Shoe organizer - another use!

bundito

One of the most common tips on Cruise Critic is to buy a clear plastic door-hanging shoe organizer for your cabin clutter. Hang it on the back of your bathroom or cabin door and it becomes a perfect place to store your excursion tickets, occasional items like sunscreen, receipts, etc.

Allow me to present another idea: they're also great for planning.

I hung mine up on our master closet door (which happens to be in the bathroom). I started filling all the pockets with our various travel-sized items, roughly organized by category. Toothbrushes, hair products, first aid, shaving gear, etc. Because the pockets are transparent, I can immediately see I need to buy some disposable razors.

Give it a try - it works great!

-Dito

I always store the things I only use for traveling in mine, and as the cruise grows closer I start putting in more of the small things I don't want to forget. I also tuck my list of things to bring in one pocket.

Generally we buy a cheap one to take with us in case we have space problem and have to leave it behind.

I know some people say they're a waste of space, but we couldn't live without ours. It keeps the cabin so much neater and provides much needed extra storage. It's so convenient to grab the things we need in the bathroom as we enter and not clutter up the counter.

I've never seen that tip before, sounds like a good idea, I suppose it will help stop things rolling off counters too if the seas are a little rough?:)

I must have a look in Poundland next time I'm in town, it sounds like the kind of thing I'd pick up from there - very cheap and disposable at that price.

been doing this...works out great cos you can SEE what you already have and need...use to start throwing everything in the carry-ons but then i could not see...i still have mine hanging up in my bathroom from my January cruise...i am getting ready for my dec cruise:D

Okay, please don't laugh! I always travel with the shoe thingy. But instead of using one at home to keep stuff for an upcoming cruise (which is a great idea by the way), I have a "Treasure Chest" that I keep in the guest room. I keep everything I need for cruising inside. Binoculars, duct tape, travel-sized toiletries, etc. About 3 weeks before we leave for our cruise, I open my treasure chest and pack up all the things I need for the particular cruise I'm going on. When I return from the cruise I replenish the chest with anything I've used up. Works for me!:D

Sorry, but we have absolutely NO use for any over the door shoey thing. We have a toiletry bag that STAYS full of what we need when traveling -razors, shaving cream, tooth brushes, tooth paste, our own bath soap, etc. We add my face cream, spray deoderant, etc. when we book a cruise. Some things go in a glass on the ship's bathroom shelf or by themself on the shelf. It goes in my carry-on bag. The shoey thing takes up too much room in a suitcase and we each now only take carry-on size suitcases and one garmet bag. (It's taken years to be able to do that!)

Bonnie J., I'm glad I'm not the only one! I bought one, took it on a cruise, could never figure out what to do with the darn thing, and gave it to Goodwill when I got home.

Our dop kits are always packed--I just check them and re-fill whatever's low befoere we go on a trip. We'vwe always found there to be plenty of storage in the cabin bathroom and the cabin itself.

I've never used the shoe thingie but I've bought one to use this trip. My husband, bless his heart, has a theory that if I say "the aspirin are in the black bag" the aspirin should JUMP out into his hand the minute he opens said black bag.

When I pack our toiletries and medicines, those bags are jammed full, and it is very difficult to find anything in them for a normal human being. But for my husband, with his expectation of things jumping out at him, it's impossible

My hope and prayer is that with the over the door shoe thingie, he will be able to see things rather than unzipping a bag, looking inside without feeling around or moving anything, not finding what he wants and announcing "it's not here!"

Of course his inability to find anything is job security for me. But I think he'll keep me around just for being adorable.

Okay, please don't laugh! I always travel with the shoe thingy. But instead of using one at home to keep stuff for an upcoming cruise (which is a great idea by the way), I have a "Treasure Chest" that I keep in the guest room. I keep everything I need for cruising inside. Binoculars, duct tape, travel-sized toiletries, etc. About 3 weeks before we leave for our cruise, I open my treasure chest and pack up all the things I need for the particular cruise I'm going on. When I return from the cruise I replenish the chest with anything I've used up. Works for me!:D

Mousey, I use the same system -- right down to the guest room location (and the take-but-never-use shoe thingy :o).

Caro

Archived