Louis Majesty Hit By Wave

Carol Anne

Just read on Fox.com that Louis Majesty was hit by a 26ft wave after leaving Barcelona enroute to France. Its reported that 2 passengers were killed and another 6 injured. The ship has turned around and is heading back to Barcelona.

This is soooo horrible ~~2 killed and now 14 injured.

A rogue wave can not be read or detected on radar ~~it simply comes "out of nowhere."

My prayers and thoughts are with all concerned, especially the families of those who lost their lives and those injured.

Martita B.

Kind of a strange situation ---- a 26 ft wave isn't really that big. Norwegian Dawn took a 70 footer not long back. According to reports, the wave took out windows on Deck 5 fatally injuring two pax in the area. I have been aboard taking 20 footers and it wasn't bad at all.. The only thing I can figure is that the ship took a complete broadside or close thereto and the resulting roll would be significant. My T&P go to the families and their losses and to the surviving pax.

If you go to Rogue Wave - Wikipedia you will find some very interesting reading on the cause, history etc of these large waves. Rather scary although I'm sure nothing will stop us cruise die-hards who frequent these boards from sailing the 7 seas.

We've sailed with Louis Cruises :eek: and that was the worst cruise line we ever endured. It was on the infamous Sea Diamond operated by Louis Cruises a few years ago. The Sea Diamond now rests on the bottom off Santorini, also with a lose of two lives.

This incident sadly doesn't surprise me.

The Majesty is an old retired NCL boat.

I Feel terrible for those hurt or dead from this but my advice: don't cruise Louis. :mad:

I have been on the majesty when it was operated by NCL. We were in some rough seas 20ft. + seas), the vessel handled it well. The Vessel was built in 1992, not terribly old by ship standards. NCL sold it as they wanted all their ships to fit the "freestyle", which the Majesty did not have the ability to do ( Multiple eateries etc.)

The Majesty sailed the Boston Bermuda route for many years with many rough crossings.

I agree with another poster, most likely a broadside hit, which typically is worst case scenario at sea.

It is too early to strat blaming the cruise line or the vessel itself.

Just an update --- I went to You Tube to see if any videos had been posted and they are there. The wave(s) were certainly more than 26 ft. One video shows the incident happening. All I have to say is WOW!! Majesty's lounge is forward on Deck 5. She took the wave(s) over the bow and the water burst through the forward floor to ceiling lounge windows completely engulfing those sitting by them. Water almost knee deep there and throughout the forward deck 5 and most likely deck 4 as well. Crew appears to be very responsive dealing with the emergency. Deck 5 is 50 feet above the water line so the ship had to pitch down into the waves to take it as she did although the videos I've watched do not seem to show any excess ship movement. Again T&P with pax and crew.

So sorry to hear about the tragedy on Louis Majesty, a ship we have been aboard twice during NCL cruises to Bermuda.

Rouge waves can take a toll on any sized ship. Even Oasis of the Seas is just a tiny speck on a huge ocean.

My condolences to the families of the victims.

Freak waves occur occasionally to all cruise lines. Oriana, Rotterdam...and so on. Although usually associated to storms there are planes in which they are more likely to happen as the in close to Cape of Good Hope, North Atlantic, and in the Gulf of Leon in the Mediterranean.

So anything to do with the fact she is a Louis ship.

We've sailed with Louis Cruises :eek: and that was the worst cruise line we ever endured. It was on the infamous Sea Diamond operated by Louis Cruises a few years ago. The Sea Diamond now rests on the bottom off Santorini, also with a lose of two lives.

This incident sadly doesn't surprise me.

The Majesty is an old retired NCL boat.

I Feel terrible for those hurt or dead from this but my advice: don't cruise Louis. :mad:

To be honest I think you are a little disingenious here. I sailed on the Louis Cristal last year and it was one of the best cruises I did. (Now that I think about it, I never have had a bad one!!!). Sure Louis are no Holland America but they have excellent itineraries, large cabins, reasonable food and OKish entertainment - OK I said they were not HAL! but they do not charge the HAL prices also. They also get to ports that the larger ships cannot reach. they have their blemishes certainly but to advise not to cruise Louis is a little harsh!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
To be honest I think you are a little disingenious here. I sailed on the Louis Cristal last year and it was one of the best cruises I did. (Now that I think about it, I never have had a bad one!!!). Sure Louis are no Holland America but they have excellent itineraries, large cabins, reasonable food and OKish entertainment - OK I said they were not HAL! but they do not charge the HAL prices also. They also get to ports that the larger ships cannot reach. they have their blemishes certainly but to advise not to cruise Louis is a little harsh!!!!!!!

No way buddy. It was a terrible cruise ship experience, and IMHO Louis is at best a 2 star line, based on our one and only experience. :cool:

After nearly 30 cruises including ones with Louis-a-like-sized Dolphin and My Travel the total chaos that was the Sea Diamond was spectacular.

Too bad Cruise Critic does not allow members reviews on Louis Cruises or more people would be warned of how 2 star they are. In my never "published" CC review I wrote about our Sea Diamond 4 day med trip and about the total break down they had onboard. No towels, no hot water, under cooked chicken, our cabin was over a metal work project 16 hours a day, HUGE LINES ALWAYS..... the list was long. :mad:

The last line in "my Review" I said that I sure hoped that the bridge crew was better organised and professional than the idiots managing the hard working foot soldiers that were the cabin stews and dining room staff. Less than a year later they proved to be as incompetent as the rest and ran the ship into a reef in the shadow of Thira Santorini, and sank with the lose of two passengers lives.

My advice, Say No to Louis.

And that is genuine advice.

Archived