Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

When I read the headliner for this thread, I thought this OP is going to wish they never posted THIS. But I am really surprised that the vote is almost tie. Seriously?

On my last cruise I took my 70 year old aunt only to say thank you because she introduced cruising to me when I was 12 and I have been cruising ever since. Our 4th night at dinner, they flashed the lights and started dancing, clapping, swirling dinner napkins and my 70 year old aunt got up and started to dance with the waiters and I tried to laugh, but ended up crying. I cried because I was so happy, I was so thankful my girls were there and we were all watching our favorite aunt have the time of her life. I am sure she never heard of Lee Ann Womack - I Hope You Dance but she did not sit this one out, she DANCED. She danced for my grandmother, my grandfather, her brother.... and I am glad of it! It is what I remember the most when I think of her. I dont know how much longer the Good Lord is going to allow me to borrow her...but I will always remember....she danced!

Come on you guys...I signed up for the funship. Can you define fun? Next cruise you guys, I hope:

You never lose your sense of wonder

You get your fill to eat

But always keep that hunger

May you never take one single breath for granted

God forbid love ever leave you empty handed

I hope you still feel small

When you stand by the ocean

Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens

Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance

I hope you dance

Very well said and my sentiments exactly! We all have the rest of the year to deal with everyday life and the many challenges that sometimes come our way. It's a cruise...it's supposed to be fun and an escape from our normal routines.

We used the above song on our slideshow from my first cruise. It expressed my feelings perfectly for my 2 oldest daughters who were on that cruise with me. At 16 and 20, they really appreciated the new sights and activities they were experiencing. Snorkeling in a cenote at our Calica stop was the highlight of our trip and left my daughters awestruck. My sister traveled with us, and my girls got to see her in a whole new environment too and we made many precious memories - including those of her twirling her napkin and having fun during the dinner entertainment. I'm glad you have those precious memories of your aunt!

In a way that is a tuff one. During are first cruise I didn't really care for it, but it does kind of grow on you as you go on more cruise. For some of the staff that don't look like they like doing it I would say yes. But there seem to be a lot of staff that do seem to enjoy theirselves and have a lot of fun doing the dances. Your last cruise our waiter was the lead in the song Leaving on a Fun Ship, and he really seemed to have a lot of fun doing it.

I worked as a waiter on a cruise ship years ago. The guests in the dining room only see a fraction of the work that must be done by us. We only have so many minutes to get it done with class. Eliminating that ridiculous dancing would lend more time to TAKE CARE OF SERVICE. Isn't that what you go to the dining room for? To be waited on. Believe me you'd notice how much more efficient the SERVICE would be without this distraction and disruption. You who vote to keep the dancing have no sympathy for the wait staff. I'd like to see you STOP AND PERFORM right in the middle of your busy work day.They have enough to do already.

I love it.:) Sorry and I am not a kid. May be a kid at heart. Those of you old at heart might want to take a different ship then and let us young at heart have fun.:D

I agree!!! I just don't get what the big deal is and why folks are sooooooo uptight!!! Relax, go with the flow, be happy....you's are on VACATION!!! Get up and join the Servers....you may find it to actually be FUN!!!

The poll results suggest that most people on a CC Carnival cruise board like the dance. Wonder if there

are many people who would never go on a Carnival cruise (or a Carnival cruise board) because

of stuff like this?

This is NOT a slam! Just wondering?

Please excuse if this is a repeat of a previous post

I voted no. I know some that have travelled extensively with Carnival find the singing and dancing a distraction. We found the momentary entertainment a fun diversion and something that sets Carnival apart from the other lines. Part of what makes them the "fun ships". We actually missed this and have not tired of it, yet. I think if you really want the more sedate and not in favor of this activity, try Celebrity. While we enjoyed the cruise on the Summit the only MDR diversion is when they introduced the chefs one evening. Might be another reason as to why its good to try other lines, good to mix it up if some items that are consistent with one line are starting to bug ya.

i agree with the majority that as long as the staff doesnt mind, it's done near the end of your dinner so why *itch? it's all part of the "package" of our cruise experience :) if you don't want it, leave earlier, and/or do the supper club/lido. they don't do it every night at least on my last cruise they didn't. and the guest's do participate as well and have a good time.

I worked as a waiter on a cruise ship years ago. The guests in the dining room only see a fraction of the work that must be done by us. We only have so many minutes to get it done with class. Eliminating that ridiculous dancing would lend more time to TAKE CARE OF SERVICE. Isn't that what you go to the dining room for? To be waited on. Believe me you'd notice how much more efficient the SERVICE would be without this distraction and disruption. You who vote to keep the dancing have no sympathy for the wait staff. I'd like to see you STOP AND PERFORM right in the middle of your busy work day.They have enough to do already.

Sorry, but you were hired to serve and entertain me. If you don't like it, find another job.

I love it! I dont like stuffy dining experiences and the staff seem to have fun doing it. I worked as a waitress during high school and university and we had to sing silly birthday songs whenever we brought out a birthday cake. I didnt find it demeaning at all. My job was to give my customers the best dining expereience I could and the singing was a part of it. It also usually meant a higher tip... which I'm sure the Carnival staff are thinking as well!!

What cruise line did you work for? I find it interesting that you referred to yourself as a "waiter". Those in the Industry (cruise line or on land) refer to themselves as Servers. The Servers seem to enjoy it (especially those that get up on the service stations dancing) and I never found that service was compromised as a result of it. Did my dessert come out after the dance...sure but I'm on VACATION..what's the big deal! Relax and have some FUN!!!

I voted not to do away with it! Judging by the fact that you refer to yourself as a "waiter" (an outdated job description) as opposed to the modern day term "Server" maybe you should consider cruising on HAL where it's the "Sedate" ship and not the "Fun Ship"!!!

Thats the problem. The aisles are blocked by the dancers and I have been unable to leave many times. If they gave a warning, I wonder how many would leave to avoid the "entertainment".

Of course they give a "warning". When the maitre d' starts talking, that is your two minute warning to get out if you don't like it.

You might as well ask for the funnel to be removed - the dancing stays!

Of course they give a "warning". When the maitre d' starts talking, that is your two minute warning to get out if you don't like it.

You might as well ask for the funnel to be removed - the dancing stays!

You know... I was thinking of writing Carnival a letter about that... I'm sure it's awful for people to have to endure looking at that thing all week... I think they should consider redesigning the ships, what does everyone think? Maybe time for another poll. ;)

.... I'd like to see you STOP AND PERFORM right in the middle of your busy work day.They have enough to do already.

I would love to be able to stop and perform in the middle of my work day.

For people on their first cruise It it is fun & different. I would not want to deprive them of their fun, but it really gets old after a few cruises. Maybe a comprise could be reached with the first & last night having the singing & dancing, with a relaxing dinner the other times.

Archived