What part of hell have you traveled through?

Tim-n-Rick

We've traveled through some pretty scary places to get to our disembarkation ports. So far our weirdest experience was traveling through Alabama. We are convinced that evolution isnt done with them yet (apologies if you are from there). What part of hell have you traveled through to get to your trip to paradise and what made it so...weird?

Well I've literally been to hell and back... Hell, Grand Cayman Island that is! :) I've been to Hell twice and made it back alive both times. Ha ha! :D

Jamaica is my Hell in the Western Caribbean!! :eek:

You took my joke ;) I was going to say that :D

I hated St. Lucia. Harrassed relentlessly on the beach and in town to buy stuff. I can take the ocassional offer but this was like having a person come up each 60 seconds. I'd stay on the ship there is we were on a cruise that went back, same as we stay on the ship for any cruise that goes to Jamaica.

We've traveled through some pretty scary places to get to our disembarkation ports. So far our weirdest experience was traveling through Alabama.

I'm hearin' banjo music. There are third world countries that just happen to be part of the U.S. ;) Just FWIW though, Alabama isn't any worse (or better) than a lot of other places, including many north of the Mason-Dixon line. Just all part of the landscape of America that doesn't fit out preconceived notions.

We are convinced that evolution isnt done with them yet (apologies if you are from there).
What's actually scarier is that evolution IS done with them.
What part of hell have you traveled through to get to your trip to paradise and what made it so...weird?

The worst, or most humbling I think, was on Amtrak from MD to FL looking at scenes that could have been right out of "Tobacco Road". I wouldn't say it was scary, more depressing due to the extent and scale of the poverty. Those of us who are able to do things such as cruises are very fortunate.

Schplinky -

Sorry you didn't enjoy St. Lucia -- it was my favorite Caribbean island. Such intense natural beauty. Had some hawkers come up to us, but a simple "no thank you" mostly got it done.

JPEvans - Sorry! I couldn't resist when I came across the thread! Did you know there is a Hell, Michigan which is the sister town to Hell, Grand Cayman? They boast about it proudly in the Hell, Grand Cayman post office. :) I love that tourist trap. The rock formation just makes you want to get a pitchfork and grow a tail! :rolleyes::p

Hands down I would have to say Acapulco....The incessant harassment by vendors and taxi drivers... Have to go there on March 20th to board ship for Panama Cruise....YIKES!!!

Try outside of Nassau Bahamas, those taxi drivers are crazy. Oh yeah and do you want a moped? You sure you don't want a moped? I have a moped right here for you sir. It's a nice moped. Uh huh, for about a block and a half you go through that. :eek: I wouldn't get on a moped to save my life! I am so uncoordinated I know I'd fall over. :o

A HAL Noordam cruise 3 years ago w/ over 400 kids onboard, Jamaica(2x 20 years apart), certain parts of China, Haiti back in 1981 and a certain bar in Nassau way back i n 1976....

oh well....not bad considering all teh HEAVENS I've seen over the years!!!!

Constanta in Romania on a cool rainy Sunday morning. A very poor dirty depressing place which made us feel very grateful for where we came from.

San Blas islands next to Panama. What a ridiculous place. Everybody hated it. When the ship was about to depart anchorage we saw all the so called native indians leaving on boats to their houses on the main land.

Both are not really hell but am in no mood to go back there...

Constanta in Romania on a cool rainy Sunday morning. A very poor dirty depressing place which made us feel very grateful for where we came from.

Oslo, I've never been but I could picture it in my mind reading your description. I'm crossing it off my mental list of places to visit.

Archived