"Balmoral" to Spitzbergen

Parsman

I have cruised very many times with Fred. Olsen but one place I have never visited is Spitzbergen. In a moment of weakness I have just booked on the "Balmoral" from Dover on 2nd. July. Has anyone any views on Spitzbergen? Anyone else on board?

We're booked on this cruise along with some friends who we sailed with on the Black Watch to Spitsbergen some years ago. You can infer from this that we regard it as an experience well worth repeating. The scenery, the wildlife and 24 hour daylight will I'm sure make it unforgettable. Add to this the usual FO ambience and we're counting the weeks!

You won't regret it.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been twice to both Longyearbryn and Ny Alesund in July. On both occasions the daily high was round 6c. It felt reasonably pleasant as it was dry, wind free and sometimes sunny. I did use my thick coat, hat, scarf and gloves. Travelling accsorss that Berants Sea to and from Svalbard was less comfortable. Wind, rain, fog and cold. Sometimes it was difficult to walk on deck.

Fantastic place to cruise. We might go back in 2011.

Best wishes, Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Stephen. Are there any excursions which we should not miss up there. We are quite active although now in our 50s, and did the rib boat trips on previous voyages and we are hoping to find some exciting trips. Any recommendations.

Ny Alesund: No tours as there are not tour companies. We walked round the village. Visited the shop, museum and post office.

Longyearbryn: The first time we took a tour as it is not safe to leave the town otherwise. We did the coach trip to the husky kennels which was good as we love dogs. The most active tour was glacier trekking. The second time we walked round the town and did the Svalbard Museum (superb), Airship Museum (less good) and Church (with very sociable cafe). All these attractions can be reached on foot from the ship or shuttle bus stop.

Best wishes, Stephen.

• 1 month later...
We have been twice to both Longyearbryn and Ny Alesund in July. On both occasions the daily high was round 6c. It felt reasonably pleasant as it was dry, wind free and sometimes sunny. I did use my thick coat, hat, scarf and gloves. Travelling accsorss that Berants Sea to and from Svalbard was less comfortable. Wind, rain, fog and cold. Sometimes it was difficult to walk on deck.

Fantastic place to cruise. We might go back in 2011.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Thanks for the weather data and what to wear particularly on the bridge or on deck. I'm looking forward to the July 2 sailing.

Longyearbryn: The first time we took a tour as it is not safe to leave the town otherwise. We did the coach trip to the husky kennels which was good as we love dogs. The most active tour was glacier trekking.

Hi

Thanks for your useful information. We are on the Boudicca in July and have just received our cruise book.

Could you tell me, when you went on the glacier trek did you wear walking boots and what sort of cost was it (the book just says TBA)?

Thanks

We are also on Boudicca out of Rosyth in July. I checked for a RC but could not find one.

The reason for the lack of info regarding the glacier hike probably has much to do with the level of fitness required for this particular shorex. There should be a meeting onboard to explain what the hike entails and to ensure that those who sign up know what they are committing to.

I had searched the internet with "Glacier Hike Longbearyen" and had some success with the results. It may be though, that there is more than one glacier hike, not exactly 100% certain of that. What we read about one glacier hike made us decide that this shorex was not for us.

Because of copyright, unsure if I can copy/paste a link on here, but try searching the internet. If you get the same results as we did, the first one should be a blog entry from the travelpod site, by a person with a username the same as a fairytale character.:)

I had time today to look more closely at the internet search results. reading more of the links (instead of only the first one) produced much more information.

It appears that there is more than one "glacier hike", with variations including going underground to a glacier cave and others in combination with trekking.

SAGA was one result, describing their "glacier hike" (duration approx 3 hours, and the Svalbard Tourist Info website gave more details of others under their summer activity section. This included their prices for each, but of course FO likely to have different pricing even if their shorex is the same as one of these mentioned.

Having read all the descriptions we are still of the opinion that we are giving this shorex a pass! In some ways this is sad, because we think that this glacier hike (whatever route it follows) could be a highlight of the entire trip for those enthusiastic and fit enough to participate.

Because walking/hiking boots are bulky I suggest you do as we did and read, so you know whether or not to pack yours.

You're right, after extensive reading we're still not sure. There seems to be a variety of glacier hikes on offer and I can't imagine Fred choosing one of the tougher ones but I don't think were quite into crampons and being roped together!

Sounds like we will not be the only ones going along to see what the glacier hike will be like. Maybe someone should call Fred and ask how tough it will be - then post here. I would love to do a glacier hike but not a 'madhatter' day. Annoyingly we were due to do one last year at Olsen with P&O but ship got diverted and we went to Flaam instead.

Archived