Learning Spanish

Chadzbrew

Just a fun thread:

Just wondering how many learn simple phrases prior to going to Mexico? I always touch back up on the basics. Donde esta el bano? (Where is the bathroom) is a must. What phrases do you usually need to know?

I review my little Barron's pocket guide before I go, too. Actually I usually bring it along. The second most essential phrase (after el bano) is "la cuenta, por favor" or you will be sitting all evening waiting for the check for food and drinks to be presented! In Mexico, the bill is rarely given to you until you ask. :)

Actually, I do. I bought a copy of Spanish Phrases for Dummies and marked all the lines I'd like to know to study, then I copied down the essentials onto a cheat sheet which I then memorized. It actually worked out fairly well for me. My top phrases?

Dos mas cervezas, por favor! (Two more beers, please!)

Donde esta los banos? (Where are the bathrooms? Comes in handy after those beers :rolleyes:)

No me interesta, gracias (I'm not interested, thanks ... for the beach vendors).

No me moleste, por favor! (Don't bother me, please! ... for the overly aggressive beach vendors).

And, just for fun: Donde esta la zapateria? (I'll let you fashionistas figure out that one on your own :p)

The one problem with asking more complicated questions is that you are going to get an answer- and it will be in Spanish. That is where the going can get rough! I advise bringing along your kid who has been studying Spanish in school. Great for his/her education and gets you where you want to go too!

The one problem with asking more complicated questions is that you are going to get an answer- and it will be in Spanish. That is where the going can get rough! I advise bringing along your kid who has been studying Spanish in school. Great for his/her education and gets you where you want to go too!

Very true. In my limited experience with it, though, I've found that people appreciate that I'm making an effort to speak their language and between us we sort of figure out the rest of the longer conversations in a blend of Spanish, English, and gestures ... and lots of laughter, too.

I speak Spanish, and I suggest...

Cual colectivo va a la playa?

(Which bus goes to the beach?)

Vamos a la playa. (We're going to the beach.) - for taxis

Cuanto cuesta? (How much does it cost?)

A que hora termina esta diversion? (What time will the excurision finish?)

Vamos al puerto de barcos.

(We're going to the ship port). - for taxis.

Que bella su pais, me encanta!

(For buttering up the locals) ;)

Archived