Just off the Gem Today 3/6/10

Yes we went to GSC. We are not really beach people (sunburn easily) so we did not stay long, we just walked around a bit and went back to the ship. It seemed that there were enough chairs for all, but it was very crowded since it was a really beautiful day.

There were 4 ships in Nassau that day. The NCL Gem, NCL Sky, RCCL Monarch of the Seas, and the Carnival Splendor (?). The Splendor left in the afternoon. The Sky and Monarch were still in port when we left.

Nassau was very capable of handling the amount of people on shore. It seemed no more crowded than when only 2 ships are in port.

Hi - Just off the Gem today after our first stay in a Courtyard Villa. Had an amazing time. I will do a full review soon, but in the meantime are there any questions?

We just got upgraded to a Deluxe Owner's suite and have courtyard access. Exactly how many people are in the courtyard pool, hot tub etc. Also, never been in a cabin that high up. I don't get seasick and this is my fifth cruise but still wondering 15th deck, lots of motion? or not reallly? Welcome back, you must be depressed, I know I will be

We just got upgraded to a Deluxe Owner's suite and have courtyard access. Exactly how many people are in the courtyard pool, hot tub etc. Also, never been in a cabin that high up. I don't get seasick and this is my fifth cruise but still wondering 15th deck, lots of motion? or not reallly? Welcome back, you must be depressed, I know I will be

Congratulations on the upgrade! We were upsold at a great price from a AF to A4 courtyard villa 14014. The Courtyard is accessible to only about 18 cabins or so. This week there was a large group from the Montreal area of about 30 people including lots of children in the area. There were also other couples and families. Everyone kept a different schedule and was in the courtyard at different times, so it never felt crowded. In fact, my husband and I were at the pool by ourselves several times. There are always chairs available and the courtyard attendants keep it clean and neat. The hot tub is large and there was always space available. There is also a private outdoor deck that you access from inside the courtyard with lots of lounge chairs and bed-like chairs.

The weather was cold on our trip south and back north, so the courtyard added 3 extra days where we could go in the pool and lie in the sun. It is very warm in there with the rooftop closed. It was so serene and beautiful, you are going to love it! I miss it already :(

We normally sail in an AF minisuite on deck 11 towards the front. I don't get seasick either. I found the 14th deck to be fine in terms of motion. When I was on the 15th floor outdoor deck it was fine too. You are going to have the best time!!!! The level of service and comfort is unbeatable.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Would love to know about the menus and food...been 2 years since we were on the Gem..also..here they have a new Hotel Director...did you meet him..?

We have been on the Gem 3 times, the first being in 2008. The menus and food have pretty much stayed the same since then, with the exception of the "Cooking Light" entrees that are no longer on the menu. I enjoyed the food very much and have no complaints! The breakfast and lunch in Cagney's was especially tasty. The HUGE shrimp cocktails at lunch were fantastic :).

We did briefly meet the new HD at the Captain's cocktail party. We also had a few interesting conversations with Alain, the Food and Beverage director.

Congratulations on the upgrade! We were upsold at a great price from a AF to A4 courtyard villa 14014. The Courtyard is accessible to only about 18 cabins or so. This week there was a large group from the Montreal area of about 30 people including lots of children in the area. There were also other couples and families. Everyone kept a different schedule and was in the courtyard at different times, so it never felt crowded. In fact, my husband and I were at the pool by ourselves several times. There are always chairs available and the courtyard attendants keep it clean and neat. The hot tub is large and there was always space available. There is also a private outdoor deck that you access from inside the courtyard with lots of lounge chairs and bed-like chairs.

