Victory Review 2/21....w/PICS

newt98

Hi there Mike. I am thoroughly loving your review and as always you have such awesome photos! You inspired me to go to the Mayan Princess at Roatan Island on our Valor cruise! Now you have done it again and I'm itching to go on the Victory!

Can't wait for more!

i saw that in your review. the mayan was a great choice.

O well that puts a damper on it then. I thought I had read soemwhere it had rum in it. I was going to order one, dunno about that now....:D Maybe I can request some alcohol be added:confused:

Order a "Mudslide". They taste like a chocolate milkshake and have booze in them.

Order a "Mudslide". They taste like a chocolate milkshake and have booze in them.

That mocha chocolate getaway ROCKS!!! (except when it's 39 degrees and 25 mph winds at sailaway:rolleyes:) But I may just have to try the hurricane twist in May or tell DW it has whipped cream on top then sip hers.:)

our last stop was the black sand beach, and as soon as we got there you could smell the gonja. this beach would not be mistaken for the french riviera, lol. but it was o.k. when we got out of the bus, we all had to decide what time to meet the driver to head back. the trip takes 30-40 minutes, and we had to be back on the ship at 4:30, for a 5:00 departure. the canadian says, how about 4:00. yea right! are you serious? the rest of us overrule her and we settle on 3:30. it was about 2:00. once we got out to the beach, there really wasn't much to do but take some pics and sit on our towels, so we were bored kind of fast. we looked around and everybody from the tour was just standing around in the shade waiting for 3:30, except for the grump canadian, lol. she was laid out with her top off reading a book. it was kind of funny.

we decided to pick up our stuff and head over to where most of the group was at about 3:00. everybody was ready to go except for the grumpy couple. well one of the ladies was like, screw it, i'm gonna tell her were leaving! the rest of us kind of hid behind the tree to see what would happen. the canadian stood up with her top off and smacked the lady with her book. ok, not really, she just kind of laid there and acted like she was ignoring her. but then after about five minutes she got up and we all got on the bus. we then headed back to the ship and tried to do a bit of shopping, but there wasn't really much shopping to be done, so we promptly got on the ship.

a block or two from the ship

x20vao.jpg

as we were walking on the pier

z3a4k.jpg

always a good site to see at the end of the day

2z4e69i.jpg

back on the ship with some drinks

250ox8m.jpg

showing off our drinks!

6qy8up.jpg

What are the two drinks that you are showing off???

:cool:Bill

DAY 3, BARBADOS

got up again right on time with the deck chairs, i guess i should be more thankful. our plan for the day would be to grab a cab mark and heidi from the roll call and head to accra/ rockley beach for some snorkeling and beach time. then we would walk back on the boardwalk to the hilton, where we would grab a cab back to the ship. the boardwalk was supposedly about a mile along the beach.

well i get my fench toast and ham again, cause that's the only thing i really like at the buffet, but i am somewhat picky though. then we finish getting ready and walk off of the ship. as soon as you get off of the ship there are buses that take you to the the port area because the pier is a tad long, but you can walk if you so choose. there are alot of buses, so you don't have to wait at all, it moves pretty good.

so we get to the port area, and you walk through their shopping area before you get to taxis. once outside there are many taxis waiting to fight over you, but it's nice and clean, and somewhat organized. you can walk past this area and just head towards town if you like. once you leave this port area, there are more taxis waiting outside the gate. i don't know the difference between the taxis outside the gate or inside the gate.

so we get in a cab, and of course they have to wait until more people fill it up. four more people get in, and we head off. barbados appears to have more money than alot of the places that we've seen so far, or at least they find a better way to spend it.

anyways, we assume the four that got in the cab were headed to the beach also, wrong. we are driving through town, and our taxi stops on the side of the street by a dirty alley with a guy standing there waiting for us. well after we stop, the driver comes over and tells the four that this guy will be there tour guide. apparently they were going on an island tour and assumed that's what all of us were doing. they seemed a bit shocked when they were told to get out in the middle of town and go with this random guy. i was glad i wasnt them. so as we are driving off, we see them getting into a a small toyota camry, four of them pl;us the driver, three in back, one up front with driver, so know what you're getting into before you do it.

we continued on our way and ended up at rockley beach, it's also called accra because there is a hotel there called accra, i think. but we tell the driver to pick us up at the hilton at three, and he gives us this funny look. i'm like, we're walking the boardwalk to the hilton, and he's like, it don't go there idiot, that's not what he said,but that's what he was thinking. and i'm like, don't worry, i know what the hell i'm doing, i've been on cruise critic! well, he ends up telling us where to meet him in the off chance it doesnt work out. time for some pics though.

