Transatlantic airfare...any suggestion

susanc1018

[quote name='Shak']I am not going to argue that cruise air is better than a regular ticket but [B]there should be a point when the price makes the risk of cruise air or the use of consolidators more tolerable.[/B] What price difference in airfares would you consider using cruise air?[/quote]
Absolutely correct. Guess what....life is one continuing series of cost/benefit, risk-evaluation decisions. And sometimes, the benefit does outweigh the risks.

What I, and a number of other posters, focus on is the acceptance of the cruiseline air "benefit" without a recognition of the risks. Do you wear both suspenders and a belt? Or are you the kind that hits a number at roulette (37-1 odds) and says "Let it ride"? Or, worst of all, are you the kind that never looks to find out just what the free lunch costs?

I will never quibble with someone who buys cruiseline air [B]with both eyes open[/B] and [B]with full knowledge[/B] of what they are purchasing. Those purchasers know what they are getting - and if it goes pear-shaped, they know how SOL they are. It's those who buy on price, then complain when problems occur, that earn my disdain.

So, if you have evaluated that the risks are outweighed by benefits, and that you can/will live with the consequences of your choices -- go for it. Everyone will have their own "tipping point"....mine just happens to be less focused on saving a few bucks and more towards value.

[quote name='kenish']It seems like we are in agreement, the difference is I'd be interested in mitigating the risk while you're willing to assume it as long as the potential loss is insured. Although it's true the risk is low enough that TI companies cover cruise air, the counterpoint is the risk is high enough for CC to publish their article. Do you think they would put out caveats about their advertisers' product if the problem were miniscule? By the way read the TI policy before purchasing because a few do not cover consolidator or group travel. The CC article cites a recent thread on this board that's a good read....a tighly scheduled, high-risk cruise air itenerary.

Of course only you can decide the risk/cost tradeoff. I would look at how much of the cruise you will miss if you miss the ship. If the next port is the next day and reachable by train or air that's a lot less risky than a TA cruise (miss the ship = miss the cruise).

Sounds like TA flights in the fall are not too risky; of course you won't know the routing or flight times. For example if you're ticketed into JFK (big delays due to runway construction) with 2 hours to connect to a TA flight out of EWR then the risk goes up considerably.[/quote]

I have re read the CC article you are talking about and what I got out of it is that they accurately point out many myths people have about cruise air and what to expect if travel delays do happen. With that information and information from these threads I am prepared to accepts the added risks.

I looked at my trip insurance and it does not mention air consolidator tickets.

Shak

[quote name='FlyerTalker']Absolutely correct. Guess what....life is one continuing series of cost/benefit, risk-evaluation decisions. And sometimes, the benefit does outweigh the risks.

What I, and a number of other posters, focus on is the acceptance of the cruiseline air "benefit" without a recognition of the risks. Do you wear both suspenders and a belt? Or are you the kind that hits a number at roulette (37-1 odds) and says "Let it ride"? Or, worst of all, are you the kind that never looks to find out just what the free lunch costs?

I will never quibble with someone who buys cruiseline air [B]with both eyes open[/B] and [B]with full knowledge[/B] of what they are purchasing. Those purchasers know what they are getting - and if it goes pear-shaped, they know how SOL they are. It's those who buy on price, then complain when problems occur, that earn my disdain.

So, if you have evaluated that the risks are outweighed by benefits, and that you can/will live with the consequences of your choices -- go for it. Everyone will have their own "tipping point"....mine just happens to be less focused on saving a few bucks and more towards value.[/quote]

What is your "tipping point"?

Shak

Don't even bother arguing about this. I vaguely remember Great Am had a child who got messed up by cruise air flights and there is a lot of resentment there.

I do agree that it should be an option. I prefer not using it as often there are better fares, but do agree with you that sometimes it is a good option and sometimes the fares offered are very good. There is never a pat answer to this. During heavily travelled holiday periods, I've seen cruises put on charter air so people could get to the cruises. For those people, it was either pay very high holiday fares, stay home or have reasonably priced air as an option.

