Taking an netbook

H2Otstr

I am going on GCT's Romance of the Rhine & Mosel; MS Melody

I am not sure if I should take my netbook with me on my cruise. I have been told that our boat does not have internet service.

Has anyone taken theirs and looked for WiFi spots or just used internet cafes? Don't want to haul it with me if I don't think I will use it :confused:.

More trouble than it's worth ???

Sharon

I am spoiled and will always take mine! Two years ago, the couple we were traveling with on the AMA Budapest- Amsterdam cruise had good luck using the local wifi at night while we were docked. The ship had it as well but reception was spotty. This August we are booked on the Tauck Prague- Budapest cruise on a ship( or is it a boat?) which supposedly has free wifi, but we will see how that works:) On the previous cruise it was easy and cheap to find a INTERNET café as well.

Hi Sharon, I now take my netbook so I can download my photos (I take a bunch - and I mean a BUNCH - of photos!) and to summarize the events of the day. I can't really call it a travel diary yet because I am not disciplined enough to do it in great detail every day! It's also going to be a help for me later this month, I can use it to charge my ipod and (if I can find the right cords) my cell phone. I may throw it in my daypack and see if there are any free wifi locations if I stop for a snack during the day.

Happy travels!

Liz

I always took a laptop while still working. I needed it for keeping in communications. When I retired I stopped taking a laptop - it was too big and a pain to carry around. In 2008 I got a netbook for Christmas and I have been taking it everywhere to include two river cruises in Europe. Downloading photos is one of the big pluses. One interesting note that I discovered was that there were usually free hotspots right near where we docked in most cities that I could access from the boat. Althought the boats had a good system, these hotspots were much faster. We are taking another river cruise next month and I will be packing the netbook.

I am going on GCT's Romance of the Rhine & Mosel; MS Melody

I am not sure if I should take my netbook with me on my cruise. I have been told that our boat does not have internet service.

Has anyone taken theirs and looked for WiFi spots or just used internet cafes? Don't want to haul it with me if I don't think I will use it :confused:.

More trouble than it's worth ???

Sharon

Sharon,

Much as others reported it's convenient having a small computer - especially for downloading photos daily, organizing and adding captions as you go. (I use Google Picasa, it works well and it's free)

Keeping the date and time on your camera accurate also helps to reconstruct things you may forget.

I prepare for the trip by making notes to the Outlook calendar for each day. Doing so helps keep track of the itinerary, day/dates when we're cruising.

Often find that others on cruise will appreciate being able to have a CD or DVD made of their images (if your device can do so bring a few blank disks) for backing-up your (and their) already captured images.

I've taken shots of the tour daily agenda, venue admission receipts and other identifying objects that comes in handy later when getting down to the details of the trip. (I keep a daily journal)

When possible and available, free WiFi was great for emails and attaching images for friends and families to see.

(Picasa allows you to pre-specify efficient resolution for such)

About 2 years ago, I purchased a small laptop (Fujitsu) with 10" screen, weighs 2.5 lbs with drive and DVD ... would not travel without it.

Having the laptop, I can also take the "magic-jack" phone device with me just in case I must call home (free).

Have a wonderful trip!

Jerry

I'll voice my opinion just to give you something to think about. I took my netbook to Europe last summer (not a river cruise) and will not be taking it back this year. If you are one to keep a calendar, type stuff you want to remember, etc., then take it. I spent so much time every night getting adapters and converters in place to charge it, and then going through a lengthy log-in process that I felt like I lost an hour of sleep every night. Every hotel we stayed in had free Wi-Fi but there were always a couple of long numbers to enter and everything had to be exactly right, of course to get the connection going. It was nice to email home but got to be a burden to let everybody know what we did that day, which we could have told them when we got home, and then reading their return emails telling us to be careful and have fun, which was also unnecessary. In case of emergency, we will have a couple of internet phones with us as well as an international calling one, so we will just report safe arrival and then chit chat when I get back. As for pictures, I take 8-10 GB of camera cards with me so I don't need to download and don't want to waste vacation time editing or sending pictures home that everyone can see when I get back. This is just my opinion....just think about how you want to use yours before you decide if you need it. I forgot to mention the stress over being sure you had the converter right to avoid frying your computer when you tried to recharge it.

Being somewhat of a computer nerd, traveling with a netbook with WiFi is "G-d sent". I'll have over 32G of cards with me, plus a 60G hard drive for video. With the netbook I backup my photos, edit and re-size my photos for email, and just keep in touch "with the other world". It's not for all. Some like to spend their relaxing time reading (like my wife), some, like me, enjoy spending casual time on the computer and internet. We're all a little different - that's what makes life interesting.

Being somewhat of a computer nerd, traveling with a netbook with WiFi is "G-d sent". I'll have over 32G of cards with me, plus a 60G hard drive for video. With the netbook I backup my photos, edit and re-size my photos for email, and just keep in touch "with the other world". It's not for all. Some like to spend their relaxing time reading (like my wife), some, like me, enjoy spending casual time on the computer and internet. We're all a little different - that's what makes life interesting.
I completely agree! Getting on the Internet with hotel instructions has never been THAT tough. It lets me put out fires at work with quick e-mails and calendar scheduling using Outlook Net Access while I'm gone. It also lets you (if you have a laptop or a netbook with an external DVD unit) watch movies on long train or airplane rides. Just don't try to bring a 17" screen 10 lb. monster--14" is max without breaking your back (mine is 13.3" and the right compromise for me since it's hard to find a powerful unit smaller than that unless you spend big bucks.

