prepaid gratuities amount

Ricky Chan

For all the thread contributors, I have asked my TA to ask X for the breakdown of the gratuities. My guessing was right. I converted the amount that X supplied in CAD$ back to US$, it exactly using 1.247 exchange rate. My TA told me that they would choose whatever rate they see fits them. Good luck to us.

You have no choice but have to prepay gratuities when you choose "select dining". This is a new policy when X offers "select dining" to prevent passenger riping off the crew.

I have no problem with this new policy but don't agree using 1.25 exchange rate, even if it was set one yr ago. Even at that time the rate was about 1.10, not 1.25 for sure. What a rip off. :mad: :mad:

Ricky

Why not choose early or late dining and then change to select on board. They'll add the tips at that time. Can you then pay off your account in US dollars?

We booked a Sky Suite - I presume that's why we paid a different amount. I thought $131 CAD per person was pretty reasonable.

No wonder, because you have to pay butler US$ 3.50 /day which we don't.

Ricky

Why not choose early or late dining and then change to select on board. They'll add the tips at that time. Can you then pay off your account in US dollars?

Next time I will do what you recommended.

I will settle the folio with credit card company exchange rate (one can choose when doing on-line check in)which is very resonable from my past experience.

Ricky

If you are going to Cruise regularly or travel to the USA for whatever other reason, I highly recommend going to your bank and asking for a US funds credit card. Its one of the smartest moves I've made. You save not only on lags in exchange rates being updated, you save on conversion fees, etc., when shopping in the US. You can't go wrong.

You still have to settle the credit card payment in US$, unless you have a US$ account.

Ricky

I do not ever do it that way. I give more or less to each one however I choose to. Tipping is a personal thing, and I do not like anyone doing it for me. I take the envelopes and give what and where I want. No matter what cruise lines....:o:o:o I do not think it is right for the cruise lines to do that. I know they are trying to protect the employee, but if they do a good job, it should not be a problem. Being a waiter or waitress is a people business, so they have to treat people right. If they do, they get good tips, if they do not, they get nothing. I never ever, tip a maitre d. they for the most part do nothing, I give that money to the waiters and assitants, who for the most part bust their buns......:(:(:(

If you have select dining, tips are automatically charged to your account in advance and are not removable.

On our last couple of cruises, I noticed the first night people were generally at their regular tables in the main dining room (RCCL & Celebrity) but in subsequent nights, the tables were often empty & people also just changed tables - I guess that is a case in favor of tips put automatically on accounts. But on my last Celebrity Solstice cruise, there was the old envelope system. Our room steward (who had been fine so far) on the very last night - did a terrible job on our room - the bed was messy - the closets were cleaned out as for the new guests and left open. Just not right at all - We did go to the desk to find out what was happening. No explanation - except that we did not present envelopes b4 dinner. We prefer to wait till after or leave it in the room on the last morning. Hate to think that is the reason. But it ruined our last evening waiting on line for help. NOW, we understand the staff depends on this income -aside from the waitstaff, how do we know the right people are being rewarded - HATE THIS NEW SYSTEM. We are good tippers but we like to present the tips to the ones that do a great job. Have cruise planned in May - guess we will see how it goes.

There is still one advantage. When you exchange cash to pay the credit card' date=' you don't have to pay the extra 2.5% that the credit card company charges on the exchange.[/quote']

I don't quite get it. The cruise company will charge the credit card company in US$. Then the credit card company will convert the amount into CAD$ and charges me.

Do you mean settle the folio in US$ by paying cash? I still have to pay the bank to buy US$. I do that all the time.

The difference here is the cruise company charges the highest exchange rate, follow by the credit card company and then the bank, most of the time.

Ricky

I don't quite get it. The cruise company will charge the credit card company in US$. Then the credit card company will convert the amount into CAD$ and charges me.

Do you mean settle the folio in US$ by paying cash? I still have to pay the bank to buy US$. I do that all the time.

The difference here is the cruise company charges the highest exchange rate, follow by the credit card company and then the bank, most of the time.

Ricky

I am referring to a credit card issued by a Canadian Bank that is in US funds.

Suppose the bill is $100.00 US and the exchange rate of the day is 1.02%. If you use a Canadian credit card in Canadian funds, you will be charged $100 plus .02% plus 2.5% (or whatever their exact charges are).

On the other hand, if you have a Credit Card in USfunds (I have BMO M/C), if you convert the money from your Canadian bank account to pay, it will cost you $100 plus .02%. You will save the 2.5%, which is charged by the Credit Card Company for the "work" of doing the conversion.

The sad thing is that even if the Canadian dollar is stronger, the Credit Card company will charge to convert. So, it really pays to have the US dollar credit card.

At the time I got mine, it was free. I don't know if it still is.

When you book your cruise and choose or buy into a package with grats in, you will be charged the exchange rate on that day & you can't fight it like the taxes charged. - no onboard credits for exchange rate diffs if you are Canadian based on the exchange on a diff date ....

At this point in time, when you sign your onboard expense do not do the Celebrity option - choose your Canuck bank and you will save... Celebrity needs to get onboard & start showing a bit a respect for Canadian travellers - finacially - Celeb fter all is suppose to be a step or two above of the competion - so treat them us Canucks with the respect of maybe we'll just choose otherwise......

Archived