Just off the Gem Today 3/6/10

This may sound like a silly question but......We are leaving on the Gem 3/20 and my kids immediately want to swim upon boarding the ship. Now everyone knows the air temperature in NY in March is not "optimal" swimming temp so....are the pools heated?

The pools are recycled sea water. NOT heated. First couple of days, there were a handful of very brave and very cold younsters using the pool, with more really using the hot tubs. For most people, the pools were only usable for 2 or 3 days.

This may sound like a silly question but......We are leaving on the Gem 3/20 and my kids immediately want to swim upon boarding the ship. Now everyone knows the air temperature in NY in March is not "optimal" swimming temp so....are the pools heated?

The pools were not heated. Although the temperatures were cold this year, this is not normal for Florida and the Bahamas. Of course, it can also rain while cruising - I 'd rather it be chilly than rainy!

Last year we sailed later in March, like you are doing. It was warm by the middle of Sunday and stayed hot after that until Friday morning so you had about 4 -5 days of outdoor pool use.

Congratulations on the upgrade! We were upsold at a great price from a AF to A4 courtyard villa 14014. The Courtyard is accessible to only about 18 cabins or so. This week there was a large group from the Montreal area of about 30 people including lots of children in the area. There were also other couples and families. Everyone kept a different schedule and was in the courtyard at different times, so it never felt crowded. In fact, my husband and I were at the pool by ourselves several times. There are always chairs available and the courtyard attendants keep it clean and neat. The hot tub is large and there was always space available. There is also a private outdoor deck that you access from inside the courtyard with lots of lounge chairs and bed-like chairs.

The weather was cold on our trip south and back north, so the courtyard added 3 extra days where we could go in the pool and lie in the sun. It is very warm in there with the rooftop closed. It was so serene and beautiful, you are going to love it! I miss it already :(

We normally sail in an AF minisuite on deck 11 towards the front. I don't get seasick either. I found the 14th deck to be fine in terms of motion. When I was on the 15th floor outdoor deck it was fine too. You are going to have the best time!!!! The level of service and comfort is unbeatable.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Can you tell me when you received the call for the upsell?

We also booked a AF Mini-Suite+inside and would like to pay additional for a suite (we are with 5 people). Although we need the bigger AB penthouse or A3 with separate bedroom...

We normally cruise Celebrity or RCCL and are looking forward to try NCL.

Thanks.

The upsell was 3 weeks before the cruise.

It seems to me that a lot of (american) cruisers are getting these upsells.

I will keep this in mind and wait..untill final payment 4weeks before departure. I booked direct with NCL Europe (I am dutch) and will contact them 4-3weeks before. I assume I can always try to make the request. You never know if the upsell fairy exsist in Europe ;)

Cruising, and the information available, is not so extended as in the USA. And not that popular either. This is likely to change in the following years.

I am happy with CC boards and learning everyday.

Thanks everyone for all the shared info.

twinsff

rotterdam, holland

It seems to me that a lot of (american) cruisers are getting these upsells.

I will keep this in mind and wait..untill final payment 4weeks before departure. I booked direct with NCL Europe (I am dutch) and will contact them 4-3weeks before. I assume I can always try to make the request. You never know if the upsell fairy exsist in Europe ;)

Cruising, and the information available, is not so extended as in the USA. And not that popular either. This is likely to change in the following years.

I am happy with CC boards and learning everyday.

Thanks everyone for all the shared info.

twinsff

rotterdam, holland

The normal reservation department is completely disconnected from the upsells. If you contact the regular reservation desk, they will simply quote you the published price upgrade (which still may have fallen by that time).

The only wait to get the true upsell is to hope that the upsell desk calls you, or you take the initiative and call them. It's a waste of time to call them more than 3 weeks out, and also a waste of time to call them, if you know there is no availability (by checking online).

