Why are Aussies being overcharged for cruises?

Plato2322

Moniquet, I just went to the Vacations to Go and they definitely have this new policy displayed under international booking rules.

I have never seen this before and feel really angry, sad and confused. I have put in a booking with RCL for a cruise and want to see what their response to me is. I will let you know.

If these cruise companies enforce this policy and it is widespread and if we ascertain that it is not their currency conversions that are incorrect and they make us book in Aussie dollars, then I for one will never cruise with these companies again.

It is interesting that two of the cruise companies i.e. Carnival and Norwegian - both of whom I booked cruises with for this year, were the cheapest and allowed me to book using US dollars on their sites and both these companies have allowed Vacations to Go to continue to sell their product.

I wondered why I saw an increase in RCL and Holland America prices and my partner asked me why we were not booking with them again for this year. I just told him I went with itinerary first (New England/Canada) first and then price and Carnival and HAl won price by streets.

So much for singing the praises of both these companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Below is a reply I received from Royal Caribben (Aust) in relation to a question I asked about Aussies being charged considerably more than Americans. Lucky for us we booked our Oasis cruise before they stopped us using USA agents.

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Australia prices and sells all of our cruises in

Australian dollars. These cruise costs are determined some two or more

years prior to sailing using a set exchange rate. Thus the price remains

constant for the full time up until sailing, apart from any special

advertised offers. By doing this, guests are not affected by any currency

fluctuations, either up or down from time of paying the deposit to the time

of final payment.

We hope this answers your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you

onboard"

Thanks for sharing this. I also have written to RCL and are awaiting their reply.

I would have this to say about their information to you: This situation is totally unfair in the current financial climate. I sailed with RCL when we were nearly 50 cents in the dollar to one US$ and they did not show this consideration then with drink prices, gratuities etc They charged us full US prices. If this is the situation I know that I will never again sail on RCL unless I can buy at the $US price (not just gratuities and drinks). This is a really disgusting business practice. It should be the same for everybody - I hate unfairness; perhaps that is why I studied to be a social worker/counsellor. THIS REALLY STINKS RCL. I HOPE YOU LOSE ALL YOUR AUSSIES CUSTOMERS.

Hi, I was aware of the change in policy of non-US residents booking HAL , Princes etc cruises in the US from January this year, that's why I asked how recently you had booked direct with HAL. As I mentioned, I booked direct with HAL several years ago but now they seem to be directing you to their Australian agent so I wasn't sure if HAL would allow you to book direct any more.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. I looked at HAL website yesterday (through the cruise company directly, and can still book directly with them. Is this what you wanted to know?

Thanks for sharing this. I also have written to RCL and are awaiting their reply.

I would have this to say about their information to you: This situation is totally unfair in the current financial climate. I sailed with RCL when we were nearly 50 cents in the dollar to one US$ and they did not show this consideration then with drink prices, gratuities etc They charged us full US prices. If this is the situation I know that I will never again sail on RCL unless I can buy at the $US price (not just gratuities and drinks). This is a really disgusting business practice. It should be the same for everybody - I hate unfairness; perhaps that is why I studied to be a social worker/counsellor. THIS REALLY STINKS RCL. I HOPE YOU LOSE ALL YOUR AUSSIES CUSTOMERS.

Hi, if it's the USA site you're awaiting a reply don't hold your breath. I sent emails to them in September last year and again in January this year, other than receiving an automated reply have not heard one single word from them.

So in January I sent a c.c to the Aust site, they were the one's to eventually reply, took them around 4 weeks to answer.

We also have cruised with RCL when our dollar was low, when we were on Legend of the Seas was around 50 cents and again on Rhapsody in 2008 was around 62 cents (lucky for us I saw it going down and bought USD when it was at 90 cents).

We have a son living in Canada (is a resident and citizen there), so might see if we can use his address when we book another cruise with USA agent.

Sorry to hear about your lost money, but I just don't see that it is the fault of the cruise company, rather some corrupt dodgey TA from Australia. .

Where I blame the cruiseline is that

1/ given that they knew of the fight to get my refund thy insisted that the 25% voucher was sent to the TA which I am sure that the TA would have insirted I book through them again.

2/ When I tried to book at that TA and after I was told that the voucher was never recieved the Cruiseline REFUSED to reissue the voucher. There excuse was that if the reissued it and then the original turned up they could be out of pocket for the second discount.

At the end of the day between the TA and the Cruiseline I missed out on 25% which as it was a mini suite for 2 adults and 2 children on a 14day cruise is worth a cple of thousand dollars.

1/ given that they knew of the fight to get my refund thy insisted that the 25% voucher was sent to the TA which I am sure that the TA would have insirted I book through them again.