Les

I completely agree! Getting on the Internet with hotel instructions has never been THAT tough. It lets me put out fires at work with quick e-mails and calendar scheduling using Outlook Net Access while I'm gone. It also lets you (if you have a laptop or a netbook with an external DVD unit) watch movies on long train or airplane rides. Just don't try to bring a 17" screen 10 lb. monster--14" is max without breaking your back (mine is 13.3" and the right compromise for me since it's hard to find a powerful unit smaller than that unless you spend big bucks.

Les

Well, we are NOT in a hotel for this trip, AND I no longer have to put out any more fires at work :D, and my netbook does not have a DVD drive.

We are on a river cruise with no internet service on board.

I think I'll pack my carry on and then decide if I want to take it along.

Sharon

I always carry my netbook primarily to maintain a journal and download pictures. I like to go through them nightly and delete the obvious bad ones, then save the rest to my netbook. I have had memory cards for my camera go bad so I don't like to keep them on the cards.

But both the DW and I are avid semi-professional photographers and average over 300 pictures a day (and sometimes more) for each of us when traveling. We shoot in RAW mode so each picture typically runs around 10mb which means we need lots of space for storage. I also carry a 250gb portable hard drive.

I do carry a Belkin travel surge protector (see it HERE), because it also provides additional outlets.

Don't forget your international transformer and plugs when you leave!

Cheers,

It all depends on individual needs and preferences....each has to decide for themselves how much time and weight dedicated to computer use is right for them. I didn't say it is difficult to log on in hotels but was referring to the time spent just to visit with someone at home when it wasn't necessary.

I do carry a Belkin travel surge protector (see it HERE), because it also provides additional outlets.

Cheers,

Bill, I saw those today at Wal Mart for $18.00. Maybe I will get one tomorrow. I was hesitant to buy it because I could not see too much of what it looks like in the package. Thanks for the recommendation.

I purchased one of these. Finally opened the package and it is a 3 prong, grounded plug. Since I will be using it in Europe, I need to add a European plug adapter, which takes away from the grounding.

Is this going to work? Be effective? I know power will still run thru it, but is the surge protection working?

Sharon;

I have used ours extensively and never had a problem. Plug it into the 110VAC outlet and not the European one. There is one of each side by side under the mirror in your cabin. If using off ship then take along a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter and use your transformer. I would not be concerned for short time usages, but wouldn't leave it plugged in for hours.

Cheers,

I have a new netbook that I have been told will work on 110-240V, and have been told all I need to take with me is a surge protector and an adapter. Sounds too easy to me. Can anyone more computer/electrical literate than I am convince me this is fact.....There is no switch on the netbook to change from 110V to 220V and I have a hard time believiing that I don't need a converter.

I have a new netbook that I have been told will work on 110-240V, and have been told all I need to take with me is a surge protector and an adapter. Sounds too easy to me. Can anyone more computer/electrical literate than I am convince me this is fact.....There is no switch on the netbook to change from 110V to 220V and I have a hard time believiing that I don't need a converter.

Modern electronics accept a wide range of voltage with no 'switch'. The little wall wart power supply is made for it. You will need an adapter from the flat blades of a US plug to the round type used in much of Europe. Radio Shack sells a foreign adapter (Model: 273-362 | Catalog #: 273-362 ). Not sure about Walmart.

If you read the fine print on the wall wart it should say the voltage rating something like '110-240 volts'.

Use an adapter and just plug your netbook power supply into an outlet. :):)

Modern electronics accept a wide range of voltage with no 'switch'. The little wall wart power supply is made for it. You will need an adapter from the flat blades of a US plug to the round type used in much of Europe. Radio Shack sells a foreign adapter (Model: 273-362 | Catalog #: 273-362 ). Not sure about Walmart.

If you read the fine print on the wall wart it should say the voltage rating something like '110-240 volts'.

Use an adapter and just plug your netbook power supply into an outlet. :):)

Almost all electronics marketed within the last 5 years that work on 110 to 240 volts use a switching power supply. What this electrical jargon means is that it accepts a wide range of voltage input, but converting it to the correct internal voltage that the device needs. While it is possible that a surge great enough to damage the power supply might occur, these power supplies usually have a wide tolerance designed in.

If you are a belt and suspenders person, you may feel more comfortable with a surge protector in addition to the built in voltage limitation. I don't feel uncomfortable using mine without a surge protector.

One caution, if you do decide to use a surge protector, be sure to get one designed to be used with 240 volts. I used a US style power strip in Europe that I didn't realize included a surge protector. Evidently it considered the European 240 V as a surge, and activated. It's protection was to short the hot and ground leads, causing the hotel's circuit breaker to trip. So the outlets in my room were unusable till maintenance could come up and reset.

Thanks, Bill. I'll look for those outlets by the mirrors. The only 110 we have ever found on the river boats in Europe have been in the bathroom.

S

You are right. I had a senior moment and told you what most ocean cruise ships have :o. Just plug your voltage transformer into the European socket and then plug your Belkin into the transformer. You might need a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter depending on your transformer but I believe most have a standard U.S. 3 prong outlet.

Cheers,

• 5 weeks later...

Almost all the new blackberry's work all threw Europe. You sign up for the over seas plan it runs about 2.90 a day. Includes your browser all e mails and instant messages. Just a thought for those who have a Blackberry. The note books do work but the band with on river boats are very small. Anymore than 4 people using a computer forget it. Some river boats have what they call a hot spot. When you get on board ask where they are that will help with getting on the internet. Showing a stong signal does not mean you are goping to get connect to the internet. Just means you are connected to there server.

I was unable to connect the whole time we were there. Our boat had internet, but through their netbook only. No one was able to connect their own to the network. And it only worked in Germany, not the other countries that we visited.

One man did get WiFi in one of the beer gardens in Speyer, but everyone else resorted to finding internet cafes in the larger towns.

Archived