DIY Root Kits,my experience

TnMama

The time came over the weekend to "do my roots". My grey's were poking out all over,and the slight difference between super dark brown and my black dye was showing. So last week I had gotten one of those Clairol root kits at Walmart. Trying to save a buck and not damage my hair too bad, I thought Id give it a try. The box said it would match "ANY" hair color,salon included. My entire head dye job was Herbal Essences brand. It works the best on my hard to dye hair.

So I prepared my hair,by not washing it that morning in the shower,and followed the directions.Easy enough,right. No prob there. My hair is short,but SUPER thick and stacked up the back,so I knew back there Id need more all over coverage. ABout half way through, I knew I didnt have enough stuff.So after I got the top done and my temples,where you can SEE the grey, I knew I had to work fast. In the back I tried my best to do just the roots. But it honestly was NOT enough dye for my hair,even being short. and now my hair looks down right dull. Im pretty self concious,but I do have good hair. Now it just looks like a dried out dull blob on top my head!

My moral of the story is, next time,I will just buy a bottle of the color Ive already used,and just do my roots and grey coverage. Even if its 9 bucks a box,versus the lil over 5 I paid for the root kit.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I've used this kit and it works well for me; however, my hair is shoulder length and I really only need to touch-up the top part areas and around the front hairline. I can see that it wouldn't be enough if you had to touch up the whole head.

Last month I just kept back a very small amount of my regular color in the bottle, added the approriate amount of developer and used it just like the kit. It worked great.

I've used this kit and it works well for me; however, my hair is shoulder length and I really only need to touch-up the top part areas and around the front hairline. I can see that it wouldn't be enough if you had to touch up the whole head.

Last month I just kept back a very small amount of my regular color in the bottle, added the approriate amount of developer and used it just like the kit. It worked great.

Ill try that next time. Thanks for the tip.

And yall, I think my head was itchy and hair dull b/c I was using a different kind of shampoo. I use the Suave Professionals and have for years. So for spring,I bought some of the new mint/rosemary scent. Felt very spring and summery. Well THAT is what made my hair blah. I still had some of the "like Biolage" stuff and used it yesterday. Did my hair wonders. No itch,and its back to its normal shine. So that was my issue. The color is matched well now too. And if I grow my hair out where the back is not stacked, {Im a SAHM,and short and easy works for me right now} Ill use the root kit again, just NOT that shampoo "flavor":)

I learned in Beauty school that Sauve has such a high PH, you could actually perm your hair with it. Please ladies, pay the little extra and get a decent shampoo and conditioner. It really does make a difference

I learned in Beauty school that Sauve has such a high PH, you could actually perm your hair with it. Please ladies, pay the little extra and get a decent shampoo and conditioner. It really does make a difference

I definitely agree with you! My DD is a hair stylist and I would never use products from the dept. stores, color, shampoo, etc. BUT then again, I don't have to pay the high salon prices to have my hair, so very fortunate there.

Sue

I definitely agree with you! My DD is a hair stylist and I would never use products from the dept. stores, color, shampoo, etc. BUT then again, I don't have to pay the high salon prices to have my hair, so very fortunate there.

Sue

There's the rub. I know with the salon stuff a dab will do ya, but we're on a tight budget. So shampoo and conditioner are at the bottom of the barrel so to speak. that and cheap ketchup,lol. I buy it in those big pump bottles,and switch up the kind I use,I go back n forth from the like humectant and bio stuff.

Willie T, I didnt know you could perm your hair with it!

I've given "shampoo lessons" so many times here I feel like a broken record.

If you use a professional product properly and buy from most salons (drug and grocery stores, as well as beauty supplies over charge for professional products), you will not use too much product and it will not cost a fortune.

Your hair is your crowning glory, give it the best chance to look great. Yucky hair stands out just as much, or more than fashion faux pas.

I've given "shampoo lessons" so many times here I feel like a broken record.

If you use a professional product properly and buy from most salons (drug and grocery stores, as well as beauty supplies over charge for professional products), you will not use too much product and it will not cost a fortune.

Your hair is your crowning glory, give it the best chance to look great. Yucky hair stands out just as much, or more than fashion faux pas.

I agree completely! For years I relied only on cheap shampoo and drugstore color because I was a college student on a budget then a mom on a budget. At some point I was fighting with my hair constantly. I could not seem to get it to look the way I wanted it to. I gave up and wore a ponytail and then spent $ for a clip-on ponytail enhancer in an attempt to make it look better. It was flat and limp and unruly at the same time. The money I spent covering up my hair with baseball caps and clip-ons could have been spent on better products, I see that now!

I decided to go with quality salon products and professional hair color sessions and soon I could see the difference. No more unexpected color results. I now shampoo 3 or 4 times a week and use far less conditioner, so the products last much longer, and my hair is stronger and more manageable. No more ponytail with clip on hair, although that can be a fun look for a change of pace.

