Docking in Istanbul

marilynfaye

Hi Marilyn -

Long time no chat! :D

This is where we docked in 2001 on the R5 (now Nautica). And when we were in Instanbul in May 2009 on a land trip - this is where all the ships were docking. Small and large, Azamara Journey and Celebrity Solstice to name a few...

Have you been to Istanbul? It's one of our favorite cities - drop me a line if you have questions or need any suggestions....

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks everyone.

Joe, good to hear from you. No, I have never been to Istanbul. I'll email you separately and update you on the life and times . . . .

We have two cruises on the calendar: VCE-IST on Oct 30 & MIA-SFO on Marina in February, 2011. Might we look forward to your presence on either of these?

Hi Marilyn,

No travel plans for 2010 at all. :mad: We plan to stick close to home for the first time in nearly a decade....

2011 I have a couple things I'm looking at....both on Oceania.

Joe

Just FYI - the docking area is close to where a tram runs that can take you easily to the area near the main sights - Haji Sophia, Blue Mosque. Also if you walk right out and try to get a cab, the prices are steep. When we left the ship, the closest cabs wanted 50YTL?'s to take us to our hotel. We walked about 5 minutes, out of the secure area and hailed a cab for 15YTL's - the hotel had given us an approximate price ahead of time of what the cost should be, saved us lunch money.

If you are staying in Istanbul, just go to the Swissotel.On there roof is the bar and restaurant SKY. It is the best view of all of Istanbul plus you can see the ship docked.

We stayed there pre cruise 3 yrs ago on the Oceania Black sea cruise.

I highly recommend the restaurant and there swiss chocalte deserts.

Archived