Who Wants an End to HAL Formal Nights Entirely?

sail7seas

Come to think of it, if I *had* been out on some excursions -- for instance, ones that you get on a bus, drive around the city for a while, and come back to the ship -- I would think it unlikely that you would need to change for dinner then, either. We have rarely done that (once I think), so I can't be sure, but, I could see where it would play out where no changing was needed.

See my "thirdly."

My point is, while there are times when it makes sense to shower and change for dinner -- when you are sweaty and grungy -- but, I think a lot of this goes back to an old tradition about "changing for dinner", which has nothing to do with hygiene. If someone showered in the morning, and sat and read a book all day, there is no reason, in my opinion, for them to shower and to change again before dinner. It seems to me folks feel they need to follow through with some tradition, even when it doesn't make sense.

If I've been sitting and reading a book all day long I might not need to shower again, but I'll probably need to shave (I have to shave twice or I have severe shadow by dinner time). That means I wash my face, hands, etc. I will often wash my hair, again, because the wind on deck has given me "bad hair." And, I will change clothing because during the day I've been wearing shorts and a casual polo shirt and I prefer to dress up a little bit, even on Smart Casual Nights. Why? Because I ENJOY IT. It makes enough sense to me, and that's reason enough. Should you have to? If you don't think you need to shower or otherwise bathe, and if -- as you state -- what you wore during the day qualifies for Smart Causal wear during the evening, then have at it. Most people's daytime clothing doesn't even come close to qualifying, however.

I plan to do Pilates on the ship. I will shower before I go (because I can't stand to start my day without a shower), shower again after my class (because, if I do it right, I'll have built up a sweat), and then, no, I won't shower or change clothes before dinner. That just seems excessive, to me.

I assume you'll wash your hands and face? Touch up your make up?

See my "thirdly."

If I've been sitting and reading a book all day long I might not need to shower again, but I'll probably need to shave (I have to shave twice or I have severe shadow by dinner time). That means I wash my face, hands, etc. And, I will change clothing because during the day I've been wearing shorts and a casual polo shirt and I prefer to dress up a little bit, even on Smart Casual Nights. Why? Because I ENJOY IT. It makes enough sense to me, and that's reason enough. Should you have to? If you don't think you need to shower or otherwise bathe, and if -- as you state -- what you wore during the day qualifies for Smart Causal wear during the evening, then have at it. Most people's daytime clothing doesn't even come close to qualifying, however.

I assume you'll wash your hands and face? Touch up your make up?

I didn't quite know how to address #3, because it doesn't make sense to me. I think that any any germs you are likely to encounter are already on the ship. If you encounter germs at some port, and you send the clothes to the laundry, the laundry workers are exposed to it. Unless they change clothes between loads (unlikely ;-)) the germs can travel from person to person BECAUSE you changed clothes.

Knowing a bit about infectious disease, I think that going off the ship really isn't a risk factor.

I wash my hands several times during the day, but my face only when I shower. And, I don't always wear make-up. If I do.... no, I'm not likely to "touch it up". I don't wear lipstick at all, and the rest seems to make it okay through the day.

I could do without it as long as there were some standards like no jeans, no shorts, no tee-shirts ect.

Why? If it is relaxed to accommodate the less-than-formal, why not accommodate those that want to wear jeans and shorts? Basically the same arguments can be used.

My wife and I enjoy formal nights and HAL. We want formal nights to stay.

This is a reason why we are not sailing other 'casual only' lines.

Definitively, we want formal nights.

brian

My wife Janna and I like the formal nights, its about the only time we get to be really dressed up. Myself in a Tux and her in a formal outfit have made some excellent pictures for both ourselves and parents over the years. If for any reason we don't feel like going formal on that night, we skip the dining room and eat the Lido or in our room. On 1 back in 2004 she was a bit seasick on formal night, so we skipped it.

Cheers,

I didn't quite know how to address #3, because it doesn't make sense to me. I think that any any germs you are likely to encounter are already on the ship. If you encounter germs at some port, and you send the clothes to the laundry, the laundry workers are exposed to it. Unless they change clothes between loads (unlikely ;-)) the germs can travel from person to person BECAUSE you changed clothes.

Knowing a bit about infectious disease, I think that going off the ship really isn't a risk factor.

I wash my hands several times during the day, but my face only when I shower. And, I don't always wear make-up. If I do.... no, I'm not likely to "touch it up". I don't wear lipstick at all, and the rest seems to make it okay through the day.

