TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

hangers (We bring extras because we are not light packers. )

Motion SIckness meds (Meclizine Hydrochloride???)

Travel Mug(s) for coffee or other beverage

Your cabin attendant will be glad to bring you as many hangers as you need. One more item that you do not need to pack.

DON

In more than 10 years of cruising various p0rts in the world and traveling others parts of the world, sometimes extended stays of several weeks in both Europe and Australia when doing land travels, we've never notified our credit card company. We've never had a problem with them putting a hold on our account because of a charge from another country.

I live in Las Vegas and had a credit card problem when I was traveling in the adjacent state of California. My card was refused at a McD. Embarrassing.

Better safe than sorry.

DON

I don't know from personal experience but some on here have reported that they could borrow an iron from the front desk. Ask your steward. As I said though, I'm only repeating what others have said.

Have a great cruise!

We were on the Sky last May and when I asked about an iron I was told they were not allowed. I had to send our clothing out to be pressed ... it was pricey. They offer a promotion on pressing the first day you board thet cruise. Had I know about the iron the first day I would have taken advantage of the promo ...

I live in Las Vegas and had a credit card problem when I was traveling in the adjacent state of California. My card was refused at a McD. Embarrassing.

Better safe than sorry.

DON

Sometimes when a bank is performing some kind of maintenance they temporarily refuse a credit card. We had that happen when checking into a TX motel. The clerk simply re-ran the card and the authorization came right up with no problem.

In more than 10 years of cruising various p0rts in the world and traveling others parts of the world, sometimes extended stays of several weeks in both Europe and Australia when doing land travels, we've never notified our credit card company. We've never had a problem with them putting a hold on our account because of a charge from another country.

This has happened to us SEVERAL times...most recently in February 2010 in Cozumel,Mexico. I was stung by a sting ray and had to be rushed to the emergency room. The hospital put $1000 on my credit card before they would even look at me. Then, four hours later, the hospital tried to put an additional $250 on the same card and the card company froze the card because we had forgotten to inform them!So there I was in a hospital in Mexico..no cardand not enough cash to cover the bill! Informing your credit card company is GOOD advice!

Most important thing we bring is our swimsuits in our carry on suitcase on embarkation day, or we wear them under our clothes. The pools are open that first day and if you board early like we do, you and your kids will have the pools to themselves that first day!

I wear reef sandles that have a built in bottle opener on the bottom of them, anything else we forget, we can buy while we're there.

So, swimsuit, check. Flippy flops with bottle opener, check. Packing done. :D

Mark

Other than the obvious tickets, passport, money....my must have list is easy and simple. Sunglasses, a book, camera battery charger, memory cards, travel hand sanitizer (for excursions) sunblock, aloe gel, small first aid kit (ours has band aids, tweezers, neosporin, alcohol wipes, immodium, pepto, bonine, advil, sinus meds, eye drops, ear drops)

Things have changed dramatically with credit card companies lately and it is not the least unusual for them to put a hold on your card. Very wise to advise them or you could be up the creek without a paddle. Better safe than sorry.

One thing I forgot, that I don't THINK was mentioned: ear plugs!

I've had 2 very noisy cruises (vacuuming at 7am in our hallway!!!) and they saved my life. Who wants to get up at the first ray of light on vacation?

My recommendations are:

surge protector with several plugs as there are very few plugs in the room.

Aloe with lidocaine!!

Dulcolax (sounds gross, but the food is way richer than what you normally eat)

A warm sweater

extra sunscreen

an empty water bottle

Small travel-size steam iron. I didn't think to bring one on my first cruise. I thought there would be one in the cabin (like a hotel room). No iron, had to send things to be pressed, very pricey. Now, I always pack it. Our friends went with us after Thanksgiving and borrowed it. They didn't think to pack one either.

Have fun!

On our Mar Star cruise we met someone who had brought a travel iron and it was taken away from her before boarding - told no irons allowed (I had also read that elsewhere) - she had to retrieve it after the cruise.

Immodium, Pepto, Rolaids

and Gas X

Cruise food can tear up your stomach... Eating bad for a week does it to me everytime.

Everyone will all apreciate the Gas X.... Nothing is worse than walking thru the ship and hitting a buffet fart pocket... LOL.

• 1 month later...
I guess I just don't get all this. It all seems like far too much preparation, for such a few days. I've often thought, that I should like to go on a cruise and I always thought of a cruise as a tranquil setting, peaceful, getting away from the noise of the world, to be found on dry land, no clubs, pubs, noisy surroundings. seems I was very wrong.

I viewed part of a video, filmed on one of the cruise ships, NCL, I believe. The area videoed was the pool area. It was like looking at some horror story of a beach in spain, with hundred of people in the area, loud noise coming from the pool and people swarming, like flies, around food outlets.

I have a friend who works for a travel company and he told me ''Well, that's freestyle cruising. It's more like an upmarket holiday camp, but on the ocean.''

It seems that these cruises are more expensive, than one would think. I'm beginning to realise that, there is more and more expense piled on to one, once is at sea. I am not clear in my understanding about the food one may eat. Is that all an extra, which one has to pay for, or is it included in the fee you pay for cabin and being taken across the waves?

Then someone mentions that a certain amount of money is added to on board accounts to cover service charges. Why should that be extra, when the cruise company, is being paid a large amount already. i find that scandalous.

Also people talk of tipping all and sundry. Why? I know that the custom is, in the States to tip people, but heck, these people are getting paid to do their job. They don't have to work on a cruise ship.

I can never understand how people can afford to hand out a dollar here and a dollar their. They must be very well off people. I most certainly would not be able to do all this tipping and I wouldn't, nor would I be afraid to tell the cruise ship employee why I won't tip.

