What to do in Mazaltan?

We are thinking about taking the Mexican Riviera cruise at the end of May. I have done this before but I did not get off the ship in Mazatlan. What is the most exciting adventure one can do in Mazatlan? :rolleyes:

While in Mazatlan, DH & I always book a combo of services at the Aroma Spa (very easy to Google or go to the CC Mexican Riviera board for more info). It's about an $8.00 ride in an open air taxi from the pier. Please note that this spa is no-frills and decor and ambiance is bare minimal. But you will get hard working, friendly massage therapists who'll earnestly do a great job!! From here, you're also a short walk to an untouristy beach too. Enjoy!!

Hi, We went to the beach area called the golden zone (Zona Dorarda). It is a beach area with bars, restaurants,etc. There are also jet skis and parasailing ($30). We went to a hotel beach the was opposite the diamonds international store. ( small store). They had lounge chairs. They also had staff to wait on you. We had fresh chips ,salsa and guacomole and a bucket of coronas (5 beers) was $11 us. I know that there is an archealogical museum in town. I don't know if there are other things in town. You may have to do a tour otherwise. Hope it helps, David

Hi, thanks for the responses. We do enjoy massages, so I will take note of that and look into it. I will keep in mind too about the archelogical museum, since we like to visit museums when we can. Between the two it sounds like it could be a very fun filled day.

We took a water taxi to Stone Island last year. We played in the water and ate at one of the restaurants. We are trying to decide if we are going to do that again this year or check out the Golden Zone.

When returning to the Mazatlan pier from doing whatever you did, before walking through the gift shop area before getting back onboard there is a small place on the patio with umbrellas that has the best Margaritas and people watching..this is one of our favorite spots...Enjoy..:p

We love it there and go every time. Very relaxing, great reasonable food and drinks. Easy to get to from port just a short water taxi ride. Also - Randi's Happy Horses is a nice trip which included horsebackriding on stone island and lunch at Victors.

JJ 09 281

Chances are you'll encounter your fellow ship passengers at this spa. This place is well known around CC. But if the lack of amenities or decor is not a turn-off for you, you can be assured of a great value. On our Mex Riv cruise last month, I think DH had a 2.5 hour package that included, a 1.5 hour Deep Tissue massage plus an Aztec clay facial for only $57 USD and he tipped $10 because it was that good (and when it comes to deep tissue massages, DH is hard to please). Personally, I really like the sea salt scrub and foot massage. Enjoy!!

Wow, a 2 1/2 hour package for only $57 USD? That is a great deal, especially if they know what they are doing. Some people are just not too good at giving massages, while others can be fantastic. I have never had a foot massage, but it sure sounds tempting. I would imagine that the amenities and or decor may not be that fancy, but, sure is a lot cheaper than getting a massage on the ship itself.

I see that you did the Mexican Riviera two cruises in a row, you must have really liked it? It has been at least 5 years since I did that cruise, but my husband has never done it so we are looking at it to be our next one. We did Freedom of the Seas this past November, but, we don't get to the west coast too often, so this will be a nice change of pace.

Hello Nubble,

YES, we loved it!!

Of course any vacation from work is already off to a great start. LOL! And because we could be a short Southwest flight to LAX, I am thinking that Mariner's Mexican Riviera run will be our "go to" cruise for a last minute getaway from now on!! The Radiance was pretty great too, plus it called on Ixtapa and that is currently our favorite Mex Riv port after Cabo!!

BTW, in case you & your DH are interested, there's a 75 minutes Couple's Massage at the Millenium Spa (@ the Krystal Resort, which is on the beach and is about a 15 minutes walk from pier or around $12 by cab) for $105 in Puerto Vallarta!! Again, easily Google-able! I hope it'll work out perfectly for you guys!! Enjoy!

Another ease with Mexico is with the wide acceptance of US dollars, there's no need for currency exchange.

Hi Joyfulmarsh,

Ah, so true...anytime off from work is a great start to a vacation. Me and my husband were just talking about this vacation. He was hesitant to go because of the plane ride to LAX since we live in MA, but we finally decided we would. So, since this is so close for the two of you, this is going to be your quick get away cruise? Fantastic!

Thanks for all the helpful hints as to what we can do in this port and to everyone else too. We are counting down the weeks as to when we can go.

I guess the Mariner is now the ship to be used for the Mexican Riviera. We went on that ship in Nov 2008 when it was doing the Western Caribbean. But, any cruise is a great cruise, and we are very much looking forward to a possible massage and take in a musuem at Mazaltan!!

Archived