? about Rio, Brazilgirl or others HELP!

Tish in EC

Hi I will be on Splendour of the Seas next week and on Sunday the 21st we'll be in Rio from 8am to 5pm. I would like to do the Corcovado, Sugarloaf, have lunch in a rodizio and visit the largest shopping mall. My question is: Will I have enough time to do all of this? What order would you recommend? Which restaurant and Mall?

Thanks so much for all the information you and others provide.

Tish in EC

Hi Trish-

Let´s start with the Rodizio. Easiest question to answer...Porcão is the quintessential rodizio. Have a light breakfast and be prepared to commit the sin of gluttony! There are several Porcão restaurants in Rio. I´d recommend the one in Flamengo for the wonderful views ( you can see the famous Rio landmarks , including Guanabara Bay , Corcovado , and Sugar Loaf.)

If it is a beautiful day with no cloud cover , Corcovado is magnificent. A truly awe-inspiring view. However , if the Christ Statue is covered with clouds , skip it. I was there in October with my mom. It was a pretty day , blue skies. We looked at the statue and saw clouds surrounding it , but decided to risk it. Conclusion-NO view at all and the Christ itself was almost invisible even though we were right under it. I have been there on clear days- glorious! But not worth losing preciuos time in Rio if there are any clouds around it.

Sugar Loaf is fun with great views (not AS great as Corcovado , but very beautiful). I actually like it as a place to explore . My dad loved the fact that there were lots of giant blue morpho butterflies flying around and the cable cars are cool.

The Rio shopping centers are fabulous. Some of the big ones like Barra are very far away and would cost you a lot of time to get to due to traffic . I love the Fashion Mall , but it too is a bit far. Maybe Shopping Leblon would be the best option . Leblon is a wonderful neighborhood.

If you really want to take advantage of your day , I´d hire a guide to personalize a tour with all that you´d like to do. Rio is a huge city , with lots of traffic. You will maximize your time and enjoyment if you do a personalized tour. That´s always what I do when I go to big cities on cruises.

My mother -in -law is on the Splendour this week! She left Saturday. I´´d be happy to answer any more questions.Have a great time.

Kim

We live in Ecuador and usually go with taxi's or van's in Latin American countries, since usually the language is no problem. So you do think it's possible to do everything? Do you suggest any particular order because of traffic or the ships tours, or just see what the driver recommends?

Two years ago we did Buenos Aires-Valparaiso on Celebrity and was our favorite cruise to date (this year is our 4th). What we really liked about it is was the passenger mix, a lot of European, South Americans, Mexicans, etc. They had a guy that played the piano and sung in Spanish which was great.

Which brings me to the question for your MIL, was the entertainment less "gringo" or pretty much the same as any other cruise? I'm hoping that there will be a good mix and some "latin" type entertainment, since we're taking my in-laws who don't speak any English.

Other than that, I would just be curious about anything "different" or "special" that she learned, like a secret hideaway :D, fantastic food or whatever!

Again thanks for being so helpful.

Tish in EC

Hi I will be on Splendour of the Seas next week and on Sunday the 21st we'll be in Rio from 8am to 5pm. I would like to do the Corcovado, Sugarloaf, have lunch in a rodizio and visit the largest shopping mall. My question is: Will I have enough time to do all of this? What order would you recommend? Which restaurant and Mall?

Thanks so much for all the information you and others provide.

Tish in EC

You might want to rethink your itinerary inasmuch as your time frame is so short. I suggest you choose either Cocovado or Sugarloaf and recommend the later based upon time considerations. While I agree the views are better from the top of Corcovado it might take considerably longer if you have to wait for a seat on the train and views from Sugarloaf can be less impacted by the weather. Moreover there is a fine restaurant directly at the foot of Sugarloaf called Zozo. It was recently refurbished and is an excellent spot for lunch. It serves a rodizio (asado) style buffet.

If you like Mediterannean cuisine and don't want to overeat at a rodizio I strongly recommend Arab restaurant on Av Atlantica in Copacabana, a couple blocks from the Copacabana palace hotel. It serves a wonderful buffet (priced by weight). You can dine on diverse and delicious Lebanese, Morrocan and Jewish dishes al fresco at one the tables opposite the Copa beach.

As you will be in Rio on Sunday I can also recommend the Feira Hippie in General Osorio plaza in Ipanema. It is an excellent fair to buy souveneirs and arts and crafts. I recommend you avoid buying semi-precious stones at this fair. A good rodizio, Carretao, is located directly opposite Gen Osorio plaza. It is a good alternative to Porcao (and at half the cost a better value). By the way, the HQ of Stern and Amsterdam Sauer are located a 5-10 minute walk from the Hippie Fair. Both offer free tours to see how jewelry is made - not a bad way to spend 20 minutes. Moreover, if you have to catch your ship either store will probably offer you a free ride to the pier even if you have not made a purchase.

From Gen Osorio plaza in Ipanema it is a 10 minute taxi ride to Shopping Leblon, the newest and swankest shopping center in Rio. It opens at noon. From a logistics point of view, it is a better choice than Fashion Mall in Sao Conrado although the latter is only about 10-15 minutes further away. Fashion mall is reputed to be the best for clothes. Let me add here that there are not many bargains to be had shopping in Rio because of the relative strength of the Brazilian real. Havianas, local arts and crafts, and semi-precious jewelry (not necessarily form the likes of Stern or Amsterdam Sauer) may provide some decent bargains. Otherwise, expect to pay full retail for just about everything else. Thankfully, the taxis are comparatively inexpensive.

