Where is a must eat place in Seattle?

anamanxs

We will be in Seattle from May 8th to the 11th before we cruise to ALASKA and wondered where the must eat places are. We have all the sites planed so now is the food part. We are staying at the Quality Suites on John St., but will be visiting the Zoo, The market, and Space Needle, getting the City Pass. And ideas would be appreciated. (4 adults and a Toddler). :D

So many choices! Can you give us a hint about what kind of foods you like?

One place I like for lunch at the Market is the Pink Door. It's in Post Alley and there's no sign--just a Pepto Bismol-pink door. The food is Italian and generally very good, but the thing to go there for is the view. They have tables (and heaters, if it's cool out) out on a patio that looks across the top of the Market, out to Elliott Bay and the Olympics beyond. it's one of the most prettiest settings I know for a casual lunch.

Thumbs up for Dick's Drive-in, but go late at night if you can. Four word order: "Deluxe, fries, chocolate shake"

Thumbs down for Icon Grill. Never found it to be anything special, and it is expensive for the type of food you get.

Pink Door is good, but is it a "must-eat"? Meh. On a nice day, sit outside. view is excellent.

A few thoughts of my own:

Seafood: Ray's Boathouse (10 minute+ drive from hotel though)

Steak: Metropolitan Grill (not great for toddler though)

Cheap: A few good Chinese places in the Int'l District. Jade Garden for dimsum.

Breakfast (near Seattle Center/Space Needle): Toulouse Petit has a breakfast happy hour. All entrees $6 between 9-11 AM.

Mexican: La Carta de Oaxaca (out in Ballard neighborhood). Best mexican I've ever had!

We are staying at the Sheraton pre-cruise in July and want to walk to Pike's Place Market for lunch and/or dinner. We want someplace casual, with a view if possible (but not a necessity) and good quality, reasonably priced food. Don't want upscale, dressy place. Any place like that around/in Pike's Place? What about in the general vicinity of the Sheraton? We won't have a car so wanted to walk to wherever we find to eat. :cool:

We are staying at the Sheraton pre-cruise in July and want to walk to Pike's Place Market for lunch and/or dinner. We want someplace casual, with a view if possible (but not a necessity) and good quality, reasonably priced food. Don't want upscale, dressy place. Any place like that around/in Pike's Place? What about in the general vicinity of the Sheraton? We won't have a car so wanted to walk to wherever we find to eat. :cool:

At Pike Place Market, your best bet would be to start in the morning simply walk around, shop, take in the sights, and while you're at it, try a bit of everything that catches your eye. French pastries, baked goods, samples from various vendors, Mac & Cheese from Beecher's, chowder at Pike Place Chowder, and on and on.

PIKE Place Market.

Even upscale in Seattle is seldom dressy. There are numerous places, depending on what kind of food you want. Not too many with good views but a few. Place Pigalle might fit the bill - http://www.placepigalle-seattle.com/ or maybe Maximilien - http://www.maximilienrestaurant.com/ or the terrace at the Pink Door - http://www.thepinkdoor.net/ or even Lowell's - http://www.eatatlowells.com/main/

The market is full of good restaurants, food stalls, walk-away places and noshing opportunities. Most are very reasonably priced, depending on your definition.

With your added information, I'd say to just show up at the Market and follow your nose. There are TONS of places there, from walk-up counters to full-service upscale restaurants and everything in between. You'll find lots of seafood, of course, but also all kinds of various ethnic foods/restaurants. We could make a ton of recommendations, but in the end, you'll find a place when you're there in person that just pulls you in for whatever reason. Leave plenty of time and just go, explore the Market. You really can't go wrong.

Lowells or Athenian Cafe at the market is very low key, very good good all with spectacular views out the window. Good for lunch or dinner. Athenian is where Rob Reiner had lunch with Tom Hanks in sleepless inSeattle. Market is 1st and pike and sheraton is 6th and pike. Very easy walk

The Met is great, but it costs the national debt to eat there. Of course, the see and be seen atmosphere is often worth it just for whom you might run into.......Lou Piniella just loves the place, used to go there all the time while managing here.

It's not a true match for their steak dinners, but you can make a pretty good meal off happy hour munchies at the Met! Happy hour food prices at the bar are quite reasonable, especially when you've looked at the regular menu. Of course, you'll probably end up drinking at least one $8.00 cocktail, but if you can practice a little restraint, it can still work out to be a bargain.

I use to travel to Seattle quite often for work--but i always liked going to Ivar's Salmon House, the original, on Lake Washington (or Lake Union).

Yep, that would be the Salmon House at the north end of Lake Union. Would be a taxi ride from the downtown hotels, but definitely a good option.

Etta's is always a great choice -- their brunch is especially good :)

http://tomdouglas.com/index.php/restaurants/ettas

I got good advice from Seattle residents regarding where to eat at night-time. Where is a good place within a short distance from The Red Lion on Fifth Avenue Hotel for breakfast? We don't really want to eat at the Hotel. Thanks..

I got good advice from Seattle residents regarding where to eat at night-time. Where is a good place within a short distance from The Red Lion on Fifth Avenue Hotel for breakfast? We don't really want to eat at the Hotel. Thanks..
Turn left (west) at the corner of 5th and Pike (closest intersection to the hotel) and walk four blocks to the Pike Market. Go straight into the main arcade, turn right, and go 100 feet to either the Athenian or Lowell's, for perfectly good breakfasts with perfectly wonderful views.

I need a little help. My husband and I were in Seattle 2 years ago and noticed a restaurant really close to the aquarium. I think it has been featured on "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives". Can someone give me the name of the restaurant and is it really good? Also, we ate at Ruth Chris's Steakhouse (dissapointed in this) where we also saw a Cheesecake Factory. What hotel is in that area? Thanks for your information.

I need a little help. My husband and I were in Seattle 2 years ago and noticed a restaurant really close to the aquarium. I think it has been featured on "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives". Can someone give me the name of the restaurant and is it really good?

Was it The Crab Pot? http://www.pier57seattle.com/restaurants.html DD&D would probably like their Seafeast--they cover the table with butcher paper, give everybody mallets and crackers, and dump out a great big pot of steamed shellfish (crab, clams, mussels, shrimp, oysters) plus salmon, halibut, potatoes, corn on the cob, and andouille sausage. I've watched people eat it--it looks totally primal and delicious.

The local foodies scoff, as they do with anyplace popular with tourists, but I liked the Crab Pot well enough. It's not fancy, but the food was perfectly fresh and tasty.

I'd like to visit Georgias Greek restaurant next time we're in Seattle for our Alaska cruise in June. This place was featured on DDD and it looked pretty good. Has anybody been to this place? Any info?
Been there. Meh - pretty average Greek food. Not at all convenient location for visitors unless you have a car.

They have music and a belly dancer a couple of days per week - the restaurant's layout really doesn't lend itself to either IMO, but they do pack in the folks.

Archived