As you said, millions of people have used it. It's only those who may have problems that you hear about it. With the severe weather problems that occurred the past few months, I've seen people with regular coach and first class fare get messed up too.

Never a pat answer ....

[quote name='Shak']What is your "tipping point"?[/quote]
Completely depends on the nature of the flights involved. If I have a long cruise (say SIN-VCE) where traditional flights won't work at a reasonable cost, I'll consider it. When the cruiseline air includes a charter into a remote area (such as Ushuaia), I'll consider it. But there is no set dollar number....no hard and fast "rule", as each situation is a distinct and separate cost/benefit decision. And the C/B equation is different for all people.

Perhaps it is my academic and business training that puts me into this mindset, perhaps it's just my personal nature. It's all part of basic classical economics. If I was in charge, I'd make sure that every student got exposure to the principle of economic scarcity....that there are finite limits and there should be a rational allocation of resources on C/B lines.

I know you wish I would be more black and white, but that's part of the challenge. It's a thinking exercise, with everyone's value assessments being different. The joys of market economy. OTOH, we could always have central planning, and spare everyone the thought process. ;)

[quote name='alidor']Don't even bother arguing about this. I vaguely remember Great Am had a child who got messed up by cruise air flights and there is a lot of resentment there.[/quote]
Low blow.

Greatam presents facts - often "ugly" truths that many want to avoid with their heads in the sand. If there was a personal incident in the past, I'd say that would merely reinforce those facts. Greatam doesn't come here with a chip on her shoulder to push a personal agenda. And any regular should attest to that.

If anyone can show an error in facts, I think we all can agree to having the most accurate info possible. But to impugn the motives behind good solid advice is attacking the messenger, not the content.

[quote name='FlyerTalker']Completely depends on the nature of the flights involved. If I have a long cruise (say SIN-VCE) where traditional flights won't work at a reasonable cost, I'll consider it. When the cruiseline air includes a charter into a remote area (such as Ushuaia), I'll consider it. But there is no set dollar number....no hard and fast "rule", as each situation is a distinct and separate cost/benefit decision. And the C/B equation is different for all people.

Perhaps it is my academic and business training that puts me into this mindset, perhaps it's just my personal nature. It's all part of basic classical economics. If I was in charge, I'd make sure that every student got exposure to the principle of economic scarcity....that there are finite limits and there should be a rational allocation of resources on C/B lines.

I know you wish I would be more black and white, but that's part of the challenge. It's a thinking exercise, with everyone's value assessments being different. The joys of market economy. OTOH, we could always have central planning, and spare everyone the thought process. ;)[/quote]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Come on FlyerTalker take the plunge and tell me if you were in my shoes and faced with regular airfare of over $1500 and cruise air of $800 you would not take cruise air. That is each by the way.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Shak[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Shak'][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Come on FlyerTalker take the plunge and tell me if you were in my shoes and faced with regular airfare of over $1500 and cruise air of $800 you would not take cruise air. That is each by the way.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Shak[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Since we have no idea where you are flying TO, it makes it a little difficult. But here is pricing to Barcelona this fall (London is about the same, Rome slightly higher)

TRUE one way tickets-

From Cleveland-On LOT (Polish airlines)-$668 with a nice little overnight in Warsaw if you want a little pizzaz and an extra adventure in your trip. LOT used to be REALLY bad. Part of Star Alliance-they have improved CONSIDERABLY. The wine and booze flows freely and I have heard from a business associate that the meals are really, really good (for airline food)

From Cleveland-United/AA/US Air/CO to Chicago-$99.00 AerLingus to Dublin and on to Barcelona-$680.30 TOTAL

RT tickets-throw the return away or book another TA cruise
From Cleveland-lots of options from many many airlines-CO, US Air, Air Canada, Lufthansa, TAP (Portugal airline)-some of these may be codeshares but all slightly under $800.00

There are at least 10 options for self booked tickets, published fare tickets UNDER $800.00.

NOW would you like to let us know where you are flying to and from???

[quote name='FlyerTalker']Low blow.

