Taking an netbook

H2Otstr

For those of you that have taken your netbooks, does skype work for you on the boat?

If the signal was strong, we had no issues. So we sometimes could not access from our stateroom and connection was stronger in public areas. We were on Avalon.

I always travel with my netbook.

I have now discovered two apps for my iphone that allow me to call home cheap and without those pricey calling plans. Skype Mobile and TruPhone. Load them up with a credit, find a good hotspot and call away!

The Verizon Droid can download Skype free. Does anyone know if this means you would be able to call the US from the Danbue area just like a regular phone call? Where would you need to be over there...in a WiFi area?

I have an iphone and use the Skype Mobile app to call home from anywhere I can get a good wireless signal. I turn off data roaming to avoid the excess charges and just use wifi when in Europe. It is cheap and pretty darn good. Yes it is like a regular phone call so I imagine the Driod app would be similar.

Archived