Haifa 1/4/10 Spirit, Private Tour anyone interested?

Hi, I've got details for a private Northern Israel tour from Haifa.Its provided by GuidedTourIisrael.com who i found recommended on this site. I was looking at the one that covers all religions and was wondering if people might fancy joining my partner and I on this?

The price will come out at US$99 per person if we can get together 6-10 people and we're 2 already!

Check out the link below for further info , http://www.guidedtoursisrael.com/shore-excursions.html

Just thought it may allow a little more working to our own pace...

I would have been really interested in this, as I really want to see as much as possible of Haifa - unfortunately my husband will only go on Thomson excursions, as he is worried about not getting back to the ship on time and it leaving port without us! :rolleyes:

It would be interesting to hear how it goes though. Looks like a really interesting itinerary!

Yes, my other half feels the same way although i just about persuaded him by showing him the reviews of private tours on this site.We will probably do the Thomson trips if only the two of us going due to price .It is only our second cruise and we are not that adventurous yet!!

My husband had a look at the website and between that and me pointing out to him that there's more chance of something going wrong on a Thomson excursion (we haven't been very lucky in the past! :rolleyes:), he is now quite happy to to a private tour!

So that would be 4 of us - maybe we could put a thread in the ports of call section too, as I know there have been some posts in the Africa/Middle East board from people going on Pharoahs and Promised Land.

My only concern about this is with regard to arranging a time to meet the guide. Don't know if you have been to Israel before on a cruise, but everybody has to meet with the Israeli customs in person regardless of whether you are going ashore or not. Last time we were there the passengers were being called down to meet them in groups and we were delayed by about an hour because of problems with some passports. From what I gather, this happens quite a lot! :rolleyes:

Fab, and then there was four... Iv'e never been to Israel before so haven't experienced the delays but i suppose if they happen all the time the company might expect it.

I'll e-mail and check it out.:)

It sounds like a good idea to put a thread on the ports off call forum as well, I'm a bit new to all of this and hadn't thought of that myself!

We are going to Israel on this cruise and have contacted the tour company - we will be looking to book with them on the semi private tours priced at

From Haifa to Northern Israel: $99 per person

From Ashdod to Jerusalem-Bethlehem/Museums: $115 per person

From Ashdod to Jerusalem-Dead Sea: $135 per person

from both Haifa and Ashdod

You don't have to find any other people they will arrange the filling of the bus , we have been on alot of tours from ports and have always found good ones, finding smaller groups better - can't find anything against them on any review sites

We specifically booked this cruise for the Israel stops , not too fussed about Egyptian tours since we've been to cairo and pyramids etc and will probably go somewhere near the port when we stop.

Let us know if you are booking with them and we'll see you on the bus

jim

Hi, Jim we will definately be doing the Haifa Northern Israel tour. I was hoping to pay no more than the $99 and now there are at least 6 of us that should be ok (I'm presuming you are at least 2??).

I was also thinking about the Jerusalem/Dead Sea option but I'm worried that Jerusalem will be extremely crowded due to it being Good Friday and I'm not that great in packed crowds so may give this a miss (Crazy, i know!)

I was also thinking about the Jerusalem/Dead Sea option but I'm worried that Jerusalem will be extremely crowded due to it being Good Friday and I'm not that great in packed crowds so may give this a miss (Crazy, i know!)

I was going to ask if you were considering going on any of the excursions from Ashdod. I really want to visit Jerusalem again and had intended doing so on this cruise until I realised that it will be Good Friday, and now I'm not so sure!! The main place I would like to go to is the Church of the Holy Sepulchre as last time I was there it was Passover and it was very busy - the church was jam packed with tourists and as we only had 15 mins I didn't really see much!

By the way Cherie, I also have a similar problem with crowds as I suffer from panic attacks, so I understand your concerns! On the one hand I feel like I should grab the opportunity to see Jerusalem again, but on the other hand I wouldn't want to go and not enjoy the experience because of crowds!

I totally agree!! I've never been so torn.It's my first visit to Israel and I'm sure I may regret not visiting Jerusalem.I've asked the tour operator for advice but I'm sure they may be a little biased!:DI've asked about the delays as well.

You may need to confirm your names direct with the company re Haifa tour so they can add you to the group booking.

Will update re delays when I hear back, not long now...

That's no problem.

I asked for some advice on another board a couple of weeks ago about what it would be like on Good Friday... Here is the the link - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1159590

The person who replied seemed to think it was manageable, although I was doing some research (good old google! :D) and from what I've gathered there may be processions of with people carrying crosses etc.

Hi we have provisionally booked for the Haifa trip.

I have asked to change the Ashdod to Jerusalem-Bethlehem/Museums: $115 per person to the dead sea trip in the afternoon because I have read that there are sometimes problems going into Bethlehem and that others discourage half day trips there if you are on a cruise. The guides in Bethlehem will be local palestinian and not affiliated to the israeli tour company.

The company replied saying that they would discuss with others on the trip.

Actually we are only really interested in Jerusalem and think there is enough to see there without anything else

Although it is a friday and most things shut after mid day the only problem may be not all shops / cafes be open so make sure we get a packed lunch/tea and a drink

jim - ps there are two of us

That's no problem.

I asked for some advice on another board a couple of weeks ago about what it would be like on Good Friday... Here is the the link - http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1159590

The person who replied seemed to think it was manageable, although I was doing some research (good old google! :D) and from what I've gathered there may be processions of with people carrying crosses etc.

Hi tummysmummy,just to let you know that when I looked today Thomson seems to have added Jerusalem and Bethlehem as a trip from Haifa!!That means a relatively quiet Thursday and could be a great option for us:)

Jim, I've e-mailed Thomson for confirmation of the trips available from Haifa.If they come back to me saying that Jerusalem is now possible on this day then I will do this on 01/04/2010 and the Massada and Dead Sea tour from Ashdod. This is what i originally hoped to do but it didn't appear to be an option when the itinerary changed.

Please accept my apologies if this causes difficulty with the private tour:o

We have just returned from this cruise......the trips to Jerusalem are available from Haifa and Ashdod and if you did the Cairo trips from Port Said it is nice to have a day off in Ashdod!!!!

We did the Nazareth and Galilee trip from Haifa with Thomson and for a cost of £70 per person I personally don't think it would be worth doing it privately for a cost of £66 ($99) ......We had an excellent day with an excellent guide ....visiting the church of the Beatitudes on the Mount of the same name where Jesus preached the Sermon on the Mount....we drove right around the Sea of Galilee along the Golan Heights to a Kibbutz on the River Jordan where Christ was baptized and where people were immersing themselves in the river (nice stop) we then had lunch with wine and water (no cost) at a kibbutz on the shores of Galilee....we also went to Capernaum and then to Nazareth where we visited the church of the Anunciation and the Church of St Joseph and then had a short amount of free time........this trip lasted 10 and a half hours and our guide pointed out many interesting facts during the trip and we felt it was excellent value. It was certainly a very full day and, as some have said, you know the ship is waiting for you !!

The Israeli immigration can be a bit of a pain but on this occasion we went straight through....they like to see every person face to face but as usual with Thomson their organisation was excellent and it was a breeze !!

Archived