Greatam presents facts - often "ugly" truths that many want to avoid with their heads in the sand. If there was a personal incident in the past, I'd say that would merely reinforce those facts. Greatam doesn't come here with a chip on her shoulder to push a personal agenda. And any regular should attest to that.

If anyone can show an error in facts, I think we all can agree to having the most accurate info possible. But to impugn the motives behind good solid advice is attacking the messenger, not the content.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

And there was a personal incident-BEGGED the kids NOT to book cruise air for their wedding cruise to Hawaii. But a TA in Cedar Rapids Iowa convinced them that cruise air "guaranteed" to get them to the cruise. Neither one of them has flown much and so they bought the "guarantee".

Yes, they got there-2.5 days late, missed the special helicopter trip we bought them for a wedding present plus a lot of money spent for hotels, food, rental car and NUMEROUS trips to LAX trying to get on a plane. They were stuck with United and once the cruise left Honolulu the first night, getting to another island ON UNITED was a MAJOR problem. Norwegian wouldn't even let them fly to Honolulu and PAY for a ticket to Kauai or Maui. Last cruise they will ever go on.

No ulterior "motives" involved - just a personal experience that would color how one feels about the topic. Like the OP first stated, they've used it a number of times as well as thousands of others. And, as I stated, I prefer not to use it, but it can be an attractive option[I] [U]at times[/U].[/I]

[quote name='alidor']No ulterior "motives" involved - just a personal experience that would color how one feels about the topic. Like the OP first stated, they've used it a number of times as well as thousands of others. And, as I stated, I prefer not to use it, but it can be an attractive option[I] [U]at times[/U].[/I][/QUOTE]

As you and I have explored previously, I deal with the airlines every day of the year on a much deeper level than cruisers who book a few airline tickets a year. Personal experience had NOTHING to do with what the kids got themselves into or my feeling about cruise air. My knowledge of the situation was why I begged them not to book cruise air. A cruise to Hawaii in winter leaving from Cedar Rapids Iowa can have all kinds of problems. Cruise air just makes any problems that occur much, much worse.

Cruise air is truly a BAD deal if there is a glitch in air travel. There is LITTLE the average traveler can do to recoup on a lot of cruises with cruise air tickets. This was GLARINGLY pointed out with the recent Star Princess, March 2, South America cruise.

We both deal with travel at different levels - you with yours and me with mine and we both have years of experience at it. We just see things from different perspectives. I guess that's the point of this board to give different opinions to people who don't travel very much.

[quote name='jtutak'][SIZE=3][B]Greatam[/B][/SIZE], the only point I am trying to make is [B]Sometimes[/B] you are Better with cruise air.[/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I agree!!!! Depends on where and when you going. I have not had any problems when taking cruise air. In many cases it was cheaper than I could get and never had a bad routing. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The worse I had was Copenhagen to Paris and then direct to LAX and layover in Paris could have been about half an hour longer. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I have found that many of the cruise air (both ocean and river ) that involve non round trip from the same port are cheaper than what you can get my making your own air. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Donray'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I agree!!!! Depends on where and when you going. I have not had any problems when taking cruise air. In many cases it was cheaper than I could get and never had a bad routing. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The worse I had was Copenhagen to Paris and then direct to LAX and layover in Paris could have been about half an hour longer. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I have found that many of the cruise air (both ocean and river ) that involve non round trip from the same port are cheaper than what you can get my making your own air. [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

CHEAPER, CHEAPER, CHEAPER. The theme for most on this forum. There is a whole lot more to an airline ticket than PRICE. While there are NO guarantees that ANY ticket will get you to your destination on time if there are problems, I will certainly take my chances with a self booked, published fare ticket over a cruise air ticket any day. Even if the cruise air ticket was 100's of dollars cheaper, it does you absolutely NO GOOD if your connecting airport is shutdown due to weather, airport glitch or FAA glitch. You are STUCK!! I meanwhile, have rerouted my ticket through an open airport and WILL arrive on time (or close to it). You don't have that opportunity.