2/ When I tried to book at that TA and after I was told that the voucher was never recieved the Cruiseline REFUSED to reissue the voucher. There excuse was that if the reissued it and then the original turned up they could be out of pocket for the second discount.

At the end of the day between the TA and the Cruiseline I missed out on 25% which as it was a mini suite for 2 adults and 2 children on a 14day cruise is worth a cple of thousand dollars.

Yes, to have to lose that is so unfair. I just get the impression that the Cruiselines just don't like TA themselves but have to use them particularly in Australia. I did hear once (I think) that it was a condition of them selling here. Somebody in the States told me that TA are rarely used their particularly for airtravel - is this correct?

Aussies don't tip.

They insist in doing things "their way" - even when they are NOT in their country.

Charging higher fares to Aussies is a great way to recoup that extra expense for the cruise lines.

we certainly do!!...and when we are in the US we tip more than the Americans do, because we are usually unsure how much IS expected, so we overdo it..

and when on a cruise we are charged the same tipping structure on our bill as everyone else, and also tip our butler, steward waiter etc ..more.

Aussies don't HAVE TO tip in OZ, because we pay real wages, unlike the USA....but we still tip at restaurants, cabs, hairdresser etc..anywhere we receive a service, but we don't tip someone at a hotel purely because they answered question.

get your stories at least the same Bruce...

which is it, 90% or 94%..

and where do you get your figures?

I NEVER have stated that ALL Aussies don't tip.

I have frequently stated that MOST do not tip, that 90% of Aussies do not tip, and that Aussies in general do not tip.

When an average 94% of a group of people do the same thing over and over and over again, it becomes too easy to generalize and say that these people are a certain way. On the positive side, I find it very easy to say that Aussies are fun people. Are all of your countrymen fun people? Probably not. But so many of them are, so often, that it is very easy to generalize and assume that all (or nearly all) Aussies are that way.

Unfortunately the tipping issue works the same way.

Aussies don't tip.

They insist in doing things "their way" - even when they are NOT in their country.

The cruise lines have agreements with the tipped crew to cover shortages in tips when passengers don't tip.

Charging higher fares to Aussies is a great way to recoup that extra expense for the cruise lines.

That is one of the most inflammatory remarks I have come across on Cruise Critic. Australians do not tip, yes, nor do they haggle a beggar down to a rock bottom price for a piece of junk and feel proud of it, and then pull out a $5.00 note to big note themselves to tip a bus driver for doing what he is paid to do. I find some Americans attitude to tipping to be slightly embarassing at times. When you tell an American in Singapore that it is demeaning for most Singaporeans to accept a tip, in fact at the Port and Airport it is illegal for them to accept a tip, some Americans persist in "gladhanding" guides and drivers.

I find some Americans attitude to tipping to be slightly embarassing at times. When you tell an American in Singapore that it is demeaning for most Singaporeans to accept a tip, in fact at the Port and Airport it is illegal for them to accept a tip, some Americans persist in "gladhanding" guides and drivers.

same in Japan, when we went to give a porter money for bringing up our bags..he said.."no, please, do not tip, we get into big trouble!!"

and he was in the room with just us, no witnesses..

it seems that Japan,and Singapore (where it is an insult, because they feel as if you think they can't afford to live without tips)

are like Australia....and pay decent wages...

unlike the US that needs the tips to survive.

So which countries are the most civilised??

I really hated what the Bruce fella said and sure I reallllllllly believe that he works in a cruise industry - doing what???????????? Anybody with some skills would not make statements like that. But don't get too upset about these comments made by one USA person towards 90-95 percent of Aussies. If you do you will be just as bad as him and start thinking it is a whole nation that is like him - which thankfully it is not!!!! If it was I would never travel to the States again!

don't get too upset about these comments made by one USA person towards 90-95 percent of Aussies. If you do you will be just as bad as him and start thinking it is a whole nation that is like him - which thankfully it is not!!!! If it was I would never travel to the States again!

you are right...

we have been 9 times in 7 yrs, and love the place(and ALWAYS TIP, ..did ya hear that Bruce??)

If we were given that impression of Aussies, by the majority of Americans ,we would not want to go there either..

Murrumba, re your comment " I reallllllllly believe that he works in a cruise industry - doing what???????????? "

he says he has worked in the cruise industry for 30 yrs, but I also read that he has to do a few hrs work each day ,

when he is cruising, to pay for his cruises..so he can't be too high up the chain:rolleyes:

me thinks he makes it up as he goes, because he forgets what he writes..

you are right...

we have been 9 times in 7 yrs, and love the place(and ALWAYS TIP, ..did ya hear that Bruce??)