my pics didnt come out good today, i had some settings screwed up.

the dw at rockley

ie4as3.jpg

standing behind the lifeguard station at rockley

mlmvds.jpg

some of the shops at rockley

34xhlow.jpg

one of these rents flippers, but sells the mask and snorkel

2enq6vq.jpg

up from the beach a bit

k4vyvt.jpg

so the driver gives us directions to a spot he can pick us up by the hilton, and we head down to the beach. it is kind of crowded there, but if you head left once you get to the water, there is a bar/restaurant down that way, i think it's called the k'nai. anyways, it has chairs and umbrellas for rent, but whatever you rent the chairs for, you can redeem that amount at their bar. plus they have a seating area with tables. we headed down there, and it was not crowded at all.

my plan was to go snorkeling out the reef, but the waves were coming in pretty hard. but i chose to try it anyways. there was more than one time that i windered if i had made the right decision to go out there, but i think i can handle it, i am tough right? some would say stupid. well i did make it out there, but the reef was about five feet in front of me, and i could not see it underwater, and the waves were still throwing me around out there, so i turned back once i got out there, it was actually a bit scary being out there as bad as it was. but i'm tough(stupid) so i gave it a try.

once that didnt work out i got some beer from the bar, then got some beer from the bar, then got some beer from the bar, you get the point?

after playing in the waves and buying a couple things at the little shops we started to head back down the boardwalk to the hilton, like it says you can do here, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1138669&highlight=boardwalk

so we walk, and get some nice pics, and are having a great time. then the boardwalk ends. and there are rocks, and about four feet deep seas to cross if we want to keep going. well this isn't what i read on cruise critic. i have learned a wealth of information on this site, this was not the case here. and the worst thing is, i brought mark and heidi with me on this. so we're looking around, trying to figure out how in the hell to get to the hilton now. so we end up getting back up to the street and start walking the way the driver told us too, you know the guy that thinks i'm an idiot?

it's like 100 degrees out and we're walking through town with buses passing so closely that you had to be very careful. we were told to pass the racetrack, go down the hill, turn left at the gas station, then go to the turnout. well i sure as hell didnt remember passing a racetrack, but after what seemed like an hour, there it was. i was trying to gauge how pissed off mark and heidi were, but they both had a good time, as did we, that's part of what makes great memories. so we end up finally getting to the hilton to wait for our driver in this tiny spot of shade.

taxis keep driving by asking us if we wanted a ride, but our driver didnt collect from us when he dropped us, we would collect after he picke dus up. and because mark and heidi are canadian, they made us wait for our guy, lol. he was supposed to meet us at three, and i said if he didnt make it by 3:05, i'm taking the first taxi i see. well he made it at 3:06, and i asked him how in the hell could he let us do that?

this is what you see when you first get to rockley

9sfk49.jpg

more beach people

5n7i4h.jpg

rockley beach

29xwtgp.jpg

the waves crashing

iq8myw.jpg

headed towards the boardwalk

2lmnu60.jpg

" i was trying to gauge how pissed off mark and heidi were, but they both had a good time, as did we, that's part of what makes great memories"

Gee Mike,

Mark and Heidi had a different view at dinner that night. They were discussing the wisdom in taking advice from Americans versus listening to the local cab driver :D I do not think they were using "tough" to describe you :rolleyes:

Just kidding, nice pictures.

Steve

Loving your review so far Mike. It's as if DW and I were there again. Can't wait to go another:D.

hey hugo, hows it going down there? you got another one planned yet?

hey Mike there is my balcony

Joan

we could see you and ken when we were coming in

Thanks Mike, I'm taking notes and I'm loving your awesome photos! Many, many thanks for taking time to do this review:)

thanks!

" i was trying to gauge how pissed off mark and heidi were, but they both had a good time, as did we, that's part of what makes great memories"

Gee Mike,

Mark and Heidi had a different view at dinner that night. They were discussing the wisdom in taking advice from Americans versus listening to the local cab driver :D I do not think they were using "tough" to describe you :rolleyes:

Just kidding, nice pictures.

Steve

yea, they weren't really telling me how they really felt.

awesome review and fantastic pictures!!!

:cool:

thanks, we took over 2600, i am bound to get a few good ones in there.

Archived