You need to study how to get CHEAPER tickets. It is the RARE occasion that you cannot find comparable or cheaper with self booked tickets. And you have all the benefits of a published fare ticket.

As I pointed out to Shak, at least 10 options for self booked, published fare tickets UNDER the cruise line price, a couple of them $120 or more under. All on regularly scheduled airlines with the same amount of connections (or less) than on a cruise air ticket (Cleveland is NOT a major international gateway nor is Akron/Canton).

[quote name='greatam']CHEAPER, CHEAPER, CHEAPER. The theme for most on this forum. There is a whole lot more to an airline ticket than PRICE. While there are NO guarantees that ANY ticket will get you to your destination on time if there are problems, I will certainly take my chances with a self booked, published fare ticket over a cruise air ticket any day. Even if the cruise air ticket was 100's of dollars cheaper, it does you absolutely NO GOOD if your connecting airport is shutdown due to weather, airport glitch or FAA glitch. You are STUCK!! I meanwhile, have rerouted my ticket through an open airport and WILL arrive on time (or close to it). You don't have that opportunity.

You need to study how to get CHEAPER tickets. It is the RARE occasion that you cannot find comparable or cheaper with self booked tickets. And you have all the benefits of a published fare ticket.

As I pointed out to Shak, at least 10 options for self booked, published fare tickets UNDER the cruise line price, a couple of them $120 or more under. All on regularly scheduled airlines with the same amount of connections (or less) than on a cruise air ticket (Cleveland is NOT a major international gateway nor is Akron/Canton).[/quote]

That Polish Air gives a new meaning to meaning of a "long layover". That flight leaves on Wed and arrives Fri with a 21 hour layover in Warsaw but you are right it is cheaper.

Thanks for looking for me.

Shak

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I’ll finally jump into the debate with both feet (look out below:eek:…lol).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Those that have written that they have used cruise air many times and had no problems is great for you and I hope you have continued success. But I have had personal experience when one time things went real wrong with cruise air. I think those of us with that kind of experience only try to share what went wrong and why we would never put ourselves in that situation again (and I mean never).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I have to say I agree 100% with what greatam (and others) have been trying to communicate. Cheap air is not the only thing I look at anymore. I mean there is nothing wrong with anyone trying to get a good/great deal of any kind and I try to do it myself with many items, trips, etc. But maybe this is one of those issues that people don’t understand unless they are literally left stranded somewhere and missing a special cruise (or any special event) and find themselves totally powerless finding a solution to the problem.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Don’t be fooled about the risk involved saving several hundred dollars. And I really hope those that have read this thread and many other experiences try to understand that buying cruise air does not mean the cruise line will watch your back, make the best flights/connections for you, and have their loyalty with you rather than the company that signs their paychecks. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]John[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='AZjohn'][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I’ll finally jump into the debate with both feet (look out below:eek:…lol).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Those that have written that they have used cruise air many times and had no problems is great for you and I hope you have continued success. But I have had personal experience when one time things went real wrong with cruise air. I think those of us with that kind of experience only try to share what went wrong and why we would never put ourselves in that situation again (and I mean never).[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I have to say I agree 100% with what greatam (and others) have been trying to communicate. Cheap air is not the only thing I look at anymore. I mean there is nothing wrong with anyone trying to get a good/great deal of any kind and I try to do it myself with many items, trips, etc. But maybe this is one of those issues that people don’t understand unless they are literally left stranded somewhere and missing a special cruise (or any special event) and find themselves totally powerless finding a solution to the problem.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Don’t be fooled about the risk involved saving several hundred dollars. And I really hope those that have read this thread and many other experiences try to understand that buying cruise air does not mean the cruise line will watch your back, make the best flights/connections for you, and have their loyalty with you rather than the company that signs their paychecks. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]John[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]What you are saying is that 100% of the time it is never a good idea to even consider cruise air? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]So, AMA is offering free air and you are suggesting that you should never go with this type of deal? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://rivers.affordabletours.com/River_Promotion/223/[/URL]

[quote name='Donray'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]What you are saying is that 100% of the time it is never a good idea to even consider cruise air? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]So, AMA is offering free air and you are suggesting that you should never go with this type of deal? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL]http://rivers.affordabletours.com/River_Promotion/223/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Again, all you focused on is price.