If we were given that impression of Aussies, by the majority of Americans ,we would not want to go there either..

Murrumba, re your comment " I reallllllllly believe that he works in a cruise industry - doing what???????????? "

he says he has worked in the cruise industry for 30 yrs, but I also read that he has to do a few hrs work each day ,

when he is cruising, to pay for his cruises..so he can't be too high up the chain:rolleyes:

me thinks he makes it up as he goes, because he forgets what he writes..

I am very interested in the cruises that youhave booked and would love to read your daily reports of each cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds like you two have a wonderful travel history and future - much like Phill and I want to achieve. Anything that you share would be gratefully read and absorbed.

Somebody in the States told me that TA are rarely used their particularly for airtravel - is this correct?

Yes, that's true. Sometime back (5 years?? or more) airlines quit paying commissions to travel agents - so travel agents quit booking flights. Some travel agents still do it - but will charge a fee - like $15 per ticket.

Hi all...again :)...and thankyou Murrumba for your hard work and all the enquiries you have made on behalf of all of us :D

So...about our TA, I would really like to name the company but for the following reasons you will see why I can't....or, er shouldn't just yet.

I have mentioned this before on another thread....we booked and paid for, in full, our cruise (next month) more than 6 months ago. We have 4 weeks left before we are (supposed) to sail.

I really do not know why we allowed my OH's daughter to talk us into using this particular....very large TA, when we have always booked everything online, but sadly we did :(

We asked him for a breakdown of everything but he has refused to do this....flights, cruise and accommodation. We have no idea what the breakdown is. With only 4 weeks to go we have nothing!!!....no documents at all....'plane tickets, setsail pass, accommodation receipts etc. We couldn't access the cruiseline to check in...why????...he has our names wrong, first names as last names in both cases. He said he would rectify this nearly 2 weeks ago, he hasn't done it and there has been nothing but silence from him. We 'phoned the cruiseline's Australian agent who confirmed it hadn't been done and that they couldn't do anything about it as the TA 'owned' our booking.

How long before the cruise are we supposed to get all our documents? He has had our money for more than 6 months and this irks me :mad:

On another note.....we both absolutely love America and it's people and in fact my cousin lives in New Orleans and we love visiting her. So if 'Bruceyboy' had an ulterior motive, it didn't work ;) :D

No more TA's for us!

I am very interested in the cruises that you have booked and would love to read your daily reports of each cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds like you two have a wonderful travel history and future - much like Phill and I want to achieve. Anything that you share would be gratefully read and absorbed.

We only have 10 days till we leave on our next adventure.

Could be a few dramas though, (not we can do anything about it, so we "go with the flow")..a lot of our fellow CC'S are booked on British Airways , and they are striking right at the time they are all flying to Barcelona..poor things, what a stress:eek:

then Athens is also having riots, so we will probably have to miss that port, lucky for us we have been there twice before, but most of our roll callers haven't, and they all have private tours planned (we didn't, we use ship tours for that reason...you just never know..) and Funchal, Madeira have had terrible mudslides, so we are still not sure if that will be a goer too.

We love cruising, but not on Aussie departure ships(unless it's to NZ on an American ship), would not travel on Aus P&O if they gave it to us.

We also do a lot of self drive road trips overseas..love those, you never know what's around the bend.!

..we booked and paid for, in full, our cruise (next month) more than 6 months ago. We have 4 weeks left before we are (supposed) to sail.

With only 4 weeks to go we have nothing!!!....no documents at all....'plane tickets, setsail pass, accommodation receipts etc. How long before the cruise are we supposed to get all our documents? He has had our money for more than 6 months and this irks me :mad:

No more TA's for us!

you should have your doc's at least 2 weeks before your sail date, but if you are like us, we sometimes go overseas long before the cruise date, to do a road trip prior to the cruise., but your agent should know your movements.

If it's not an online agent, why can't you visit them??..if not

KEEP RINGING!!

I gave up on agents doing my stuff about 10 yrs ago, you can't see what they do, and can't check.

EVERY time we have used one in the past it was stuffed up.

Hi all...again :)...and thankyou Murrumba for your hard work and all the enquiries you have made on behalf of all of us :D

So...about our TA, I would really like to name the company but for the following reasons you will see why I can't....or, er shouldn't just yet.

I have mentioned this before on another thread....we booked and paid for, in full, our cruise (next month) more than 6 months ago. We have 4 weeks left before we are (supposed) to sail.