I really feel for you,to be interrogated on a message board about your make up. You don't owe ANYBODY an explanation. Perhaps you should lawyer up before they put you under the light.

This board is making me feel very unclean. Because of eczema, I usually only take a shower every other day, unless I've done something especially sweaty. Now I learn that two showers a day seems to be the bare minimum! :)

By the sound of it, they're fast becoming a part of "da code", aren't they?:cool:

I really feel for you,to be interrogated on a message board about your make up. You don't owe ANYBODY an explanation. Perhaps you should lawyer up before they put you under the light.

Interrogated???

To make you feel better, I will admit that during my mission trip to a remote area of Honduras, I did not shower for one entire week and lived on spit baths. You would have had to be there to understand.

This board is making me feel very unclean. Because of eczema, I usually only take a shower every other day, unless I've done something especially sweaty. Now I learn that two showers a day seems to be the bare minimum! :)

What some people need/prefer in terms of number of showers/baths per day is entirely personal preference. If some feel they don't need two or ten baths a day, it's certainly their business. Likewise, those of us who feel we need to bathe a couple of times per day shouldn't be made to feel bad because we do.

The conversation somehow veered into this subject, and for my participation in that I'm sorry. I never inteded to "interrogate" somebody ... I'm not a member of the Inquisition ... Spanish or otherwise; interrogations are more in Copper's line of work.

To make you feel better, I will admit that during my mission trip to a remote area of Honduras, I did not shower for one entire week and lived on spit baths. You would have had to be there to understand.

My husband's in the Navy, and on their last deployment, they were all forbidden from showering for days due to water restrictions. He said people were buying bottled water from the ship store just to wash their hair. I've since gotten him a bottle of dry shampoo to take with him on future outings.

What some people need/prefer in terms of number of showers/baths per day is entirely personal preference. If some feel they don't need two or ten baths a day, it's certainly their business. Likewise, those of us who feel we need to bathe a couple of times per day shouldn't be made to feel bad because we do.

Absolutely! Personal grooming habits are just that...personal. I know a woman whose bathing routine is to shower each morning and take a bath each night just before going to bed. She firmly believes that her bathing routine should be adopted by all becauses "it's just plain gross" to go to bed without taking a bath first. I simply listen and don't express my thoughts on the subject. Some people are so hell-bent that their way is the only way it's not worth the time or effort to discuss differences.

As long as you don't reek of BO :eek:, I couldn't care less how often one bathes. :p

Yikes, I know where I won't be spending my next vacation:D.

As long as you don't reek of BO :eek:, I couldn't care less how often one bathes. :p

I'm with you on that one. The unfortunate part is that some peeps seem to be immune to their own smell:eek:. I had a guy laugh at me at the airport for taking SO much luggage. I had 2 bags. The guy smelled SO bad. I would have appreciated if he took more clothes and had a bath or shower so I wouldn't have to smell him 1/2 the ship away.

I Just came upon this thread. To get back to the original subject. I spend most of my life this time of year in shorts and a T shirt. The thought of putting on a tux and getting all dressed up does not appeal to me at all. Once on board though I enjoy getting dressed up and going formal, it makes for a special evening. Everyone looks so good in their formal wear. So take a shower, get cleaned up, you'll be surprised at how good you look.

:eek: Just look around. Churches that are growing have members that are casual and listen to upbeat music. Couples are getting married on the beach. All tuxed up is for old people trying to recapture that youth that was. ;) If I want snob appeal there are cruise lines for that. HAL is trying to survive in the modern world of casual. I would be happy to never have to wear a tie again.:):):) I don't even bother to pack a suit.

:eek: Just look around. Churches that are growing have members that are casual and listen to upbeat music. Couples are getting married on the beach. All tuxed up is for old people trying to recapture that youth that was. ;) If I want snob appeal there are cruise lines for that. HAL is trying to survive in the modern world of casual. I would be happy to never have to wear a tie again.:):):) I don't even bother to pack a suit.

*shrug* I do my best to attend Mass that has traditional music instead of "new" stuff, and know many, many people who do the same. We paid a good deal extra to make sure our wedding was held indoors (for various reasons, couldn't get married in the Catholic church). We had to do everything we could to talk my dad out of wearing a tux to it. At 23, I don't think we're "old people trying to recapture the youth that was". I think we're young people who look for a little elegance and tradition in a world that is increasingly void of it.

Archived