Carnival UK's Cruise Report

Single Cruiser

Has anyone else read this posted on P&Os site @ http://www.pocruises.com/pdf/CruiseReport2010.pdf

Some interesting, if not amusing comments on there..

One on fly-cruise versus ex-uk. It appears that of the 50% who prefer ex-UK they (over 30%) stated due to luggage restrictions. I've never had any problems with my 23KG allowance but then I realised of course I don't pack DJ/Tux/etc.. and I guess if you didn't have to pack the formal gear would that affect how many people who would not fly due to the "luggage restrictions".

It seems to steer towards the likes of Ventura fly-cruising in the Med from 2011. When do the Summer 2011 Itineraries get released?

The final bit that got me was on page 23 of the report and I quote:

We expect strong bookings for the year as we will be promoting

“the last chance to cruise with...” while, at the same time, we will

begin to promote (jointly with P&O Cruises) to past Ocean Village

passengers the options of cruises on Oceana and Ventura which

offer some aspects of a casual, relaxed style of cruising.

Other than the lack of semi-formal nights (which I think applies to most of the fleet when in the Caribbean?) what other aspects of casual cruising do Ventura and Oceana have over the other ships in the fleet??

The luggage restrictions are a tad low on flights, but I usually manage to pack my tux. This last cruise, my bag was 21.5kg so room to spare. I am sure if the weight per bag was increased to 25kg there would be no problem. I really though, don't understand baggage weight restrictions, especially when I weigh upwards of 120kg compared to a normal individual who would probably only weigh less than 60kg

Has anyone else read this posted on P&Os site @ http://www.pocruises.com/pdf/CruiseReport2010.pdf

One on fly-cruise versus ex-uk. It appears that of the 50% who prefer ex-UK they (over 30%) stated due to luggage restrictions. I've never had any problems with my 23KG allowance but then I realised of course I don't pack DJ/Tux/etc.. and I guess if you didn't have to pack the formal gear would that affect how many people who would not fly due to the "luggage restrictions".

It seems to steer towards the likes of Ventura fly-cruising in the Med from 2011. When do the Summer 2011 Itineraries get released?

Other than the lack of semi-formal nights (which I think applies to most of the fleet when in the Caribbean?) what other aspects of casual cruising do Ventura and Oceana have over the other ships in the fleet??

Freedom Dining.

Last year P&O produced a questionairre asking about many aspects of the cruising market. One block of questions was to ask about a 2 week fly/cruise Mediteranean holiday (I think it was from Barcelona to Istanbul). So they must be thinking about it.

Many P&O respondents seemed to be impressed by the thought of such an itinerary, so it will be interesting to see what (if anything) will come of it. I am one of the people who has no interest in sailing from Southampton since it offers no benefit (to us) except to waste part of our valuable holiday in the Bay of Biscay.

Craig, despite you not posting it on this board until after being egged on by others on the OV board to cause 'mayhem' .. I am considering that you have posted in an honest manner and I therefore respond in good faith (because I usually ignore trolls).

Craig, despite you not posting it on this board until after being egged on by others on the OV board to cause 'mayhem' .. I am considering that you have posted in an honest manner and I therefore respond in good faith (because I usually ignore trolls).

70px-BergenTroll2006.jpg Craig? ;)

I think it would be an added bonus to have the choice of a fly cruise with P&O. I also hope the choice doesnt then become restricted to only casual fly cruises. I'm not saying casual is wrong or "scutty" as some imply cos as far as I'm concerned each to their own. I just enjoy dressing up a bit cos you dont often get the opportunity to these days! A good cruise line surely is one that attempts to provide the most choice to all its customers. On our recent Caribbean cruise on Oceana we found 23kg allowance bearable and also the casual nights were fairly smart, more so than Med ones.

For me, the sailing out of Southampton down to the Med or elsewhere is a great chance to wind down from work, enjoy the ship before the tourist bit starts. I have no interest in flying to join a cruise. Having said that, I would have no difficult in the weight limit and that is with the tux for the other half and evening stuff.

For me, the sailing out of Southampton down to the Med or elsewhere is a great chance to wind down from work, enjoy the ship before the tourist bit starts. I have no interest in flying to join a cruise.
I appreciate that many like the freedom of sailing directly from SOuthampton but I think there is a growing call for one or possibly two of the ships to be based in the Med. It is good news all round because it offers more of a variety.
Having said that, I would have no difficult in the weight limit and that is with the tux for the other half and evening stuff.
AT times I really do wonder what people are packing. We did the 28 nighter On Oceana over Christmas and due to connecting flights were limited to 20kg for our hold luggage. It was a tight squeeze and we were about 1kg over but we still had loads of stuff that did not get worn.

P&O will go where the money is. If there is shown to be a demand for Fly/cruises to the med now OV has gone then im 100% sure they will do that...regardless of what Dai thinks.

Still can't see P&O filling there berths this year without heavy discounting (with the exception of Azura).