I really do not know why we allowed my OH's daughter to talk us into using this particular....very large TA, when we have always booked everything online, but sadly we did :(

We asked him for a breakdown of everything but he has refused to do this....flights, cruise and accommodation. We have no idea what the breakdown is. With only 4 weeks to go we have nothing!!!....no documents at all....'plane tickets, setsail pass, accommodation receipts etc. We couldn't access the cruiseline to check in...why????...he has our names wrong, first names as last names in both cases. He said he would rectify this nearly 2 weeks ago, he hasn't done it and there has been nothing but silence from him. We 'phoned the cruiseline's Australian agent who confirmed it hadn't been done and that they couldn't do anything about it as the TA 'owned' our booking.

How long before the cruise are we supposed to get all our documents? He has had our money for more than 6 months and this irks me :mad:

On another note.....we both absolutely love America and it's people and in fact my cousin lives in New Orleans and we love visiting her. So if 'Bruceyboy' had an ulterior motive, it didn't work

No more TA's for us!

Hi - Sorry to hear about your problems with your TA. Don't worry too much about your flight and cruise documents, they tend to come a couple of weeks out. I would though try and go to somewhere about your name to get it sorted out as it has to be exactly the same as on your passports. Stand at the counter and refuse to move until something is done!!!!

You have a right to have a split up done of your monies spent too!

Re flights: If you know your reservation number for your flights you can look this up under the airlines. Sometimes you need to book your seats at the same time as booking or sometimes 24 hours before. We tend to use an airline now that we book our seats and tickets the same day.

In relation to your cruise - it is not worth calling the "so called Australian Agent" of your cruise company. Call the Head Office with your name and reservation Number if you have it and speak to them about the problems with the agent and see if they can help you. They probably won't thought, that is the "penalty" of booking with TA.

It will all work out for you - so don't fret about what probably won't happen. We all have to get "stung" until we realise that the person who looks after our own interests the best in everything we do IS OURSELVES and not rely on others who don't give a RATS A.... about us!!:D

Just make sure if you go ahead with booking with Australian TA that they will honour price drops. Quite often this is not the case.

I have 3 cruises booked and I booked early on all 3 because the price was so good. Since booking a couple of months ago, the cruises dropped and I got all the price drops and they have risen higher than what I originally paid. Norwegian and Carnival honoured price drops - and it was instantaneous not having to go through a TA who will state "that is only for new bookings".

we always book early to get a good cabin.

Ncl recently dropped our cabin(penthouse) for the 2nd leg of our soon b2b Med cruise by 2600 US DOLLARS on their website.

We had already paid full price,so I rang anyway... and they refunded the $2600 no questions asked ...

I LOVE NCL !!..I always deal direct with the cruiseline.

A TA would never do that.

we always book early to get a good cabin.

Ncl recently dropped our cabin(penthouse) for the 2nd leg of our soon b2b Med cruise by 2600 US DOLLARS on their website.

We had already paid full price,so I rang anyway... and they refunded the $2600 no questions asked ...

I LOVE NCL !!..I always deal direct with the cruiseline.

A TA would never do that.

Wow, that is a fantastic price drop. When I mean price drops it is usually in dribs and drabs, because my cabin was not expensive to start with - I'm jealous, if I stowed away in the penthouse with you, you (and they) probably wouldn't notice!!:D

The computer picks up on your IP-address. RCCLs' computer "saw" that you were an Aussie, so quoted you the Australian price. Don't be fooled by it. If you are able to make the computer believe you are an American, so will see totally different rates.

It may do but it is not the answer for$10 per month you can get a proxy ISP that will disguise your location. I travel the world and watch our famous BBC i Player using a proxy UK ISP that places me in the UK. I suggest that is tremendous value and is open to us all.

There is no other reason but greed and we are all guilty of taking what we can in so many ways.

Germany and Bavaria are good to visit but I will be watching England win the world cup on free TV on my laptop anywhere I am in.

Thank you so much JannandJohn and Murrumba for your advice.

The TA is in the city and it's quite a long way from where we live...and then there is no guarantee that we will see him :rolleyes:

He will not answer emails nor telephone calls....he plays his voicemail at the end of each day, according to my Oh's Daughter....but he never gets back to us.

I will let you know when we hear from him.

Like I said, he was supposed to be changing our names 2 weeks ago...and it till hasn't been done. :(

There are things I would like to check on RCI's website but we can't access it as they require our names....in the correct order.

Thankyou once again :)

The TA is in the city and it's quite a long way from where we live...and then there is no guarantee that we will see him :rolleyes:

He will not answer emails nor telephone calls....he plays his voicemail at the end of each day, according to my Oh's Daughter....but he never gets back to us.

:)

if you are going in 4 weeks, you may have to make the long trip.

and just demand to be heard..

Your tickets have to be the same as your passport, and if he doesn't change the names soon, it may be too late.

why is it according to your oh's daughter??

why don't you ring?

Archived