Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

I love the dancing & singing by the wait staff! And I can honestly say that they look like they're having a good time...smiling & clapping...jumping up on the serving pedestals to dance!

Yeah, I look productive while I'm actually spending my time posting here. Appearences can be deceptive.

Another thought that occurred to me, and I'm certainly not trying to be a smart alec:

For those who think the performance is demeaning, do you also think it's demeaning for the wait staff to stop everything, get together, and clap and sing "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" to a fellow diner (or yourself)?

The only time I ever enjoyed it was on the Splendor.....Ken Burns would always ease into it by singing a song himself first giving the staff enough time to make sure thier tables were taken care of before getting ready for the dancing. :D

Another thought that occurred to me, and I'm certainly not trying to be a smart alec:

For those who think the performance is demeaning, do you also think it's demeaning for the wait staff to stop everything, get together, and clap and sing "happy birthday" or "happy anniversary" to a fellow diner (or yourself)?

No, because every place I've seen it done, the wait staff is visibly unhappy about doing it. :D

I would never ask the wait staff to sing for me or a family member. My family would never ask either. For one we're not big on being the center of attention, and for another, my sister-in-law managed a restaurant and did nothing but complain about people's demands of this nature. And lastly, I'd feel bad asking for a song during a busy service.

Yes, I don't like that either. I don't like everyone looking at me and all the attention that it brings. Also the fact that I used to wait tables, and I hated it! I can't sing, and feeling obligated to do it was embarrassing to me, so I woudl stand in the back and pretend to sing.

I have never been to macaroni grill, but I was at a mexican restaurant the other day, have a nice converstion with my mother when a mexican man, who barely spoke english came to the table and sang a willie nelson song. I felt obligated to stop eating and stare at him. Still do not like it, whichever way you slice it.

Oh let's just have them switch it up..ever had someone sing a little Italian Opera to you at Macaroni Grill?

With the option of Your Time dining, most should be able to avoid what they preceive as demeaning or distrupting while they are dining.

If, and as one has already said this is subjective, the staff did not wish to do it, then they can work either for a different line or in a different area. Just as we can find a different job if there is something about our job we do not like.

To speculate that the only ones that enjoy the dancing and singing are childish, lost in time cougars and older men, is both ludicrious and just rude. I for one, as I am sure many others have, seen a younger women wearing a dress that was either "too old" or "too young" for her, and that left nothing to the imagination as far as curves or assets. Same can be said with the gentleman that I have seen on a few cruises. The "over the top" suit that was made for a man 2 sizes smaller or even larger then they as well as the footwear that one would expect to see on the basketball court or in the construction zone paired with a tuxedo.

If you do not like the dancing or feel that it interrupts with your "dining experience" then find an alternative dining venue. If not all, them most cruisers know that there will be dancing and singing in the dining room at some point during their meal. Make an informed decision as to what you wish to do, and let those that wish to continue to enjoy what Carnival has designed into the dining experience they offer, do so.

I have a feeling some of the waiters "dread" carrying trays filled with 12 entrees, busing tables of plates with half-eaten food, and smiling at people at the late dinner seating when they've already been working for 10 hours that day. If they really hate the singing/dancing - there are other lines which don't have it.

Same goes for the passangers.

I feel it is demeaning asking grown adults to perform for their money. It reminds me of rewarding an animal for a trick. These are people, PEOPLE. I think there is enough entertainment in the lounges with shows, comedy, games, etc.

Hey, sometimes those strippers really ARE putting themselves through college... :eek:

Yes but that would also be assuming the voice of one speaks for all...we all have our grouchy moments, who knows where that staffer was "at" in their life. I think if you saw a petition by the wait staff to cease the show that would have more weight than someone having a bad day... :confused:

Well, I would say if a significant portion of the wait staff voted to not have to do it, then get rid of it.... if it's closer to a 49/51 ratio, then Carnival should keep it as long as it isn't costing them business, which I highly doubt it is. As I said, I enjoy watching them perform...but if they feel like circus animals and are truly uncomfortable, then I wouldn't want them to continue. It's not like I book with Carnival BECAUSE of the dancing in the MDR lol

But of course.... there is always the art of compromise. Maybe the wait staff and Carnival should have some sort of discussion and come up with something that would be good for both... like having the dancing only one night and do it before dinner starts or something so they don't have to stop in the middle of serving. I just know that I, personally, would hate to have to choose between having a job or refusing to dance if I was really uncomfortable with it.

I vote YES. On my last 2 cruises this happen before my table was served dessert. So when the dancing started we watched while most of the room was enjoying the waiters dance and their dessert. Once ended were were finally served our dessert while most of the dining room left.

Well, I would say if a significant portion of the wait staff voted to not have to do it, then get rid of it....

I am sure the wait staff will not be getting surveyed to investigate the continuation or not of these shows.

I am also pretty sure this is part of their job description when they choose to look for employment. They don't like it? Look elsewhere.