The weather was cold on our trip south and back north, so the courtyard added 3 extra days where we could go in the pool and lie in the sun. It is very warm in there with the rooftop closed. It was so serene and beautiful, you are going to love it! I miss it already :(

We normally sail in an AF minisuite on deck 11 towards the front. I don't get seasick either. I found the 14th deck to be fine in terms of motion. When I was on the 15th floor outdoor deck it was fine too. You are going to have the best time!!!! The level of service and comfort is unbeatable.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Thanks for the answers. I was thinking the same thing, its kind of cool in Florida and the water is cold, at least to me, so I wanted to take advantage of the courtyard pool. I notice you mentioned your A4. I was speaking to NCL today since we wanted to see about an A4 for my dh birthday in November. How did you like the room? We had originally been in an AE penthouse suite on the 9th deck but the upsell fairy called us last week and offered the deluxe owners suite, so I took the upgrade mostly because the price was good and I wanted to experience the courtyard.

We loved the room. If you have seen an AB or A3 suite it is the same except without the second bedroom/bathroom. It was very spacious and the bathroom was amazing! The A4 is at the end of the hall of the courtyard suite area and you make a short turn to get there from the rest of the hallway. It is kind of off by itself and is very quiet and private.

If you are used to the aft balcony in the AE you will definitely find the balcony very small. It was just big enough for two chairs and a small table. However, it was fine for us since we were literally just steps away from the courtyard and private deck.

Maybe when you are in the courtyard you can ask to get a peek at the A4.

Also just got off today, in Courtyard Villa 14010. Will try to post a full review tomorrow. But to give some basics, in case there are questions, etc.

Butler- Kadek

Concierge - Ruth

Cruise Director - Brett

Specialty restaurants tried- Cagneys, Les Bistro, Sushi, Teppenyaki, as well as both main dining rooms. Preferred Magenta over Grand Pacific, just quieter with better service. Stongly dislike the buffet.

Weather in ports was chilly. At times, sea rocking the boat pretty badly.

Kids loved the kids crew.

Didn't feel especially nickel and dimed, but did accumulate large bill.

And finally, after having gotten upsell to a suite, not sure how it would be possible to travel in a non-suite again.

We have been on the Gem 3 times, the first being in 2008. The menus and food have pretty much stayed the same since then, with the exception of the "Cooking Light" entrees that are no longer on the menu. I enjoyed the food very much and have no complaints! The breakfast and lunch in Cagney's was especially tasty. The HUGE shrimp cocktails at lunch were fantastic :).

We did briefly meet the new HD at the Captain's cocktail party. We also had a few interesting conversations with Alain, the Food and Beverage director.

thanks!...I really am looking forward to our 1st suite in December on the Gem!

The reason I asked about the HD--is on our cruise I was very impressed with Prem the HD..he seemed so consciencious.

thanks!...I really am looking forward to our 1st suite in December on the Gem!

The reason I asked about the HD--is on our cruise I was very impressed with Prem the HD..he seemed so consciencious.

I was on the Gem the week of 2/20 and I was not successful in engaging the new HD, Fillipo, in a conversation (Prem was always easy to talk to). Maybe it was my fault, but I could barely get him to acknowledge me the times I greeted him.

I was on the Gem the week of 2/20 and I was not successful in engaging the new HD, Fillipo, in a conversation (Prem was always easy to talk to). Maybe it was my fault, but I could barely get him to acknowledge me the times I greeted him.

Guess we weren't alone. We had the same experience. We spotted him nearly every night in the specialty restaurants. The extent of conversation seemed to be walking by the table saying "enjoy your dinner".. but not really breaking stride or stopping or "asking" how our dinner was.

I don't have an expectation that I'll speak with the HD though... so I don't think it really affected my cruise.

~Matt

Glad to hear you had a great time! Did they fix the light on the makeup mirror yet in that cabin? haha

I also felt the same with Fillipo, as nice as he was, he never did break a stride as he passed the table, asking if all was o.k. I think when I go back in a couple of weeks, I will respond "no" to his question and see if he stops. lol.

As much as I loved Prem, I felt the crew enjoyed Fillipo being in charge and they were more relaxed.