Congratulations on the upgrade! We were upsold at a great price from a AF to A4 courtyard villa 14014. The Courtyard is accessible to only about 18 cabins or so. This week there was a large group from the Montreal area of about 30 people including lots of children in the area. There were also other couples and families. Everyone kept a different schedule and was in the courtyard at different times, so it never felt crowded. In fact, my husband and I were at the pool by ourselves several times. There are always chairs available and the courtyard attendants keep it clean and neat. The hot tub is large and there was always space available. There is also a private outdoor deck that you access from inside the courtyard with lots of lounge chairs and bed-like chairs.

The weather was cold on our trip south and back north, so the courtyard added 3 extra days where we could go in the pool and lie in the sun. It is very warm in there with the rooftop closed. It was so serene and beautiful, you are going to love it! I miss it already :(

We normally sail in an AF minisuite on deck 11 towards the front. I don't get seasick either. I found the 14th deck to be fine in terms of motion. When I was on the 15th floor outdoor deck it was fine too. You are going to have the best time!!!! The level of service and comfort is unbeatable.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

OMG I am so happy to hear this. I just booked the same exact room but on the Jewel for next year. There are only two of these cabins available and I wanted to make sure we got one. Plus the price was very good and we also get the AFL-CIO union member discount :D and the $300 OBC. So booking so far in advance paid off for us.

We have been waiting to do this courtyard villa for a long time. I am really excited and I am sure I will have some questions for you! :)

We have been waiting to do this courtyard villa for a long time. I am really excited and I am sure I will have some questions for you! :)

EVERYONE who has done it will warn you that it is an experience that it will be very difficult to ever go back to 'regular' cruising afterwards. Enjoy!

As far at getting an upsell in the Netherlands...seems like a good point was raised. While I think that the product price should be lowered if it just going to be upsold later (while others are paying 2-3 times more by booking it), I seriously doubt the upsell department (only in the US I presume) will be dialing international...interesting that I haven't thought about that perspective. Any folks living abroad that have received an upsell call?

EVERYONE who has done it will warn you that it is an experience that it will be very difficult to ever go back to 'regular' cruising afterwards. Enjoy!

quote]

We have had the "AB" penthouse twice and LOVED it. Now to think of the courtyard villa is totally blowing my mind. I am sure we will be hooked.. :D Only good thing is that once my dd is in college (2012) we can cruise on the off season which will make pricing a lot more reasonable!!

Any good specials in the SPA?

Also, was the water warm at GSC? Warm enough to swim? How was the air temp?

We are going in 21 days so I can't WAIT!

Yes there were some good $99 for 3 20 minute treatment specials and other specials on port days. Also the last sea day there were some specials.

The water was warm at GSC, fine for swimming. The air temp was in the mid 70's (it should be warmer when you go)

Have fun!!!!

Any good specials in the SPA?

Yes -- but we noticed the ones that were posted weren't even the best deals. ASK if you're getting the best deal they are offering during the cruise. On the GSC port day, I got an hour deep tissue massage for $79 bucks--by far the least expensive I've had on a cruise.

There was one advertised "special" price on the board outside the spa, another "special" price on an ad put on our door (As a "runner up prize" from the Spa raffle), and a third "special price" on an ad the day before on our door. The price I paid was less than all three "specials"--and I'm sure they wouldn't have given it to me if I didn't ask if I was getting the lowest price being offered to guests.

If they say there's no better "specials", try to haggle--ask for an aromatherapy add-on for free, or for an extra 15 min scalp massage (normally $20) for free... You'd be surprised what kind of deals you can get by letting them know you're ready to book right then and there if the price is right.

Good luck!

~Matt

If they say there's no better "specials", try to haggle--ask for an aromatherapy add-on for free, or for an extra 15 min scalp massage (normally $20) for free... You'd be surprised what kind of deals you can get by letting them know you're ready to book right then and there if the price is right.

Good luck!

~Matt

Thanks, Matt. I have been on 4 NCL cruises and didn't know you could negotiate in the spa! I will have to try that next cruise.

• 9 months later...

hi, we have sailed on the gem a few times in a mini suite.....very nice! i have now talked my sister and mother into sailing with us and we are looking at the A3 suite. Does the second bedroom have a window......a queen size bed? im searching around and have found no answers.......:confused:

Archived