I have never been to macaroni grill, but I was at a mexican restaurant the other day, have a nice converstion with my mother when a mexican man, who barely spoke english came to the table and sang a willie nelson song. I felt obligated to stop eating and stare at him. Still do not like it, whichever way you slice it.

That is hilareous...good one...:D.

In this case...Only Willie can sing Willie...this is too good.

My Grill experience has been it is a waiter's option to sing alone...birthdays as a group only kind of thing...except one night...there was a gal who sang an amazing aria (sp) from corner of dining room just after a birthday song....sjn.

Well, I would say if a significant portion of the wait staff voted to not have to do it, then get rid of it.... if it's closer to a 49/51 ratio, then Carnival should keep it as long as it isn't costing them business, which I highly doubt it is. As I said, I enjoy watching them perform...but if they feel like circus animals and are truly uncomfortable, then I wouldn't want them to continue. It's not like I book with Carnival BECAUSE of the dancing in the MDR lol

But of course.... there is always the art of compromise. Maybe the wait staff and Carnival should have some sort of discussion and come up with something that would be good for both... like having the dancing only one night and do it before dinner starts or something so they don't have to stop in the middle of serving. I just know that I, personally, would hate to have to choose between having a job or refusing to dance if I was really uncomfortable with it.

A ship is not a democracy, no voting allowed, it is in their job description to do the little song and dance show, so they do it. Period. Or as someone else suggested move on to other jobs. I have a feeling the money that they are making makes it worth while for them to continue to perform like trained animals for the enjoyment of the paying passangers.

I consider myself to be kinda conservative. So...on vacation I like to laugh a little bit more. I like to "let my hair down". The people I work with would be shocked to hear me say this. But thats why I go on vacation..then I return home to conseratve, reserve, and straight laced. :) So I like it. It's fun, its different, its CARNIVAL!

If you do not like the dancing or feel that it interrupts with your "dining experience" then find an alternative dining venue. If not all, them most cruisers know that there will be dancing and singing in the dining room at some point during their meal. Make an informed decision as to what you wish to do, and let those that wish to continue to enjoy what Carnival has designed into the dining experience they offer, do so.

So, basically you're saying that it's not my dining experience, it's your dining experience and if I don't agree with you I can go shove it? Wow, how very kind of you.

That foolishness alone does more to dissuade the myth that dining on Carnival or any other line is "formal". Face it the dining room is like the side show of a cheap circus, and that alone justifies doing away with any dress codes other than resort casual!!

That foolishness alone does more to dissuade the myth that dining on Carnival or any other line is "formal". Face it the dining room is like the side show of a cheap circus, and that alone justifies doing away with any dress codes other than resort casual!!

Pretty much, yeah. :D

My life is full of random moments :) It's an interesting ride! I should journal it :eek:

That is hilareous...good one...:D.

In this case...Only Willie can sing Willie...this is too good.

My Grill experience has been it is a waiter's option to sing alone...birthdays as a group only kind of thing...except one night...there was a gal who sang an amazing aria (sp) from corner of dining room just after a birthday song....sjn.

With the option of Your Time dining, most should be able to avoid what they preceive as demeaning or distrupting while they are dining.

If, and as one has already said this is subjective, the staff did not wish to do it, then they can work either for a different line or in a different area. Just as we can find a different job if there is something about our job we do not like.

To speculate that the only ones that enjoy the dancing and singing are childish, lost in time cougars and older men, is both ludicrious and just rude. I for one, as I am sure many others have, seen a younger women wearing a dress that was either "too old" or "too young" for her, and that left nothing to the imagination as far as curves or assets. Same can be said with the gentleman that I have seen on a few cruises. The "over the top" suit that was made for a man 2 sizes smaller or even larger then they as well as the footwear that one would expect to see on the basketball court or in the construction zone paired with a tuxedo.

Very well said! I am sick and tired of the way people gripe and complain about some of the aspects of cruising...so much so that sometimes what made cruising enjoyable is becoming something that is harder and harder to find.

How ballsy to go and book a cruise with a specific cruiseline, and then demand that the rules and regulations and practices that said cruisline follows be abandoned for them. If you don't like something that is routine with a cruiseline - in this case the singing waiters - then book yourself a cruise on a line that doesn't follow this tradition!! It is no wonder that service in the cruise industry has declined when having to deal with so many whiney-hineys week after week.

If you don't want to dress up for dinner, or even wear decent clothes - then go to somewhere like NCL who doesn't really have guidelines for their MDR. I'm not talking about jeans in the MDR - I've seen several who wore them, and they looked very nice. I'm talking about the tank tees for guys, or sloppy shorts, or pajama pants worn by adults in the evening. I could go on, but I think all of you know what I am saying.

So, not to take this thread on another tack - and going back to the topic at hand...if you don't like the entertainment in the MDR - either book with another line or eat upstairs at the buffet.

Archived