The base fare on the FREE tickets is something in the neighborhood of $450.00 (Budapest/Prague). YOU pay the taxes and fuel surcharge (read the fine print)-about $400.00. AND they are only FREE from JFK. So you must get to JFK on your own or pay the travel agency a whopping amount to get there (they MAY have restrictions that you have to use THEIR air to get to JFK). Have you checked the price of the river cruise with other agencies? Can the same trip be booked for the prices in the flyer less $450.00?

An example: Self booked, published fare tickets on BA from JFK is in the neighborhood of $850 (of course, depending on season).

Self booked, published fare tickets on Lufthansa RT from LAX are $995.00. NO WAY, no how are you going to fly RT LAX/JFK for $145.00 (I fly the route almost monthly)

Can you see if you only focus on the money that the FREE tickets are not quite the deal they seem to be. And that doesn't bring into play all the other downsides of cruise air

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][quote name='greatam']Again, all you focused on is price.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]The base fare on the FREE tickets is something in the neighborhood of $450.00 (Budapest/Prague). YOU pay the taxes and fuel surcharge (read the fine print)-about $400.00. AND they are only FREE from JFK. So you must get to JFK on your own or pay the travel agency a whopping amount to get there (they MAY have restrictions that you have to use THEIR air to get to JFK). Have you checked the price of the river cruise with other agencies? Can the same trip be booked for the prices in the flyer less $450.00?[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]An example: Self booked, published fare tickets on BA from JFK is in the neighborhood of $850 (of course, depending on season).[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Self booked, published fare tickets on Lufthansa RT from LAX are $995.00. NO WAY, no how are you going to fly RT LAX/JFK for $145.00 (I fly the route almost monthly)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Can you see if you only focus on the money that the FREE tickets are not quite the deal they seem to be. And that doesn't bring into play all the other downsides of cruise air[/quote][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I am not focused on price, but you seem to bring up price all the time. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I agree with you that Southwest and Jet Blue should not be taken because of price and the tickets are not good on other airlines. Why are you so hung up on price? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I don't know what your rambling is about LAX to East coast. When I flew with AMA free air it was LAX to Heathrow to Budapest on BA. Could not begin to get a better price or as you are concerned a better routing. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]You don't understand that anyone that says never use cruise air is as ignorant as the people say they always use cruise air. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I would not use cruise within the USA except if I were to fly to Hawaii. It is hard to get a bad routing to HI from LAX. So, if the price is good I see nothings wrong with cruise air to Hi. Tell me again why you would have a problem with cruise air from LAX to Hi? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Since you don't care about price, why would suggest that people check the price for other river cruises when I think AMA is top of the line? [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]You seem to missing the point that it is stupid for someone to say the cruise air is ALWAYS bad and you should never take it. That is WRONG and one should evaluate all options. I think the cruise air when near a major airport like LAX can be very good and I have never had a bad routing when choosing cruise air for foreign ports or Hi. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have taken three cruises in French Polynesia and in every case the cruise air was excellent and believe it or not non stop between LAX and Tahiti. And since I know how to check air fare costs it was also cheaper (I know you don't believe in taking the cheapest airfare). [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I just don't understand why you don't think that cruise is EVER a good deal. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Donray'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I would not use cruise within the USA except if I were to fly to Hawaii. It is hard to get a bad routing to HI from LAX. So, if the price is good I see nothings wrong with cruise air to Hi. Tell me again why you would have a problem with cruise air from LAX to Hi?[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]*Snip*[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I have taken three cruises in French Polynesia and in every case the cruise air was excellent and believe it or not non stop between LAX and Tahiti. And since I know how to check air fare costs it was also cheaper (I know you don't believe in taking the cheapest airfare).[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The issue with Cruise Air is not the [I]routing[/I], but the restrictive nature of the plane tickets, which are usually consolidator tickets (btw, if you read back, you'll find that the disastrous time Greatam's kid had with cruise air was to Hawaii).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]A for instance: for my last cruise, I had Aeroplan FF tickets whose routing was convoluted to say the least: YQB-YYZ on Air Canada, then YYZ-PHL-FLL on US Air. Once we arrived at YYZ, I glanced at the board and saw that our YYZ-PHL flight was cancelled, due to PHL being closed because of high winds. Quickly went to the AC desk, and 10 minutes later had 3 tickets on a YYZ-MIA flight on AC. Had we been on cruise air, we would have needed to keep our original routing, waiting for the next US Air flight to PHL (when it reopened), and then gotten a flight to FLL. While we were flying in 3 days before the cruise, had this been the day before, we might have had serious time issues.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Cruise air is fine, if nothing goes wrong. But if something does, that's when you're stuck. And I've had enough issues with flights to not want to take that risk, ever.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Maybe we can all agree that sometimes Cruise Air works out just fine - other times, it is disastrous or stressful or frustrating, etc... It is not convenient routing generally, that's a fact, but sometimes it must work out fine.

