Question about main dinning room

mondas42

Hi

We have our first ever cruise booked for this May with RCI, but we are already looking for our next cruise in 2011. NCL have a great med cruise for April 2011 on Jade, but I have a question about the dinner arrangements. I think I understand the Freestyle dining, but I have read a few reviews on this site stating that they had to wait a very long time to get seated in the MDR's and felt they had to go to the other restaurants, thus incuring a charge. My question is can you book a table in advance in the MDR, either for the whole holday or day by day, or is it turn up early and hope?

Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later

Martin

Hi

We have our first ever cruise booked for this May with RCI, but we are already looking for our next cruise in 2011. NCL have a great med cruise for April 2011 on Jade, but I have a question about the dinner arrangements. I think I understand the Freestyle dining, but I have read a few reviews on this site stating that they had to wait a very long time to get seated in the MDR's and felt they had to go to the other restaurants, thus incuring a charge. My question is can you book a table in advance in the MDR, either for the whole holday or day by day, or is it turn up early and hope?

Martin

Don't believe everything you read. :D

I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to get a table in the MDR. There may sometimes be a short wait especially right after the early show lets out. Think of the MDR like your favorite restaurant at home. If you show up at the most popular time there may be a wait. Freestyle dinning is no different.

No you will never be forced to go to a specialty restaurant because of a long wait.

As for booking a table in advance, they usually will only if it is a large party. You can inquire with the maitre de but you really shouldn't have a problem getting a table.

Enjoy your cruise if you choose to book with NCL. :)

I'm sure that occasionally there might be a wait but it is far from the norm. I've been on 8 Freestyle cruises and only twice have I had to wait to be seated at dinner time and both times it was for only 5-10 minutes.

I only waited a few minutes one time on our Jewel cruise last month. But there are two main dinning rooms and the Azura mid ship was always an option. This is not a big problem at all. I think it is very well managed. They also have these tv like screens all over the place that tell you what the situation is in each dinning room.

Hi

Martin

Firstly, we have been on Jade 3 times now, and enjoyed it very much...a modern, well equipped ship. For our total sailing nights of 33, only on a handful of occasions have we had to wait (varied 5-20 minutes). If there is a wait, you get a handset (like an old mobile phone) which will beep when they are ready....this means you can wander around the atrium area, get a seat in a bar and listen to music etc, with or without a drink.

We always choose to go to one of the specialty restaurants a couple of times each cruise for variety, but absolutely no need for that. The food in MDR is absolutely fine, not gourmet but more than acceptable.

We have cruised RCCL also, and both lines are comparable with pluses and minuses on each...just like any other cruiseline.

Hi

We were on the Jade in Jan and never waited more than 2 or 3 mins for a table at any time of the day. The food in the Pacific dining room is very good and the service as well.

In fact- we never even got round to trying the "Specialty" restaurant because the food was so good in the "pre-paid" restaurants.

They offered a really good selection in beautiful surroundings.

have a great time -- we did!!!!

Archived