SD Random Questions (first timers)

painkiller 56

Greetings everyone -

We've been lurking here for a while but now have a few questions to ask you guys.

First, an intro:

We were planning on getting married in the fall and started looking for honeymoon locations in January. We've never been attracted to the big ship cruises, but then found Seadream and immediately knew that it for us. We didnt even know that anything like it existed.

So we looked at itineraries for the fall time period and saw that the carribbean cruises didn't recommence until end of Nov. We couldn't wait that long, so ended up moving our wedding to April :).

So now we're booked on the April 11 Seadream 1 cruise for our honeymoon and can't wait! In fact, I asked the husband-to-be this morning if he wanted to just go ahead and fly down to St Thomas and stay there until departure. Rent a house, live the good life... He then reminded me that we still have to attend the wedding ceremony. oops.

Anyways, this will be our first Seadream experience AND first cruise. Oh - or shall i say 'yachting' experience ? So i apologize if quesions are silly.

1. We love eating and drinking, and we've seen some sample SD menus - but how big are the portions? I'm just curious if they're smaller so you can try the various courses? Do you guys normally order a starter and soup and salad and entree and dessert? Because after looking at the menus I want to :).

2. In-room hairdryers - are these good or do I need to pack my own? I'm not the kind of person that uses an industrial-strength-ionic-ceramic-whatever hairdryer, I just dont want to turn it on and wonder if I'd have a better chance drying my hair in the breeze.

3. Temperature at night - it's been a while since we've been to the carribbean and the other half is wondering if you get too warm wearing button downs and sports jackets at nite. any advice on this? As for me - I'm extremely cold natured. Does it get breezy enough to need a light jacket?

4. Ticktets - we booked through a TA, do you think we'll receive tickets from them? And when does this usually happen? I've seen mention of e-tickets? Dont know if it matters but we have no room assigned yet.

Thanks everyone for the info you share on this forum, it's been invaluable, and we look forward to becoming your fellow SD alumni.

Cheers

the painkillers

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and honeymoon ... as well as delurking!!:p

No such thing as silly questions ... so don't be afraid to ask.

DJ's DH and I find the portions just right so you can indeed enjoy all of the courses without being overly stuffed. We usually order a starter, Caesar salad, main course and then dessert.

I usually take my own travel size hairdryer.

I always take a light jacket (think Chico's Travelers) just to be safe. DJ's DH takes his trusty navy blazer but hardly wears it. Most nights he is just fine a short-sleeved button down shirt. He doesn't even bother taking long-sleeved shirts anymore.

Sounds like you booked a guaranteed rate so you won't have your cabin assignment until a few weeks or days before you sail. If you don't have e-tickets you should received your documents about 45 days before the cruise from your TA

Your TA will know if you have e-docs or the traditional docs.

Make sure that your TA notes that it is your honeymoon on your reservation.

Looking forward to you both joining our alumni group:D

As usual, DJ answers the questions! I agree -- the portions are generally quite manageable -- although last cruise I had several nights when I wasn't really hungry and asked for smaller portions -- hah! I generally do a first course, main and dessert -- cuz I have to account for the champagne and baileys the rest of the evening :)

I use SD's hairdryer -- it has the kind of button you have to hold down all the time which is a bit annoying, but it's easier than taking one. Note DJ's suggestion on another thread to take a power strip -- there is only one US type plug and one european type, so if you have cell phone, electric toothbrush, curling iron, etc., it can come in really handy.

Dinners topside may or may not need a jacket -- later in the evening is cooler. In the dining room, I usually wear some type of jacket -- Chicos, of course!

No comments on the TA as we always book directly with SD and did e-tickets last time.

You will love it!

Vandrefalk

Hello! Congratulations!!!!! We just got back from our 1st SD voyage and were totally pleased with the xpericience:

1- Food is a highlight in SD, quality and service above all, I'm not a big eater, more inclined to quality that to amount but yet you can order as many courses and repeat as much as you want, we usually had at dinner: appetizer, soup, salad, main course, dessert and cheese. The staff is there to pleased you in any way you like, just let them know they will be happy to help...

2-Hairdryers were ok, not the best, not the worse, if you have long, thick hair as I do, it wont dry your hair.. but is the caribbean so I did not mind at all, for anyone with regular hair i think it should do ok.

3-Temperatures at night were ok, you might wear a very light sweater and feel good or none at all, it was in the 70s at night. My husband only wore his jacket once, the rest o f the nights just wore a nice shirt.

4-On the tickets, do not think twice, call them and tell them you want e-tickets, that will give you a $50 spa credit.... worth it!!!!!

Enjoy and have a great honeymoon!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We were finally assigned a room for this cruise... and... it's the dreaded 324!!!

:eek:

We're still totally excited. : )

That's the spirit ... to be TOTALLY excited that you are going to be on a SD yacht in a few days:D

I will give you the same advice that I would give anyone regardless of their stateroom location ... if you are prone to seasickness or are unsure by all means take preventative measures.

Thanks for the advice - we aren't prone to seasickness but picked up some dramamine (meclizine) just in case.

Good move!

We aren't either but I always find that a Bombay Sapphire and Diet Tonic with a squeeze of lime quells the onset of seasickness:p Or if all else fails ... meclizine!

We were finally assigned a room for this cruise... and... it's the dreaded 324!!!

:eek:

We're still totally excited. : )

Hey, be nice.:D We had 324 on our first SD in Mexico. Had a great time. You get to hear the anchor drop but thats about it. Have fun.

Jim.

We had 324 (or whichever is furthest forward), in the Caribbean and it was fine (but with the normal limitations of a SD standard cabin). The only issues, and they were very minor, was that once in a while you could here music from the gym come out of the ventilator (almost sub-audible) and once in a while the crew would get a bit boisterous when accessing the forward storage area, but that only happened during the day and was not really a problem.

Didn't notice any motion problems. And you only have neigbors on one side.

And being all the way forward means no loud drunks are passing your cabin in the middle of the night :D

We had 324 (or whichever is furthest forward), in the Caribbean and it was fine (but with the normal limitations of a SD standard cabin). The only issues, and they were very minor, was that once in a while you could here music from the gym come out of the ventilator (almost sub-audible) and once in a while the crew would get a bit boisterous when accessing the forward storage area, but that only happened during the day and was not really a problem.

Didn't notice any motion problems. And you only have neigbors on one side.

And being all the way forward means no loud drunks are passing your cabin in the middle of the night :D

Loud drunks, anyone we know????:D

We were in 321 in the Caribbean. Ho-lee-cow! Felt like we were all over the place in the mildest of seas. Didn't help that DH had dreadful seasickness.

However, I'm so addicted to SD that we'd stay in 321 again.

So, whether you're in 324 or the Admiral Suite, you'll have a fabulous time!

Archived