We made a decision..... Thanks for the help.

rhinomike

Well we decided to book the NCL Star...... Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. It is greatly apreciated. We listened to everyones advice and booked based upon itenary. The Star stops in 4 ports.... the Royal Caribean and Celebrity we looked at only had 3 stops.

We are leaving from Seattle on 6/26/10. ME, my wife and our 4 boys (ages 9 - 15). We booked two connecting ocean view rooms (porthole only). We paid $5600.00 for the 6 of us... I am not sure if that is bad or good. We talked about a suite but didnt think we would be in our room much. They put us on the 4th floor in room 4528 and 4530.... Is there any negatives to being down on the 4th floor? We just booked the cheapest connecting rooms they had.... but if there are negatives we would pay for an upgrade. We actually wanted an inside room because we like the room really dark at night. But as far as connecting rooms they only had ocean view....

Please let me know if I should upgrade to a higher floor.... Thanks.

Thanks for "closing the loop" :) Lower is better as far as ocean-motion goes. BUT you are near the front of the ship, so you'll still feel the motion. Could you get moved back to 4592 and 4596? On deck 4, there are only cabins above you, so you don't have to worry about much overhead noise. There are also some adjoining cabins on deck 5.

Take clothes pegs to clip the drapes closed -- that'll help keep the rooms darker.

Thank you for the advice..... Seasickness is not and issue with us and I dont think I will mind the boat movement... but I will check on getting a room further back just in case. My wife handled it but I think she said the other connecting rooms were booked.

Pearl did not have the connecting rooms that we wanted avaialble on the dates we wanted....

Plus I read on here that some like Glacier Bay better and some like Tracys Arm and Sawyer Glacier better... So we figured it was a coin toss....

I read that the Tracy Arm tour boat was a must on the Star...

Why do you think we made a mistake? I am open for any input....

Pearl did not have the connecting rooms that we wanted avaialble on the dates we wanted....

Plus I read on here that some like Glacier Bay better and some like Tracys Arm and Sawyer Glacier better... So we figured it was a coin toss....

I read that the Tracy Arm tour boat was a must on the Star...

Why do you think we made a mistake? I am open for any input....

Glacier Bay is nothing like Tracy Arm, and I think most people here would choose Glacier Bay. The Tracy Arm boat tour is a must on the Star because that may be the ONLY way you will see a glacier.

I did some research here and while it seemed that most like Glacier Bay there was quite a few people that prefered Sawyber Glacier and Tracys Arm.....

So you think I made a mistake? You think Glacier Bay is a must? I dont think we can get on the Pearl but I can look into RCL or Celebrity and see if they go to Glacier Bay. I have 30 days to cancel.

I did some research here and while it seemed that most like Glacier Bay there was quite a few people that prefered Sawyber Glacier and Tracys Arm.....

So you think I made a mistake? You think Glacier Bay is a must? I dont think we can get on the Pearl but I can look into RCL or Celebrity and see if they go to Glacier Bay. I have 30 days to cancel.

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity don't go to Glacier Bay. Your options are Princess (Golden from Seattle), NCL Pearl, and several HAL ships. If it were me, I would choose a ship going to Glacier Bay (or Hubbard Glacier) for a first-time Alaska visit.

They put us on the 4th floor in room 4528 and 4530.... Is there any negatives to being down on the 4th floor?

aren't those the haunted/cursed cabins where the spirits wail and gnash screaming "i went to alaska and all i did was go to the gift shops"

or maybe not, but who knows.

While I agree that Glacier Bay is great, I will also say that by the time we had seen a couple, our kids were off with their friends and not looking at Glaciers anymore. You sound like you have done some research and found reviews that folks enjoyed the exact itinerary you propose, so keep those in mind when you read the comments. If I went and asked our kids what they remember most about our trip, not one would say Glacier Bay, there was so much to see and do (check out photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/roseoftexas/collections/72157601829385443/).

Although, it's easy for someone to say "this or that is the only way I'd do it", but they don't necessarily have the same financial state as you, the same family, the same dates , expectation, etc.

I encourage you to check the alternatives but don't react to every opinion that questions your decision (some contributors only post when they disagree with the OP, not saying that about ones that replied above). If this works for you, then make your own decision.

One observation that I can offer, is that since your oldest is 15, you could consider adjacent rooms, either side by side or across the hall. You may have to book an adult in each room, but can sort out individual keys when you get on board. This could give you some other options in room choices that meet your needs. There will be a number of children activities that your kids may want to do on their own and this gives them a feel of (closely supervised) independence. But heeding my own advice, since I don't know your family, consider this suggestion carefully.

I find the reports to favor going to Tracy Arm via boat tours, vs, via the cruiseship. This add on tour of NCL is close to $200 per person. Which I definately think is a grossly superior transit of Tracy Arm.

Glacier Bay is a highlight, far superior for glacier viewing compared to Tracy Arm.

It is important in your comparisms of your references to each location, be from people who have done both. It's tough to claim, one is "better" when you haven't been there.

Certainly, ALL these cruises will offer you plenty. The rates seem high to me, but you have specific cabin requirements, that you seem to be happy with- all that matters.

While I agree that Glacier Bay is great, I will also say that by the time we had seen a couple, our kids were off with their friends and not looking at Glaciers anymore. You sound like you have done some research and found reviews that folks enjoyed the exact itinerary you propose, so keep those in mind when you read the comments. If I went and asked our kids what they remember most about our trip, not one would say Glacier Bay, there was so much to see and do (check out photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/roseoftexas/collections/72157601829385443/).

Although, it's easy for someone to say "this or that is the only way I'd do it", but they don't necessarily have the same financial state as you, the same family, the same dates , expectation, etc.