I didn't mean to come off telling TnMama how to spend her hard earned $$. Please know that I really get it! :) :) If you like your results with inexpensive stuff, then it is working for you, and that is great! Then you can spend the money elsewhere as you need to!! ;)

It just didn't work for me, that's all. But I admit it took me some time to overcome the mindset of spending twice as much for a smaller bottle of shampoo. In my case, it was an issue of overall value and results that allowed me to justify the expense.

TnMama. I hear ya about being broke. Been there. Salon products can be very expensive. Sometimes that $20 just has to go in the gas tank. Try Sally's Beauty supply if there is one near you. Less expensive, but better then Sauve. And, I hated having to buy cheap ketchup! LOL

As far as perming with Sauve, who knows. That's what we were told. But it is harsh.

well I was thinking of trying this till I read the responses.

I use the Clairol Natural Instincts #13 Suede (light brown) and am having to redo the roots every 4 weeks. It starts fading and looking brassy before that. Had also thought about having highlights done but have dark brown hair that goes to "brassy" quickly with colors. My hair is fine and damages quickly and even with what I'm using I have to condition every day. My hair dresser says not to try permenant colors at home. Instead of gray roots I have silvery white ones. I had wondered it I used a lighter color that it may look like highlights. Don't know what to do. Any suggestions from past experience would be helpful. .

You just brought back a memory from way back in 1979. Some of my family had just moved from Northern Illinois to Northern Mississippi and my 17 year old cousin went to a salon for her 1st visit. The stylist started running his fingers through her hair, and without asking what shampoo/conditioner she was using, told her to get rid of the Suave and promise to never buy it again, and that it was ruining her hair! Since then when I'm budgeting and look at Suave, I still hear her words and move far away from any of their products and just cough up the extra for better products. (Nothing too expensive...heck, I'm shopping at Walmart!)

TnMama. I hear ya about being broke. Been there. Salon products can be very expensive. Sometimes that $20 just has to go in the gas tank. Try Sally's Beauty supply if there is one near you. Less expensive, but better then Sauve. And, I hated having to buy cheap ketchup! LOL

As far as perming with Sauve, who knows. That's what we were told. But it is harsh.

I have priced Sally's before and their prices were actually higher than what you would pay in a salon for the same product!

well I was thinking of trying this till I read the responses.

I use the Clairol Natural Instincts #13 Suede (light brown) and am having to redo the roots every 4 weeks. It starts fading and looking brassy before that. Had also thought about having highlights done but have dark brown hair that goes to "brassy" quickly with colors. My hair is fine and damages quickly and even with what I'm using I have to condition every day. My hair dresser says not to try permenant colors at home. Instead of gray roots I have silvery white ones. I had wondered it I used a lighter color that it may look like highlights. Don't know what to do. Any suggestions from past experience would be helpful. .

My hair does the same thing with any haircolor that uses peroxide/amonia.

I have had better results with a demi color (I use PM shines) that is a stain that wears off. I don't have a lot of gray, no roots even when I have colored it one color. I also have started using an amber blond instead of a brown color. My hair is a medium brown, the amber blond only stains the gray hairs and it looks more like natural highlights, it does not look blond.

Personally I think many women try to fight graying too much. Many women look lovely with gray (especially silver gray :)). Trying to reclaim your natural dark hair from your youth can have the reverse results...making you look older since your skin has also changed with your hair color. I realize many women like highlights, I'm just not crazy for streaky blond highlights on brown hair. There are color products on the market now to enhance the gray instead of covering it up.

From my limited color knowledge (also from years ago) the reason color doesn't attach to gray is that the pigment is gone from the hair. The color molecules have nothing to attach to...hence the brassiness and quickly fading color. It's probably also one reason many women (and men) tend to go darker, thinking it won't fade as quickly.

Even worse are the men trying to fight graying. I don't object to them coloring their hair, just stop trying to dye the whole head dark. Mens temples show gray again within days, so if your man does color his hair, leave the temple area out. When we would color a mans hair, we parted off the temple and only combed through the color with a wide tooth comb, to reduce rather than thoroughly color the whole head.

Not on a soapbox here! Just trying to give some people something to think about.

LOL ladies, thanks for understanding! I didnt get offended at ALL! Dont have a Sallys near where I live right now. I used to shop there when i lived close to one though for hair dye. that was a while back.

Ive tried various brands from walmart,and even Fantastic Sams but they make me itch. I make my own fab softenr for that reason too...

Yall have a happy day...:D

~Sarah

The time came over the weekend to "do my roots". My grey's were poking out all over,and the slight difference between super dark brown and my black dye was showing. So last week I had gotten one of those Clairol root kits at Walmart. Trying to save a buck and not damage my hair too bad, I thought Id give it a try. The box said it would match "ANY" hair color,salon included. My entire head dye job was Herbal Essences brand. It works the best on my hard to dye hair.

So I prepared my hair,by not washing it that morning in the shower,and followed the directions.Easy enough,right. No prob there. My hair is short,but SUPER thick and stacked up the back,so I knew back there Id need more all over coverage. ABout half way through, I knew I didnt have enough stuff.So after I got the top done and my temples,where you can SEE the grey, I knew I had to work fast. In the back I tried my best to do just the roots. But it honestly was NOT enough dye for my hair,even being short. and now my hair looks down right dull. Im pretty self concious,but I do have good hair. Now it just looks like a dried out dull blob on top my head!

My moral of the story is, next time,I will just buy a bottle of the color Ive already used,and just do my roots and grey coverage. Even if its 9 bucks a box,versus the lil over 5 I paid for the root kit.

Why not just buy a box of your regular color and then mix some of the color and developer together in a bowl? That way you'll have a half a box left for next time and it won't cost you anymore money?

The box siad it would match "ANY" color???

Yeah, and one size fits all! :D

As for shampoo, I do recommend that you look for brands that don't use sulphates. You can find those at all prices.

I have used the Clairol roots kit and found it didn't cover the grey as well as normal hair color and didn't last as long.

I agree that it is a better choice to use regular hair color than a root kit.

DH uses Suave and I cannot get him to change shampoo. I tried it earlier on but it made my head itch. That was enough for me.

You just brought back a memory from way back in 1979. Some of my family had just moved from Northern Illinois to Northern Mississippi and my 17 year old cousin went to a salon for her 1st visit. The stylist started running his fingers through her hair, and without asking what shampoo/conditioner she was using, told her to get rid of the Suave and promise to never buy it again, and that it was ruining her hair! Since then when I'm budgeting and look at Suave, I still hear her words and move far away from any of their products and just cough up the extra for better products. (Nothing too expensive...heck, I'm shopping at Walmart!)

Just to respond to the N.MS statement. Im FROM N.Ms. Hernando. ;)

You know I feel ya on WM. Ive tried all kinds,but most make my head itch. What about Pantene? or rather the Great Value Pantene. THat ok to use? Im not being a smart ass either, just asking.:)

I like the Clariol Root touch up kit and use it often. However, it is only intended for use on the visable root areas, not the whole head. You do only get a small amount of product. I use it in my part, and around the temples. If you need a full head roots application, then this is not the product for you. :) I think it works great for a quick touch up and "buys" me a couple of extra weeks before a full color. I only do a full head color every 3rd time I color. Second, I use the root touch up, then a full kit for all over roots.

• 1 month later...

So I took yalls advice about buying a whole bottle of dye. And now Im sitting on my porch waiting on it to work its grey covering majic. My roots {barely noticable from my dark dark brown to black} had way past been needing to be done.So today,Ive done an all over job. I plan to get a trim bout 2 weeks before sailing and dye my roots the week of. Today I just bought Nice N Easy Natural black,so when I do buy the touch up kit,its at least the same brand.

So thanks for the tips yall have given me!!

Hi ladies! Okay, a little off the original topic but I was wondering if maybe anyone could give me some advice on hair. I have light blonde hair (not my natural color;)) and it is chin length. I have the hardest time finding shampoo/conditioner! I have a lot of hair, not thick hair, just alot of hair. I have tried every kind of shampoo at the store; Pantene, Sauve, Tresemme, L'Oreal, etc. And I always end up with dry, dull, frizzy hair. And then a day and a half later it's a grease pit. I have also tried Wen shampoo and that left my hair horrible limp and greasy.

Can anyone recommend a shampoo/conditioner? Salon brands are fine with me as long as I can have nice shiny, healthy hair!

Hi Queeniam!!

I am sorry you are not getting the results you want from the shampoos and conditioners you have tried. :( Do you shampoo daily? That may contribute to your problem by drying out the strands while encouraging oil production on the scalp. In some ways, I have similar hair: my hair is fine, medium-short, and oh so picky about shampoo!! I found I have oily scalp and yet dry hair, something my stylist says is quite common. Here is what works for me. I shampoo every other day. At first, this was so hard - greasy scalp looked so bad. I resorted to wearing scarves like this:

4pwb5k.jpg

OK for casual wear, but not always office-appropriate. But it got easier and seemed less greasy after a short while. On no-shampoo days that I don't wear a scarf I use baby powder or dry spray shampoo on the scalp and fluff it up. Shampooing every other day protects my color from unnecessary fade and helps calm my oily scalp down a bit. Try it and see if it works better for you - but you may have to give it a couple of weeks so that your scalp will slow down the oil.

Other options: each day, alternate between using shampoo and conditioner, then the next day just a rinse out with water only to remove styling product. Use a little leave-in conditioner on the ends on the days you just rinse. Style hair as usual. Use a good quality shampoo - try Aveda or Redken. I prefer those brands, and at my salon they sell travel-size bottles of Aveda to try so no big investment. Also, I have heard good reviews for the sulfate-free shampoos, and intend to try those myself. Personally, with fine hair I can use almost any conditioner, so I save money and go with less expensive brands. I use it only on the bottom half of the hair strand. But I need better quality (usually more $$) shampoo.

Complicated, isn't it!;) :D DH uses one product, never switches, and is quite happy!:p Ah, the simplicity!

TN Mama - how did your home color come out? Nice and easy like it says? :p

Archived