prepaid gratuities amount

Ricky Chan

Just made my final payment for our May cruise.

I changed dining arrangement from "first seating" to "selected dining".

X charged CAD$ 157.84 per person for 11 day cruise. I understand it charges US $10.50 per person per day. So US$ 10.50 x 11 x current exchange rate = CAD$ 157.84.

The exchange rate looks like = 1.366, it doesn't make sense to me, the current exchange rate these days is more like 1.05.

Can anyone figure it out? :confused:

Ricky

How much do I pay in gratuities?

Subject: Payments

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.65

Assistant Waiter $2.10

Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Thought it was USD$11.50/person/day in basic cabins. $12 in CC and $15 in Suites.

What cabin class do you have?

I booked 1B 8259 which is a regular cabin. Since when X increased gratuity to US$ 11.50/person/day?

Even with increased daily gratuity, X has to use 1.25 exchange rate to come up with CAD$ 157.84/person/day. The current rate is about 1.05.

Ricky

This may help you get a little clsoer to the right amount in US, then from there you can convert for your currency.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Thanks, after using that website, it looks like X used 1.25 rate to convert into CAD$, which is outrageous high compare to current rate of 1.05.

I will tell my TA to ask X to explain how do they come up with that amount.

Thanks.

Ricky

I booked 1B 8259 which is a regular cabin. Since when X increased gratuity to US$ 11.50/person/day?

Even with increased daily gratuity, X has to use 1.25 exchange rate to come up with CAD$ 157.84/person/day. The current rate is about 1.05.

Ricky

According to the version history I keep with the Cruise Tip Calculator, Celebrity last changed their recommended tip amounts in January 2009.

As you have all noted, the tip calculator does not do Canadian dollars. Well, actually it doesn't really "know" that the daily tip amounts are any particular kind of dollars, it just does the math... but from what I'm seeing here, and have also seen elsewhere, the cruise line does not really look out for you when it comes to the conversion. I'm certain there is no way I would be able to keep up with the conversion rate that they use either.

So... despite this extra hassle, I hope the tip calculator is still helpful.

Theron

Thanks, after using that website, it looks like X used 1.25 rate to convert into CAD$, which is outrageous high compare to current rate of 1.05.

Thanks.

Ricky

X seems to use an exchange rate that is fixed for a season, they only appear to change when they are on the downside, eg as with the current value of Sterling. Presumably 1.25 was a correct xchange rate sometime in fairly recent history.

i assume X recently changed their process for billing tips?????????

we have never ever been required to prepay, they have always been charged to our ship board account

If you choose Select Dining you prepay gratuities.

Denny

Last year I went on a cruise and the TA suggested prepaying gratuities because I would be charged the equivalent amount in CDN dollars. so I did,

This year I am cruising again and asked the TA to prepay my gratuities. I always try to pay the onboard account in US$ before I leave the ship to avoid the unrealistic exchange rate, so prepaying gratuities means I do not have to take as many US$ travellers cheques. BUT, the TA said that Celebrity was going to charge me 25% exchange rate to prepay in CDN funds. with a current exchange rate always less than 7%, I declined and will pay on board. the TA said the cruise line only changes the rate quarterly, but i cannot remember recently when the rate was as high as 25%,

With that in mind, I am definately going to pay off my onboard account in US$ because I do not trust the cruise line to let my credit card company make the conversion. I know there is a form to fill out that says to let the credit card company make the conversion rather than the cruise line, but I have also heard from other cruise critic posters that sometimes that doesn't happen.

Just got off of Equinox and booked a stateroom for next year. I said I would prefer the select dining and now that I saw this thread I noticed the gratuities as part of the final payment to be 143.49 each (the 25% exchange rate). So if I change to 2nd seating at final payment, (avoiding the prepaid gratuities) and move to select prior to boarding will they charge me prior to sailing or if I wait to board and then change to select will that work?

We are Canadians who use a U.S. Visa card when we are in the States visiting our families. I also use it to pay our onboard expenses. Last year Princess exchanged to Canadian dollars then back again to U.S!:mad: Our Visa company reimbursed so this time hopefully I won't have the same problem with Celebrity.

Thanks.

Ricky

Hi Ricky

When we embarked and gave our credit card there was a option for either having Celebrity make the conversion or having your own credit card make the conversion. I was told before hand that it is always best to have your own credit card do the conversion. This is what we did and it worked out well from my perspective.

I certainly love the fact that we can do the gratituties on our sea pass instead of the old way of putting the $$$ in envelopes for everyone.

Thanks

Val:)

Just got off of Equinox and booked a stateroom for next year. I said I would prefer the select dining and now that I saw this thread I noticed the gratuities as part of the final payment to be 143.49 each (the 25% exchange rate). So if I change to 2nd seating at final payment, (avoiding the prepaid gratuities) and move to select prior to boarding will they charge me prior to sailing or if I wait to board and then change to select will that work?

For all the thread contributors, I have asked my TA to ask X for the breakdown of the gratuities. My guessing was right. I converted the amount that X supplied in CAD$ back to US$, it exactly using 1.247 exchange rate. My TA told me that they would choose whatever rate they see fits them. Good luck to us.

You have no choice but have to prepay gratuities when you choose "select dining". This is a new policy when X offers "select dining" to prevent passenger riping off the crew.

I have no problem with this new policy but don't agree using 1.25 exchange rate, even if it was set one yr ago. Even at that time the rate was about 1.10, not 1.25 for sure. What a rip off. :mad: :mad:

Ricky

Thanks.

Ricky

Relax, man. You. Guys won the gold in hockey!

Ricky can you take Select once you get on board and then pay with currency you have converted to US yourself? Is that an option? I am not sure how many people convert to Select after boarding, maybe someone can help.

Good question. Never thought about it. Perhaps someone has done it before can tell us his/her experience.

Ricky

Archived