Got the phone call for the upsell

lynpat

The phone rang last week with Carnival offering me an upsell on Miracle for 4/15. I took the bait and bought up to a GrandSuite, which he kept referring to as a "penthouse suite" even though it is on deck 6. There will be 4 of us travelling, so the extra room will be nice, but the price was steep. Has anyone ever bargained with the salesman? It seems that all we are gaining over the regular "suite" is a bit more balcony space, and a bit more room in the cabin. We also moved from the back of the ship up to mid-ship. I hope it feels amazing when we get there!

The phone rang last week with Carnival offering me an upsell on Miracle for 4/15. I took the bait and bought up to a GrandSuite, which he kept referring to as a "penthouse suite" even though it is on deck 6. There will be 4 of us travelling, so the extra room will be nice, but the price was steep. Has anyone ever bargained with the salesman? It seems that all we are gaining over the regular "suite" is a bit more balcony space, and a bit more room in the cabin. We also moved from the back of the ship up to mid-ship. I hope it feels amazing when we get there!

Congrats on the suite. Don't forget you'll have VIP status for embarkation and debarkation. :D Just today I got the same call...currently booked in an 8C balcony...was offered the largest suite for an extra $220. pp, I responded "that amount doesn’t inspire me". I mentioned that the second day of the cruise would be my birthday and could she do any better. Her next offer was $110.00 pp for an OS category...having been on-line when she called, I quickly pulled deck plans up and I asked her what's the stateroom number. She gave it to me and it was a suite cat OS but with a partially obstructed view. She made no mention of that…hummm. I didn’t bite. So to finally offer some sort of an answer to your question is maybe? LOL…just thought I’d share another up sell fairy story.

I think the upsells have been steep. Yes, people have offered less and sometimes they call you back and accept a lower amount. My PVP told me the guy you are talking to isnt authorized to accept less, but his supervisor can...so thats why they have to call you back.

We never got an upsell call but our PVP that we used the last 2 times was horrible. This time we booked with the 800# and told them do not send our reservation to our now former PVP.

We are in a ES this time so doubt there will be any calls. The GS and ES use to be called penthouse suites.

What cabin are you in we had GS 6217 on the Miracle last week and it was great ..tons of room, wonderful location ...enjoy it.....

We got moved to cabin 6182 , hoping it is worth it!!

Last year on Miracle, we had two connecting balcony cabins booked. Our upsell call offered us two adjoining (not connecting) category 11 suites for an additional $500, so we took it. Since we could open the balcony partition, we really still had our connecting cabins.

Last month on Conquest, we booked aft wrap 8448 and aft balcony 8450. In fact, we booked Conquest because we could get the aft wrap. Two days before sailing, the upsell fairy called DH and offered him a category 12 suite for the four of us for an additional $500. We said no - I wasn't about to give up my aft wrap and the extra bathroom and pay more money. Later than afternoon, a different upsell fairy called DH and offered us our sons' fares as OBC if we would take the suite, no extra charge involved. That became too good a deal to refuse, so we switched.

Congrats on the suite. Don't forget you'll have VIP status for embarkation and debarkation. :D Just today I got the same call...currently booked in an 8C balcony...was offered the largest suite for an extra $220. pp, I responded "that amount doesn’t inspire me". I mentioned that the second day of the cruise would be my birthday and could she do any better. Her next offer was $110.00 pp for an OS category...having been on-line when she called, I quickly pulled deck plans up and I asked her what's the stateroom number. She gave it to me and it was a suite cat OS but with a partially obstructed view. She made no mention of that…hummm. I didn’t bite. So to finally offer some sort of an answer to your question is maybe? LOL…just thought I’d share another up sell fairy story.

What is category OS?

So really, how often does the upgrade fairy show up? I'm traveling solo on Freedom and booked a 1A, one of the ones with portholes - I've never been solicited for an upgrade before, will I be this time?

It will have to be a sweeeeet offer as I'm going for about 100/day including all taxes - at that price, any category 4 is not an improvement (well maybe a 4J with the forward-facing windows), I'd rather have the portholes than a bigger bed.

I think the upsells have been steep. Yes, people have offered less and sometimes they call you back and accept a lower amount. My PVP told me the guy you are talking to isnt authorized to accept less, but his supervisor can...so thats why they have to call you back.

lol that old gag. Did they throw in floormats? :confused:

We just got a call today for upcoming (3/21/2010) sailing on the Conquest.

Interior to oceanview on same deck (Main) for $100 total for 4 of us.

This is my 7th, DW 8th, DD & DS 4th

We did not book ES but prices have never been lower when we checked after we booked.

Not sure what method they use. Has to be tied to $$$ or they wouldn't do it and they got $100 from this sucker.

For 35 more square feet, sofa and a window, we felt it was worth it. The difference was definitely more than $100 when we booked or we would have booked an OV to begin with.

Archived