(tounge firmly wedged against cheek)

One could argue that your comment makes you the one attempting the mayhem ;)

Craig always posts reliable and honest information. He's passionate about something he loves :D

I try and post sensible posts.. Rosebaskets - I'll charge you for taking my picture :D

I had a similar conversation with the agent at Thomas Cook last week when I was upgrading to a suite on OV. I mentioned the old OV/P&O Fly/Casual debate.

She said it's the most common question she has when people are booking for Ventura this summer.

I mentioned the formal nights and the "ship-wide" - she said oh no, not what we are told to tell, we tell them you can eat in the buffet and don't have to dress up.

I just wish P&O would get it's act together and decide, I know the family are going to love their first cruise and I also know that shipwise and UK onboard and UK fly and mainly British would make Ventura ideal for 2011 if only.....

As said in the report they will be marketting Ventura and Oceana towards ex-OV but at the moment it's a no, on a 2-week cruise why should I confine myself to my cabin/buffet for nearly 25% of evenings..

If Only the £/$ ration would improve and then I'd probably book a nice single studio cabin on NCLs Epic! :)

Dont know if that'l be the case that P&O cant fill their berths cos we tried to book a cruise on Ventura for just after Christmas next year and its sold out. So booked to go on Oceana again at end of Feb2011 and even then couldnt get the actual cabin we wanted!

P&O will go where the money is. If there is shown to be a demand for Fly/cruises to the med now OV has gone then im 100% sure they will do that...regardless of what Dai thinks.

Still can't see P&O filling there berths this year without heavy discounting (with the exception of Azura).

Who says I think!!!!:mad:

BTW keep up Matty the bookings are going well and that will continue as I have been saying for some time.

Its all to do with the Euro. Land based hols are now far more expensive because you pay in euros for accommodation etc. With a P&O cruise you are paying in £'s. The difference is enough to attract the extra cruisers.

Simpels ,,,, as the meercat says.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Who says I think!!!!:mad:

You did! In one of your previous posts. I believe it was in a thread about casual wear on ventura or something on that. You replied to my post that P&O would never offer fly/cruises to the med.

I dont doubt the bookings are doing well at the moment. They must be for people to be prepared to pay through the roof to go on Azura. Ive been looking myself at what discounts there are and at the moment there is very little.

Craig,

I do not read

"It seems to steer towards the likes of Ventura fly-cruising in the Med from 2011." into any of the statistics shown as Carnival only account for 40% of UK passengers and therefore that would be the ones who like to cruise from a UK port. ie 50% of UK passengers.

Dai

You did! In one of your previous posts. I believe it was in a thread about casual wear on ventura or something on that. You replied to my post that P&O would never offer fly/cruises to the med.

I dont doubt the bookings are doing well at the moment. They must be for people to be prepared to pay through the roof to go on Azura. Ive been looking myself at what discounts there are and at the moment there is very little.

Matty,

Please re read my post. I never said I had not posted on this matter:rolleyes:

What I said then goes for now. Look at the report again. There is no mention or hint of European fly cruises.

Only hopeful thinking.

Dai

Craig,

I do not read

"It seems to steer towards the likes of Ventura fly-cruising in the Med from 2011." into any of the statistics shown as Carnival only account for 40% of UK passengers and therefore that would be the ones who like to cruise from a UK port. ie 50% of UK passengers.

Dai

The key bit to glue it all together is CCs interview on the report when it was released. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3722

But where? Is P&O Cruises going to start offering fly-cruising in the Med? Esdale continued: "I would not rule out fly-cruising. We are driven by profit and yield. We will base ships in Southampton as long as it is a profitable thing to do.

In the report it also explains Carnival UKs tie in with the various airlines and also improving its environmental impact and efficiency of the ships, slowing them down etc..

It will be very easy for P&O to "offset" their carbon emissions (which the EU will be clamping down on) to the airlines instead of steaming down from Southampton fortnightly. A recent article published in the Guardian showed that per passenger mile a cruise ship produces up to 7* more carbon than a plane per passenger mile.

The key bit to glue it all together is CCs interview on the report when it was released. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3722

But where? Is P&O Cruises going to start offering fly-cruising in the Med? Esdale continued: "I would not rule out fly-cruising. We are driven by profit and yield. We will base ships in Southampton as long as it is a profitable thing to do.

In the report it also explains Carnival UKs tie in with the various airlines and also improving its environmental impact and efficiency of the ships, slowing them down etc..

It will be very easy for P&O to "offset" their carbon emissions (which the EU will be clamping down on) to the airlines instead of steaming down from Southampton fortnightly. A recent article published in the Guardian showed that per passenger mile a cruise ship produces up to 7* more carbon than a plane per passenger mile.

Craig,

Refer back to the £/Euro balance. When the £ is low buy in the UK, when the Euro is low buy in Europe.

Perhaps in 5 years time.

Also remember Carnival have Costa in the Med offering what you are now suggesting.

Dai

Archived