Americans working on a Ship

I would be careful what you hope for. The life of a cruise ship worker, including the dance staff, is not for the naive or innocent...It is a rough world below deck...

In what way? Do tell!

For a number of years, I repaired computers aboard ship while they were in port, (I'm retired now) but I got to know many of the I.S. folks aboard. There are a few from the U.S., and I even considered doing that myself for a few contracts after retiring. Since that time, I decided it was more fun to just cruise a lot. ;)

"SKY"

You should read "Cruise Confidential"...

I have. And it was kind of a hypothetical question. I assume hvyhttr21 is implying that there is a lot of drinking, partying, and sex among the crew. So, it's kinda like being at college, right?

We were just on the Triumph. Although it is rare, there were two American girls working on that ship...Vanessa, a bartender from Jersey (Wine bar) and another girl, who may have been a hostess (?? I forget) I think she may have been from Jersey as well.

We were just on the Triumph. Although it is rare, there were two American girls working on that ship...a bartender from Jersey (Wine bar) and another girl (I think she may have been from Jersey as well)

Big hair? :confused:

I worked for Carnival as a youth counselor for Camp Carnival right after college. It was the perfect job for me then, I wasn't ready for a "real" job, I got to travel and meet people from all over the world. I was definitely a minority even in my department but we did have several Canadians and a few other Americans. I definitely didn't do it for the pay but depending on what ship you are on the tips sometimes make up for the lack of salary. We did work 7 days a week but we did get some port days off to go explore the islands and enjoy the sun, we would just have to be back by a certain time and work that evening.

I have many fond memories of my 2 years working for Carnival. But it wasn't always easy, the hardest part for me was being away from family during the holidays (especially Thanksgiving and Christmas).

I got to see and do so many things that I otherwise would have never done and I am still in touch (thanks to Facebook) with many of my fellow shipmates. I wouldn't trade it for the world and would recommend it to anyone who is single and loves to travel and experience new things. The keyword is "single". Almost impossible to keep a significant other on land and stay faithful on the ship ;)

NCL used to be based out of the U.S. and not foreign flagged and hired a lot more Americans ... you might want to check them too, rather than Carnvial if you are sincerely interested.

Foreign flagged ships dont hire many Americans, its true, except for higher up positions.

Yup, one of my best friends has a daughter that has embraced the ship life completely, she works for NCL in the food services. She graduated from culinary school and did a internship at Disney and boom she got a job with NCL with no problem.

She really loves it, but then again her ship is based in the Hawaii, whats not to love? :D

Cheers, Carole

I just got off the Dream and did take the Behind the Fun tour...It was led by the crew trainer and she is from Canada....She told us that there could only be a certain percentage of Canadians and Americans working on the ship..I just finished reading Cruise Confidential and just had to do the Behind The Fun tour...It was a VERY good tour and I saw lots of interesting things......Dennis

I worked for Carnival as a youth counselor for Camp Carnival right after college. It was the perfect job for me ... I wouldn't trade it for the world ;)

We have a friend who would agree with you! She is such a live wire that I am sure she is GREAT in camp carnival! She is going for one more contract (I think that's what its called) and she has NOTHING negative to say about her experience!

Archived