I encourage you to check the alternatives but don't react to every opinion that questions your decision (some contributors only post when they disagree with the OP, not saying that about ones that replied above). If this works for you, then make your own decision.

One observation that I can offer, is that since your oldest is 15, you could consider adjacent rooms, either side by side or across the hall. You may have to book an adult in each room, but can sort out individual keys when you get on board. This could give you some other options in room choices that meet your needs. There will be a number of children activities that your kids may want to do on their own and this gives them a feel of (closely supervised) independence. But heeding my own advice, since I don't know your family, consider this suggestion carefully.

Grat pictures... You have a beautiful family. Looks like they had a great time. Thank you for sharing.

Can you tell me the name and number of the limo company that took you to the port... I want to hire a limo to pick us up at the airport and take us to the port.... Thank You.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip to Alaska, no matter which ship you choose. However, I would not eliminate a ship from consideration just because you can't get connecting cabins. If you keep your reservation on the Star, just be aware that you have a pretty short port day in Juneau due to the ship cruising to Tracy Arm the same afternoon.

Me and my wife talked about letting the boys sleep in the room next to us or across from us..... She didnt like the idea. We are pretty (maybe even overly if there is such a thing) protective with our boys. She said no way on the 9 year old and probaly not our 11 year old... maybe on the 13 and 15 year old.... but she prefers not too....

So we are limited on our choices....

We are going to take a look ath the Pearl once again... and take a look at the Infinty. I do know the Pearl was quite a bit more money.... But I dont want cost to control my decision. We are booked on the Star as of now. She also booked the airfare to Seattle so if we switch we may get a penalty with the airefare.....

Me and my wife talked about letting the boys sleep in the room next to us or across from us..... She didnt like the idea. We are pretty (maybe even overly if there is such a thing) protective with our boys. She said no way on the 9 year old and probaly not our 11 year old... maybe on the 13 and 15 year old.... but she prefers not too....

So we are limited on our choices....

We are going to take a look ath the Pearl once again... and take a look at the Infinty. I do know the Pearl was quite a bit more money.... But I dont want cost to control my decision. We are booked on the Star as of now. She also booked the airfare to Seattle so if we switch we may get a penalty with the airefare.....

You COULD have 1 parent plus 2 kids per cabin. I don't know how much more the Pearl is than the Star, but as BQ pointed out - $200/pp for the Star's jet boat to Tracy Arm = $1200.

Celebrity Infinity also goes to Tracy Arm, so it's not an improvement over the Star. I mentioned the ships that go to Glacier Bay from Seattle. But since your wife booked airfare already....good luck!

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity don't go to Glacier Bay. Your options are Princess (Golden from Seattle), NCL Pearl, and several HAL ships. If it were me, I would choose a ship going to Glacier Bay (or Hubbard Glacier) for a first-time Alaska visit.

Princess has no connecting rooms for June or July..... That was our first choice.

HAL (none of their ships) has no connecting rooms...... We would have to get a suite.

So our choices for Glacier Bay are the Star and the Pearl....

Ok I have a question: which is really better Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? We are trying to decide a HAL cruise for next year based on this years itineraries.

My personal preference was Glacier Bay - but it was a beautiful, sunny day when we were there. We were unable to get very close to Hubbard Glacier due to ice, and it was a foggy day. If you do a southbound cruise on Princess, the ships go to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

As an FYI, my Alaska cruise last year went to Tracy Arm, but we were unable to get to the end to see the Sawyer glaciers. I wasn't terribly disappointed, because it was my 3rd Alaska cruise. However, my roommate had never been to Alaska before. I'm glad we spent time at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau before we went to Tracy Arm so my friend could see a glacier!

Ok I have a question: which is really better Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier? We are trying to decide a HAL cruise for next year based on this years itineraries.

There is no "better", Hubbard is much larger, a single glacier. In a large bay, certainly nice sailing, but shorter than Glacier Bay. In Glacier Bay, it is a beautiful transit, about 3 hours to the glaciers, of which you would see at least 4 glaciers. Purely, you "have to see both, in my opinion, at some point. :) Along with the Sawyer's, Endicott, Columbia, College Fjords, etc etc etc etc.

I read that Sawyer and Hubbard had much more "calving" and that is why some prefeered those over Glacier Bay..... No personal experience. Just what I read here on the forum.

Sawyer having more calving?? Sorry no. Most of the time cruise ships are not even close when they do have a view. The Margerie at Glacier Bay, is just about always seen doing some calving. The ship "parks" here an extended time, and every time, I have been in, I've seen calving. Hubbard is an extremely active glacier, with, on average, more calving. BUT, it also is very prone to fog and ships not getting within the "clear" zone. (All glaciers have "viewing", but you have to get within that area, where the warm air rises)

There is no "perfect" answer. Every day is a different story, and nothing remains the same.

I read that Sawyer and Hubbard had much more "calving" and that is why some prefeered those over Glacier Bay..... No personal experience. Just what I read here on the forum.

I have visited Glacier Bay twice (June and August), and Hubbard Glacier twice (in July), and in my experience, there is much more calving action at Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay has a very beautiful transit to the glaciers. A National Park ranger (Glacier Bay National Park and Wrangell-St. Elias National Park for Hubbard Glacier) plus a representative of the Tlingit native people, board the ship at both locations, and provide commentary for the duration of the glacier visits.

I'm going to visit Tracy Arm, and hopefully, Sawyer Glacier, for the first time this year, on a small boat charter, so can't personally comment on that experience.

Can you tell me the name and number of the limo company that took you to the port... I want to hire a limo to pick us up at the airport and take us to the port.... Thank You.

The Limo pictured was the one that took us from home to the airport. In Seattle, we booked car and dropped it at the port (doing the same this year), although we are arriving a couple days early.

Check the West Coast departures boards, there may be some recommendations there.

Archived