquire about this tour. In the past, have been reports of it not showing up on the shore excursion list, but being available. IF available, you should be able to book ahead. There are some cruises it does not run. Last sailings of the season, it doesn't.

I normally would vote for the one with more ports, but I would take Celebrity of the ones you have listed. Vancouver is a great city. I would spend a couple of days there if possible. I would like the two rooms and it is a quite a bit cheaper. Although money shouldn't be the main reason to choose a cruise, it does play a big role in the cruises I choose.

We are also thinking of cruising Alaska, this summer, with children. I am also looking at Star & Rhapsody. However, I am also looking at Princess, Holland America & Carnival. We did decide on leaving from Seattle because it costs a little less. I am getting real confused.

Maybe I should stick to the ships you have chosen for your poll. Thanks

Since we have aready spent lots of time in Vancouver (and for a few other reasons) we have narrowed it down to 2 chocies....

NCL

Pearl or Star...

We are currently booked on Star but may change over the the Pearl since we can then do Glacier Bay. The Pearl is a $2k price increase for our 2 cabins.... Is it really worth it?

We are currently booked on Star but may change over the the Pearl since we can then do Glacier Bay. The Pearl is a $2k price increase for our 2 cabins.... Is it really worth it?

The Pearl is usually a bit more than the Star for an equivalent cabin because of the preferable itinerary and because it is a newer ship. However, $1000 difference per cabin between the two seems like a lot. Is the 3rd person rate the same between the two or are they charging more on the Pearl for the 3rd? If you are flexible you might want to check a couple different sailing dates on the Pearl to see if the rate differs at all.

I really do think the Pearl has a superior itinerary. Glacier Bay, generally better port times and Victoria are all pluses in my book. Also, it's a Sunday departure which makes it easier in some cases to fly in a day before.

If it was me I would go with the Pearl, but there are only 3 of us and we only need one cabin. In your case with 6 people, 2 cabins and a $2000 difference it makes it a more difficult decision. I would say that if the $2000 pushes you to the top of your budget it might be better to go with the Star and use the $2000 on excursions in Alaska - tours for 6 people are not going to be cheap. Otherwise if the $2000 isn't a budget buster then I would definitely go with the Pearl.

Archived