Dawn

Glad to hear you had a great time! Did they fix the light on the makeup mirror yet in that cabin? haha

Dawn

Actually they did not have it fixed but I really don't want to see myself so close up anyway :rolleyes:. If I had, I might have been tempted to go get Botox/Restallyne at the spa! ;) They did, however fix the towel bar and everything else in the room was in beautiful shape.

Can't say enough how much I loved that room and the courtyard and everything else about the cruise. I think my husband and I had a better time than the folks who wrote the two reviews of the Gem elsewhere on these boards. However, I think their points were valid and their reviews were realistic and balanced. Just goes to show that different people can have different experiences on the same sailing!

Back to reality tomorrow....:(

Lesley

I am glad the towel rack did get fixed at least. I hope the mirror does get fixed by the time I board. I would like to try it out. Every suite I have been in, they never seem to work.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise!!

I can't wait for Kadek to serve me dinner in the courtyard! Ahhhh...

Did you say Eric was your stateroom attendant? Did you like him?

Eric was my stateroom attendant. He was really a nice guy and did a fabulous job. Michael and the other guy in the Courtyard (can't recall his name) were really sweet as well. We had 2 lunches in the courtyard and enjoyed them very much.

Are you booked in the same cabin again?

I am glad the towel rack did get fixed at least. I hope the mirror does get fixed by the time I board. I would like to try it out. Every suite I have been in, they never seem to work.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise!!

I can't wait for Kadek to serve me dinner in the courtyard! Ahhhh...

Did you say Eric was your stateroom attendant? Did you like him?

We had Eric, he was great. Not sure what is an appropriate tip for a room steward, since he is part of the tip pool, but I left him an extra $40.

Eric was my stateroom attendant. He was really a nice guy and did a fabulous job. Michael and the other guy in the Courtyard (can't recall his name) were really sweet as well. We had 2 lunches in the courtyard and enjoyed them very much.

Are you booked in the same cabin again?

We also loved Michael, he was so sweet and funny. Made was in the courtyard area, he was also very nice.

Yes, we are in the same cabin again, unless we get an upgrade and I mean upgrade. I am not going for the upsell. So, I am sure we will probably stay in that cabin.

I actually liked that door to the great outdoors, did you get to use it?

We had Eric, he was great. Not sure what is an appropriate tip for a room steward, since he is part of the tip pool, but I left him an extra $40.

I am sure he appreciated it. He was so nice and probably didn't expect more than what was already taken out from your booking service gratuity charges.

We gave him an extra tip as well - he deserved it! I think $40 was an appropriate amount. We also gave tips to the guys in the courtyard who seemed genuinely pleased about it. Even though we did not use their services much, there was a nice tip for Kadek and my dad gave Ruth a tip from our family.

I actually liked that door to the great outdoors, did you get to use it?

From the inside the door says "For emergency use only" We did use it once from the outside. It was fun. Most of our trip it was too cold to be outdoors. I did not see anyone else use that door. Our end of the hallway was very private.

We gave him an extra tip as well - he deserved it! I think $40 was an appropriate amount. We also gave tips to the guys in the courtyard who seemed genuinely pleased about it. Even though we did not use their services much, there was a nice tip for Kadek and my dad gave Ruth a tip from our family.

From the inside the door says "For emergency use only" We did use it once from the outside. It was fun. Most of our trip it was too cold to be outdoors. I did not see anyone else use that door. Our end of the hallway was very private.

We used that door once, from the outside.

Hi - Just off the Gem today after our first stay in a Courtyard Villa. Had an amazing time. I will do a full review soon, but in the meantime are there any questions?

This may sound like a silly question but......We are leaving on the Gem 3/20 and my kids immediately want to swim upon boarding the ship. Now everyone knows the air temperature in NY in March is not "optimal" swimming temp so....are the pools heated?

This may sound like a silly question but......We are leaving on the Gem 3/20 and my kids immediately want to swim upon boarding the ship. Now everyone knows the air temperature in NY in March is not "optimal" swimming temp so....are the pools heated?

We noticed people in them every day... I hope they were heated! It was 32 the day we left NYC...

Archived