If you get paid for doing a job, you should not expect tips. If the person isn't earning enough, then a company should pay them more.

It also always surprises me, that some people and I know a few, who plead poverty and being thousands of dollars or pounds, in debt, can suddenly be able to afford one cruise, or maybe more, in a year. Cruises are not cheap things. I have never looked at those people, in the same light.

I cannot believe the amount of things, which some people take with them, on a cruise. All, but the kitchen sink! I think that must surely, be over the top. Don't the cruise ships have shops, where they will be more than willing to accept your cash, for the things you may need.

Never enough electrical outlets? It's meant to be a holiday, not an expedition, or a moving of house.

Someone said the food can play hell with the stomach. Then don't eat it! Is the sole intention of every cruiser to become a glutton and eat all put before them. If so, that is a rather unsavoury (forgive the pun), way of looking at food and eating.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....sounds like cruising is not the vacation for you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....sounds like cruising is not the vacation for you.

Agreed.

Though these people work on board and get paid... they don't get paid very much... thus the tips. They are not subject to US Labor laws, so minimum wage doesn't apply.

We always tip more than the daily service charge because these folks work very, very hard. They bend over backwards to make sure our vacation is extra special.

By the way, the cruise experience is not much different than a land-based resort as far as the crowds are concerned. You CAN find quiet, peaceful areas to relax. You just have to know where to look.

And, no, cash is not accepted in the gift shops.

Edited by 2Cruise4Ever

Cruising is not for everyone, but don't take this thread as the be-all and end-all of cruise experiences.

I do not like large crowds, but love cruising. I choose not to cruise when school is out of session, and therefore see fewer young people on my cruises. I prefer cooler weather, so have only cruised to Alaska; therefore no manic pool area scenes. My husband and I don't like having to dress up for dinner, be told where and when and with whom to have dinner, so I choose NCL for their Freestyle Cruising. Some cruise lines are known as "party 24-7" lines, so avoid them. There are some known as more geared towards retired people; I haven't tried them, but would not rule them out (I just love NCL, so have not found a reason to check out another cruise line.)

Last cruise I only ate in an up-charge restaurant one time, as part of the Anniversary Package. I have never had more than a 5-minute wait for a table in any restaurant, and have always found the food to be above my expectations.

I like not having to have cash on the ship, but only put my room card in my back pocket and use it for everything: room key and "charge card." I have often found quiet areas on the ship, the library on a sunny afternoon is cozy, and the card room (on the ships that still have them, I hear that is changing) usually empty.

Having a balcony or above category assures you a quiet place to sit outside and not have to fight for a lounge chair. There is something for everyone on a cruise, the work comes prior to booking, reading boards like this to find out what you want to avoid or include in your experience. I have learned about the spa and have gotten a spa pass my last two cruises and would start out 6 out of 7 days there, relaxing, relaxing, relaxing. I consider the spa a truly "secret place." Not that many people get the pass, and I love that there are always fewer than a dozen people there when I visit.

I have gotten to see areas I would not have been able to if not for cruising. Most memorable is Glacier Bay, Alaska.

Please don't let this one thread turn you off to cruising altogether. Just have patience, read on, and learn more before making that decision.

Besides carrying around hand sanitizer, I also take lysol wipes (for the cabin or hotel room) and anti-bacterial hand wipes in my carry-on.

Love those WISPS!! They are the best thing for traveling away from your (hotel/cabin) room...small discreet little disposable toothbrushes with a dab of toothpaste. Now, I don't need to be taking my toothbrush and toothpaste to port with me. :)

Don't forget nail clippers and tweezers either!

Edited by romanroxy

Forget my post......I wrote it....submitted it by accident...unfinished.......needed to finish it and edit it.....and my 15 minutes timed out....so what would have been an erudite post is now lost and sits as incomplete and not what I wanted.

I won't bother again.....I am a writer of prose and the prose, which would have seemed to make much more sense, is now escaped from it's prison and is lost to me.

This is most frustrating. :mad::mad::mad:

So much for the prose. We heard enough, believe me.:p

It seems that these cruises are more expensive, than one would think. I'm beginning to realise that, there is more and more expense piled on to one, once is at sea. I am not clear in my understanding about the food one may eat. Is that all an extra, which one has to pay for, or is it included in the fee you pay for cabin and being taken across the waves?

Also people talk of tipping all and sundry. Why? I know that the custom is, in the States to tip people, but heck, these people are getting paid to do their job. They don't have to work on a cruise ship.

If you get paid for doing a job, you should not expect tips. If the person isn't earning enough, then a company should pay them more.

Your profile does not say where you are from. However, if you are from the US with your attitude on tipping, I would certainly not want to be your wait person at a restaurant. Also, you would not want to have me wait on you a 2nd time.

DON

Your profile does not say where you are from. However, if you are from the US with your attitude on tipping, I would certainly not want to be your wait person at a restaurant. Also, you would not want to have me wait on you a 2nd time.

DON

I am a server and have been for 30 years and unfortunately that attitude is still around...even in this day and age where most people know that some jobs are not covered by minumum wage...and don't care..they always think that the owner should make up the difference..but, that would put most(all) restaurants out of business and then they'd complain there are no restaurants or servers:(

Well, this isn't something to bring, but a comon mistake first timers make is to not review the Cruise Compass left in your room every night. It details the activities for the next day.

Ziplock bags. Good for a lot of things, and will keep your money/cards dry if you get in the water.

Photocopy of your passport, cards, drivers license, etc. If you loose them, having the numbers will really help in getting them cancelled or replaced quickly.