TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

First timer here! I live in Queensland, Australia.

My husband and I are taking our first ever cruise in August 2014, four nights up the coast of Queensland through the Whitsundays.

I've already got two A4 pages of tightly scribbled notes, and I'm not even half way through this thread :eek:

I'm a bit excited! :D

My husband and I are taking our first ever cruise in August 2014, four nights up the coast of Queensland through the Whitsundays.

I've already got two A4 pages of tightly scribbled notes, and I'm not even half way through this thread :eek:

Congrats on booking your first cruise!! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. :)

Hi there,

Are you going on an Australian based ship? If so, there is an Australian and New Zealand Forum that you might like to look at (if you have not already done so!) that might give you some ideas. Enjoy your cruise....it is very addictive!:D

Hey there . Is it with p&o Australia ? . They do have a forum and up the top they have the ultimate packing list also . Tip - Grab some medi cream from your chemist / Safeway / Coles .It's an Antiseptic , anti flam and local anaesetic in a tube . I Carry it with me every where . Last cruise on the Jewell to Fiji it came in handy with a couple that got jellyfish stings - they thought it was a life saver :-) Awesome handy cream to have especially in the whitsundays . Good for burns , bites ,scratches etc Also if you can be bothered get some betadine ointment .. Great for coral cuts , which can get nastily infected if not cleaned properly .

. Enjoy

Silly question re the $1 bills . I am presuming you mean American dollar bills or would Euro do considering the ship is in Europe for weeks on end and the crew may want to spend it off shore . ??? What do the crew prefer ? .

Sea bands ( the wrist bands that have acupuncture points for sea sickness ). Mine are already in my case .

and be sure that your tickets, documents, passports are in your hand when you are embarking, as the kind porters take all your luggage to go direct to your cabin while you complete the embarkation procedure.

So true! I can tell you from personal experience, DO NOT leave your cruise docs in the front pocket of your suitcase, unless you want to wait around while the porters search the luggage room to reunite you with your suitcase so you can board the ship!

Yep, next cruise I will bring a cheap 2$ towel from K-Mart, wife and I were stressed out last cruise because of the possibility that someone would steel our towel and we would be charged 25$ :mad: for that ugly towel.

On the ship not so worried, but on the beach like GSC, once in the water who knows who will take your towel and BAMM :mad: -25$

So cruisers are CHARGED to get pool towels? Can someone please elaborate on this....

So cruisers are CHARGED to get pool towels? Can someone please elaborate on this....

Your towel ( one per person ) is delivered in your cabin usually after sailaway.

Then if you want a new towel, you have to exchange the one you got. Either at the exchange counter near the pool or by leaving it on the bathroom floor in your cabin.

If at the end of your cruise your towel is not in your room you will be 25$ lighter.

This in NOT your regular white towel for the shower, it is a either white/green or blue beach towel.

Make a schedule with important events...tours, meet and greet, slot pulls..... and bring magnets...the walls are metal. Was very helpful

Conditioner ( not given )

Less clothes and shoes then you think you need

Happy fun attitude...and drinks help

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Don't bring an iron. It's a safety hazard.

Do bring Post-Its.

Most important.... bring your tickets,documents,passports.

Agree about the iron, they will take it if they find it while scanning luggage. I think for good reason though, they say fire is the biggest threat to our safety at sea. Try the Downey Wrinkle Releaser, its pretty good..

Air freshener, extension cord, extra memory card for camera, large plastic bag for laundry, lysol wipes to clean tv remote etc...alarmclock .. Over counter meds, once paid over ten dollars for bottle of nyquil on breakaway...sweatshirt--'ship air conditioning can be cold!

Things people forget? Here's my list

• Prescription drugs. Kind of important not to forget those.
  • OTC drugs for pain/inflammation, stomach upset, and sunburn. You can get seasickness drugs at the service desk in the atrium if you find you need them. It's good to have a supply of the drugs that you know work well for you.
  • Chargers and cords for your personal electronics.
  • Power strip, if you carry more than one or two things that need to be charged every day. There aren't many electic outlets in most cabins.
  • Ziplock bags. Great for containerizing practically anything you don't want rolling around loose.
  • Some sort of clock if you care to know what time it is. You might not.
  • Sunscreen. It's expensive on the ship and if you're in sunny climes, YOU NEED IT.
  • More than one bathing suit. You might want to wear one while your other one is still wet.

Other than that, what you'd typically take on vacation. For most cruises we end up changing clothes for dinner (not necessarily to dress up), but spend at least a few days just in bathing suits. Don't go nuts with the clothes unless dressing up is really your thing.

2 magnets to post stuff on your walls - they are magnetic! (or decorate your stateroom door.)

A laundry or plastic garbage bag as a hamper.

Small bills & singles for tipping porters, cabs & small knick knack shops. This is highly useful while in ports.

An empty beach bag.

A water wallet big enough to hold your IDs & cash like this. While you swim. Just try to avoid the see through ones.

6y8a9ebe.jpg

Edited by Pack My Bags

Hey there . Is it with p&o Australia ? . They do have a forum and up the top they have the ultimate packing list also . Tip - Grab some medi cream from your chemist / Safeway / Coles .It's an Antiseptic , anti flam and local anaesetic in a tube.

Yes, it is with P&O, on the Pacific Jewel

I'm familiar with Medicreme. Top stuff to have around, so will be throwing that in the bag :)

I'll definitely try to find the Australia/New Zealand forum and check it out, thank you :)

This one has been super informative, but a certain amount has no relevance to me ;)

Thanks also for the replies SissasMomE & resordanis :) I've only just seen them now :o

Edited by shellfisch
adding & typo

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies if these have been mentioned prior...

My fiance swears by Scopolamine patches. Poor guy gets motion sickness on the lake.

I swear by "Poo-purri" :) It's an all natural oil you spritz before "you go" I'm not advertising, I just think it's helpful. Beats air freshener!

Would someone please tell me (definitely) whether or not a hair straightening iron is allowed (travel size or not)? I always see "no irons" which I assume means clothing irons. But, I've seen some say no hair irons either.

Thanks everyone!!!

My apologies if these have been mentioned prior...

My fiance swears by Scopolamine patches. Poor guy gets motion sickness on the lake.

I swear by "Poo-purri" :) It's an all natural oil you spritz before "you go" I'm not advertising, I just think it's helpful. Beats air freshener!

Would someone please tell me (definitely) whether or not a hair straightening iron is allowed (travel size or not)? I always see "no irons" which I assume means clothing irons. But, I've seen some say no hair irons either.

Thanks everyone!!!

I always take my hair straightener with no problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD