please help plan: FLL to POM

ViolaSwamp

Hi there,

So four of us are flying into FLL LATE on Friday 10/8. As in, we arrive at FLL at 12:30am on 10/9.

Our cruise is out of the Port of Miami leaving on 10/9.

I have never cruised out of POM and I'm not sure what we should plan to do when we arrive. Should we get a hotel near FLL late at night and then take a taxi to POM in the morning? Or, should we take a cab to a hotel near POM when we arrive?

I'm stymied with which is the best plan. We really only need the hotel room for a few hours of sleep, and a place to shower in the morning. I don't care if we stay near FLL and make the drive to Miami in the morning, or stay closer to POM and make the drive late when we arrive at FLL. Which is the best plan?

Please help!

Thanks!

I would stick with a hotel close to FLL which offers free shuttle service to and from the airport. This will avoid you having to pay multiple taxi / transportation service as you will only need transportation from the hotel to POM and not from FLL to the hotel in Miami and then from Miami to POM. There are many hotels in the FLL area which should help keep cost down. Just make sure they have a free shuttle especially that late at night. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for the comments! Upon perusing further I found another poster here whose strategy I am going to steal. :D

Staying at La Quinta Inn Airport FLL which has free 24-hour airport shuttle, and free breakfast. Gets good enough reviews on TripAdvisor. And with my sister being military, we will get a fantastic rate, better than Priceline. Then taking SAS transportation for $13 pp to POM in the morning. :)

One more opinion: First, the La Quinta FLL is a marginally adequate hotel. It's not really bad, but there are lots of much more pleasant hotels in the area. Second, the last thing you need after a late night flight is to wait around FLL for a "free" shuttle. several nice hotels are within a $15 dollar cab ride. Per person, this is trivial. The SAS shuttle to POM in the morning is a good idea.

One more opinion: First, the La Quinta FLL is a marginally adequate hotel. It's not really bad, but there are lots of much more pleasant hotels in the area. Second, the last thing you need after a late night flight is to wait around FLL for a "free" shuttle. several nice hotels are within a $15 dollar cab ride. Per person, this is trivial. The SAS shuttle to POM in the morning is a good idea.

Thanks for weighing in - do you have recommendations for other hotels near the FLL airport in the $80/night range? We're trying to pinch a few pennies on the hotel, since we literally will only be in it for long enough to get a bit of shut eye and a shower... we don't care so much about amenities. As long as the hotel is clean and safe... oh, we also qualify for pretty much any discount - we have AAA, Entertainment, Military, and college students all within our little group of four!

Where did you find the # for this SAS shuttle? We are trying to figure out how we are going to get back to Fort Lauderdale airport after our cruise docks in Miami. Thanks for any help.

1 954 600 0240

I called and got the machine - I didn't leave a message. I went through the e-reservation form and got a response within 20 minutes. Good luck!

http://www.ridesas.com

I've found this link to be quite helpful recently:

http://hotelguides.com/florida/port-everglades-fl-cruise-terminal-hotels.html If you click the map window on the lower right hand side, you can find hotels specific to your area.

or see if this link works..it gets rid of the guesswork:

http://hotelguides.com/florida/fort-lauderdale-fl-international-airport-hotels.html

Personally, I would go ahead and get SAS to take me to a downtown Miami hotel as soon as you get in.

You will be jacked up and not immediately ready to sleep, Bayside will still be open if you want to head over for a nightcap, you can sleep in in the morning, and you will not be worrying about getting to the port in the morning.

I don't normally recommend downtown hotels but in your case I think it is a solid idea.

• 3 weeks later...

SAS doesn't operate that late. I'm going to stay at La Quinta as it does have 24hr free shuttle and free breakfast. We are trying to save some money as my trip just keeps more and more expensive. We're going to use SAS to get us to the POM. We get in at 11:30pm.

Archived