Unfortunately I do think the real problem is the inflexibility of the tickets that puts a big nail in the coffin. Thankfully for me I did not book cruise air - it was over $600/person RT SFO-MIA :eek: while I got ours for $225/person RT SFO-FLL :cool:

I have experience with really bad flights, but not due to cruise air, due to United's Mileage program. We went from SFO-ORD with a 6 hour layover waiting for an ORD-FRA flight - this was not terrible, but the way back was hardly optimal... We went FRA-MON-LAX-SFO. Yep we went through customs and security 3 different times in 3 different countries in less than 24 hours. To add insult to injury our flight from LAX-SFO was canceled (better than the 4hour delay they listed it as haha) and with some struggle, I got us onto the next flight to SFO. :p

[quote name='Donray'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]What you are saying is that 100% of the time it is never a good idea to even consider cruise air? [/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]
What I said (and will try and re-phrase it to maybe communicate better) Is that when cruise air goes bad, it can really get very-very bad. I also said that there are those (and this might include you) that have used cruise air before and had no problems. This is great and I'm truly happy for you and others and hope you continue your good luck. But when (you notice I'm not using the word "if") things go wrong you will not have the cruise line or your insurance company bail you out trying to get to the ship.
I'm I explaining this so you understand what I am trying to say?

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][quote name='Donray']So, AMA is offering free air and you are suggesting that you should never go with this type of deal? [/quote][/FONT][/COLOR][quote name='Donray']

I guess other's have posted already about the real meaning of "free" ticket (BTW, nothing is free... cost are just wrapped in the bottom line fee). And the above reply will hold exactly true for your "free" (plus $$$$) ticket.

I'm not telling you or anyone else what to do or what not to do. And again, if you haven't got stuck yet then keep riding that hourse until he stops. But I personally had that real bad experiance that I never-ever want to experiance again so I will never purchase cruise air again (I think that is what I wrote on my other post).
John

Okay, I guess you've all convinced me not to use RCI's air for our Transatlantic from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

We live near Philly, and not far from Newark, so we have both of those options. When pricing RT (I'll just throw away the return ticket) from Newark to Barcelona, we can get RT tix (of course, I'm pricing for this October, when it's actually NEXT October I'll need them, but just for comparison sake I'm using this October) for under $700/pp, and those are nonstop flights. I can hop a flight on Spirit from FLL to Atlantic City that time of year for cheap! So I guess, although I've right now got air included on our reservation ($679 plus $62 tax and fees) with RCI, I'll just keep it there for the time being in case air gets crazy expensive. We'd do air deviation since we want to arrive two days precruise, but it sounds like you've all convinced me to do air on our own.

We can "what if" until the cows come home. What if I am still alive, what if there is a natural disaster, what if there is a storm, and on and on. What I would like to know of the millions of travelers each year that travel cruise air or buy consolidator tickets have problems with their connections. So far no one has an answer to that question.

As far as problems goes we all we can do is prepare ourselves with adequate insurance weather we have cruise air or not.

Shak

Archived