A lesser known fair that qualifies as the something different you ask about is the Sao Cristavo fair (aka Feira Nordestino) at the Centro Cultural de Luis Gonzaga located on the highway between GIG and and the city center about a 15 minute taxi ride from the pier. As the name implies, it is a fair featuring food, arts, crafts and entertainment from the Northeast part of the country. Very entertaining.

Happy travels.

Thank you for the additional information, now I really have to check out all the options and be ready to let the weather help make any last minute decisions. The jewelry suggestion was great since my MIL specifically asked me about gems.

Any other suggestions and/or options are welcome!!!

Tish in EC

The trouble is that Ipanema, and even more Leblon, is far away from the main attractions you want to see, and traffic in Rio is unbelievable.

I concur you should see about hiring a private guide with whom you can work to try to optimize your itinerary, especially given that Corcovado is so iffy, given the clouds. Even with the best of planning, don't count on great views from there, at least not in all directions.

The trouble is that Ipanema, and even more Leblon, is far away from the main attractions you want to see, and traffic in Rio is unbelievable.

I concur you should see about hiring a private guide with whom you can work to try to optimize your itinerary, especially given that Corcovado is so iffy, given the clouds. Even with the best of planning, don't count on great views from there, at least not in all directions.

On Sunday, traffic is not heavy anywhere in Rio except perhaps to the beaches in Barra, outside of town. When traffic is light as on Sunday, Ipanema (say centrally located General Osorio plaza) is about 10 minutes by taxi from Sugarloaf and 15 minutes from Corcovado. Leblon Shopping center is less than 10 minutes by cab from central Ipanema. Sao Cristova fair is about 15 minutes from the pier.

In any case, I'm not sure what a pvt guide could do to improve the flow of traffic or the weather. To see the major attractions a pvt guide is unnecessary.

Tish-

Have had a busy couple of days!

I guess I didn´t directly answer your question about doing both Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. My personal answer: do only one. Otherwise your day will be overwhelming and you won´t be able to enjoy Rio´s laidback vibe.

Stella made an excellent suggestion about the "hippie fair". The fair is a lot of fun and there are lots of unique souvenirs , which you won´t find at a shopping center. Ithink we both concur that Shopping Leblon would be an excellent option .

As Stella mentioned , bargains in the shopping malls are hard to come by. Clothes are very expensive here. However , if you are a power shopper and don´t mind spending some money for some one of a kind treats , you will really enjoy the stores. The handbags and shoes here are gorgeous , and everywhere I go around the world I get compliments on my Brazilian pieces. And of course , the gemstones are world-renowned.

My mother bought 2 blue topaz at H. Stern a few years back and had them recently made into a ring and a pendant. Truly stunning. Worth a visit.

I suggested a guide if you really have your heart set on doing all of the "sights" , as it expeditates everything , including ticket purchases , hailing cabs and figuring out where you are. No matter how many maps and how much preparation , when you have only one day in an unknown city , it can make a huge difference in reducing stress levels and it can really enhance your experience by having a guide to give you commentaries on the city. Just my opinion! I love to wander , but when time is a factor in such a large city , a guide can really be an asset.

I have been to many excellent restaurants in Rio...the food in Brazil is generally very good. I continue recommending Porcão (Flamengo branch) because of its wonderful views , fab food and its tradition as "the" Brazilian rodizio. Brazilians and "gringos" love it. It is a bit more expensive and , of course , there are many other delicious rodizios to be had .

Have fun.

Kim

If it is a beautiful day with no cloud cover , Corcovado is magnificent. A truly awe-inspiring view. However , if the Christ Statue is covered with clouds , skip it. I was there in October with my mom. It was a pretty day , blue skies. We looked at the statue and saw clouds surrounding it , but decided to risk it. Conclusion-NO view at all and the Christ itself was almost invisible even though we were right under it. I have been there on clear days- glorious! But not worth losing preciuos time in Rio if there are any clouds around it.

Sugar Loaf is fun with great views (not AS great as Corcovado , but very beautiful). I actually like it as a place to explore . My dad loved the fact that there were lots of giant blue morpho butterflies flying around and the cable cars are cool.

Just a detail to add: The cable cars to the Sugar Loaf may have to interrupt operation if winds get too strong. That is a shame when you are at the ground station. Imagine what it is when you are at the top station and time is running out.

Two weeks and scared to death (questions of flying, crossing the Equator and the AF syndrome). I´ll put plenty of tranquilizer pills in my bag. Anyway, let´s stick to the point.

I´ll definitely do either Sugar Loaf or Corcovado. What about Sugar loaf and helicopter flight (only few minutes) and flying around?. If it´s not sunny (being a miserable weather these days in Rio), I won´t even bother to go on the helicopter. I know it´s a must.

In my case I will overnight Rio (currently I have changed the Othon Palace for the Sofitel. I know it´s slightly better, but probably the location is not that good). I will have a private car, so it makes things much easier than regular tours. I am going to the Rodizio or perhaps a little bit o Samba on the night before, but having just a morning, I wouldn´t go to any restaurant.

this is a good thing, I start vacation on Friday so this weekend I'm making sure I've got everything together. This past week and the next couple of work days are going to be hectic since I'll be gone for 3 weeks.

I want to thank everyone for the help I've got all down so when I'm actually there we can see what's going on with the weather, traffic and time and look at the options to see what we can realistically do.

Thanks a bunch.

Tish

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Insignia in December enjoying the Brazilian coast. Rafa Torres met us in Rio and was a great guide. He also drove down the coast to Parati and Buzios and met us there as well. We love Brazil and have been there three times. Rafa made our trip special...... enjoy your cruise. donrafainrio@yahoo.es This is his email. from Robi1

Archived