Orlando (Port Canaveral) 12:00 PM 10:00 PM - What to do??

NJ04SS

how? why?

cruise ship port call I guess?

airboat ride

visit Kennedy Space Center / Cape Canaveral Air Force Base

Brevard Zoo

Ron Jons

take a surfing lesson

the beach

stay on the ship and read a book then take a nap

(I did not offer take a trip to an Orlando Theme Park cuz from what I've seen this is not a cost effective {or rental car safe} trip.)

Will be at the Port due to a cruise. Those are the hours our boat will be docked. Just looking for something to do in/around the ship port - something not too far. Appreciate the info!

Jetty Park is on the south side of the port entrance and a great park, altho as a State Park they do have a small admission fee

Infomal plates to eat, well there are several on the south side of the port...this is a repost:

There are several rest' on the south side of the port along the way from the cruise ship piers to the port entr.

At the eastern most end of the port, at the jettys, is Jetty park. There is an admission charge to the county park but if you want to see the ship leave the port, that's where it 'technically' happens, at the end of the jetty. The north side is Cape Canaveral AFB and a closed area.

In the port the western most rest' is a new one, Millikan's Reef I believe is the name. It is large, with lots of outside bar and deck and several dining room. Early reviews have been good. Here you'll actually have a chance of seeing a ship leave the pier and head down the channel....they'll pass here first.

The eastern most rest' is Grills altho it is no where near Jetty Park. There is a large deck area and many like it. I eat there a lot, there's entertainment on the weekends etc etc. BUT, between Millikan and Grills are Rusty's and Fishlips and BOTH offer the same type entertainment on the weekends .. I believe Fishlips has outside pool tables on the deck.... all have menus.

Which is better? Usually if the wait at one is too long we head to the next! IMHO...very similar.....but locals do have their fav' (and so far as I know Grills is the only one to offer breakfast) I'll admit we've eaten at Grills more than the others....cuz spousal unit likes the bacon wrapped scallop appetizer and has that and conch fritters as lunch after church on Sunday.

Now all these rest are not what I'd all walking from the Raddisson.... Actually I WOULD walk it but I walk far routinely...this is less than 2 miles, but you'd need to cross busy roads. If you have a car or need taxi the trip is short and the hotel shuttle has been reported to take folks to any of the Port places. Kelsey's is a pizza place right in the hotel parking lot. It is good (not GREAT...nothing special) but no water view.....

Hello,

I think the info I posted in this link will give you some ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22679623

Let me know if you have specific questions. I've been to many port days on cruises that had far less to do for a lot more money ;-) Port Canaveral and the Cocoa Beach / Cape Canaveral area is a perfectly fine way to spend a day.

Regards,

Johncn

THANKS!!! Wow that really helps. Thank you for that link. Where does NCL dock though? Do you know? Is JETTY park in walking distance from the ship dock - and is there a nice swimming area?

What is there to see in the Canaveral locks?!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

There doesn't seem to be any replies with stuff to do up and down the coast that doesn't include Kennedy Space Centre, Cocoa Beach or Jetty Park.

We were thinking of renting a car for the day (very good prices for a 6 to 8 hour rental even with a car seat) and driving up and down the coast. We'd love a heads up of places to stop in either direction. We'd likely stick to the highways/road that seems to go up and down the coast directly along the ocean side.

We tried it last month. We did Fish Lips. It was very good .. They had gluten free. It was good. If you are looking for breakfast, Zacchary's is next to Radison at the port. Really good. We walked over.

We're taking our second Carnival Pride Cruise end of October 2010.

We were there in Nov 07 but didn't go anywhere , stayed on ship.

Only thing we'd be interested in is Spending the day at cocoa beach. If we take the shuttle on our own which beach has facilities we can use and rents chairs etc? How far from cruise port?

I know they have a few resorts to spend the day at also, any one do this , how was it and how much $ What was included?

Don't want to spend a fortune to lay on the beach.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carrie

We're taking our second Carnival Pride Cruise end of October 2010.

We were there in Nov 07 but didn't go anywhere , stayed on ship.

Only thing we'd be interested in is Spending the day at cocoa beach. If we take the shuttle on our own which beach has facilities we can use and rents chairs etc? How far from cruise port?

I know they have a few resorts to spend the day at also, any one do this , how was it and how much $ What was included?

Don't want to spend a fortune to lay on the beach.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carrie

My wife and I are cruising on the Pride on October 24th. Is that the cruise your on?

Some one posted a review, that said you can rent chairs and umbrellas at Cocoa beach. They printed prices, I believe it was 2 chairs and an umbrella for $25 a day. Not completely sure though. I will add a link if I can find it.

Archived